First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Bummer that happened, hopefully everyone will recover. Rivian does seem to have created a pretty safe vehicle.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Rivian has about 3500 lbs on the Toyota, so not really a surprise. Toyota seems to have held up well, assuming B pillar was cut by first responders.
According to the article the R1S was stopped waiting to turn left. All of the energy was generated from the Toyota.

Sponsored

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S
Toyota was the out of control one, who slid into the Rivian waiting to turn. 82 is such a dangerous road in general. Lived up there and commuted it for a year - no fun in snow and ice.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
According to the article the R1S was stopped waiting to turn left. All of the energy was generated from the Toyota.
Kinetic energy is 1/2 * Mass * Velocity^2. Rivian being stationary definitely reduced the energy in the crash. However it does not change the G forces experienced by the occupants in the vehicles. If Rivian was travelling slower and hit the Toyota, it would be effectively the same.

Also, it's 2500lbs difference. I guess it's too late for me to do basic math.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

That highway unfortunately sees a lot of this. They widened it some years ago and I think it may have made it LESS safe somehow. Now people just drive faster.

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

Man I hope the passengers of the Toyota are ok. Both appear to be a total loss. Would have been much worse if both vehicles were moving at a higher rate of speed and hit head on.

Sponsored

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S
That highway unfortunately sees a lot of this. They widened it some years ago and I think it may have made it LESS safe somehow. Now people just drive faster.
It feels like a freeway, but it's not - lots of turning traffic leading to some horrific accidents. That section from Willits through Emma and Old Basalt is 45 limit (although the design feels about the same as the 65 sections), but nobody goes it - once again add curves, ice and a little inattention, and you have a recipe for disaster.

And then don't get me started on the rush hour carpool lanes they planted in the left lane of traffic. Fun fact - they're not even able to write tickets for HOV violations due to its non-standard design (they never held up in court), but it remains as it was a requirement of the widening.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

It feels like a freeway, but it's not - lots of turning traffic leading to some horrific accidents. That section from Willits through Emma and Old Basalt is 45 limit (although the design feels about the same as the 65 sections), but nobody goes it - once again add curves, ice and a little inattention, and you have a recipe for disaster.

And then don't get me started on the rush hour carpool lanes they planted in the left lane of traffic. Fun fact - they're not even able to write tickets for HOV violations due to its non-standard design (they never held up in court), but it remains as it was a requirement of the widening.
Yeah, that carpool lane was a dumb idea from the start. The speeding and distracted driving can’t be blamed on the design though. Unfortunately that is an issue everywhere now. 😕

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S
Yeah, that carpool lane was a dumb idea from the start. The speeding and distracted driving can’t be blamed on the design though. Unfortunately that is an issue everywhere now. 😕
Sure - it's on them, but if roads are designed to the speed limit, then you get more compliance and safer roads. As much as I hate Denver's throw a bunch of shit in the street approach to traffic calming and speed reduction (ugly to look at, especially after people start running into the posts), it does reduce speeds in the areas deployed.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

Sure - it's on them, but if roads are designed to the speed limit, then you get more compliance and safer roads. As much as I hate Denver's throw a bunch of shit in the street approach to traffic calming and speed reduction (ugly to look at, especially after people start running into the posts), it does reduce speeds in the areas deployed.
Totally agree.

I live in Loveland right now and their solution appears to be installing as many roundabouts as they can fit per square mile. It’s not helping😑

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata