First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I've used the Ford system. True, it's not as snappy or as aesthetically-pleasing, but the CarPlay integration is fantastic. It communicates efficiency and state of charge to the phone for planning charging stops. I've said it many times, but CarPlay is not a band-aid. It is a feature. It may be one you don't care about, but it does not replace the full infotainment stack. I trust Apple and Google to develop a better app experience much more than I trust Rivian. I'm also not willing to let my car dictate my music service. Tidal does not provide the features Apple Music provides.
Apple Music isn’t that great honestly. I just canceled it. The Tidal mixes seem to be better than Apple’s are, at least for the electronic/EDM type music I listen to. I would have never known that had Rivian supported Apple Music over Tidal. Thanks Rivian.
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Apple Music isn’t that great honestly. I just canceled it. The Tidal mixes seem to be better than Apple’s are, at least for the electronic/EDM type music I listen to. I would have never known that had Rivian supported Apple Music over Tidal. Thanks Rivian.
Glad you found something you like better, but sound quality is only one part of the equation. Apple's is pretty damn good, better than Spotify for sure, but no one has anything that competes with the iTunes Music Library feature.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

This was inevitable and won't be the last of Rivian layoffs. If you're losing $145,000 a vehicle because you cannot increase volumn quickly enough, then this is your only course of action. A few analysts have stated they need to make 200,000 a year a current pricing to approach break-even with existing conditions...

I'm not worried, as I believe if Rivian doesn't survive (and I believe they will), they will be picked up by Apple or someone of that ilk.......love my R1T! Lightning strategy was flawless, which is market to existing F150 stylists who absolutely are in FOMO mode....

Look at my truck, who in their right mind wouldn't love that thing?! ;)

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian to cut 6% of workforce amid price war 20230201_121159

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Common refrain on this forum. Someone states their opinion, you respond with sarcastic snark and the occasional insult, person replies with snark in-kind, and you can't seem to handle it. If anyone has hurt feelings I think it's you.
To be clear, the butthurt report was actually aimed at you, in agreement with @Dark-Fx. Please point to the location on the doll where the internet hurt you today.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

hopefully this doesnt impact production. Rivian really needs to continue to ramp that up to survive.
shut down the Hub(s). while cool, not worth it.
trim marketing/PR/comms teams. there is enough grassroots channels they dont need a large team.
probably cut Guides too, just doesnt scale. push vehicles and customers to the Shop.
cut customer support, just use chatGPT. probably get the same answers CS gives out.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
To be clear, the butthurt report was actually aimed at you, in agreement with @Dark-Fx. Please point to the location on the doll where the internet hurt you today.
I'm aware, because his "hurt" response to me is what kicked off this whole sub-thread. Again, seems like the two of you are the hurt ones if you can't accept a little criticism of Rivian's approach to software.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I have both Spotify for a long time and only more recently Apple Music since Spotify refuses to support the Homepod. I definitely think Spotify is the better music service, but I loathe their interaction with Apple as a corporate entity. They'd rather do battle than use existing/new APIs to advance the customer experience. But between the two services, Spotify's music discovery is far better than Apple Music.

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm aware, because his "hurt" response to me is what kicked off this whole sub-thread. Again, seems like the two of you are the hurt ones if you can't accept a little criticism of Rivian's approach to software.
I can see your point of view. I currently like the Rivian interface but I can see an advantage to having carplay/apple whatever it's called as an app (Inception much?). But I have never used it myself.

Personally I would be happy if I could run a raspberry pi and have the audio/video streamed into the current display. :) At a minimum it would be really nice to be able to play flac from usb...

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I have both Spotify for a long time and only more recently Apple Music since Spotify refuses to support the Homepod. I definitely think Spotify is the better music service, but I loathe their interaction with Apple as a corporate entity. They'd rather do battle than use existing/new APIs to advance the customer experience. But between the two services, Spotify's music discovery is far better than Apple Music.
I wouldn’t be so quick to blame Spotify, Apple are really assholes when it comes to the companies they do business with. They are one of the most valuable companies in the history of the world and they are sure to throw that weight around as much as possible.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I wouldn’t be so quick to blame Spotify, Apple are really assholes when it comes to the companies they do business with. They are one of the most valuable companies in the history of the world and they are sure to throw that weight around as much as possible.
Sure, but as much as Spotify bitches about that, Apple provided an API to enable Siri access on the HomePod without relying on the phone years ago. Pandora and several others implemented it immediately. Now several years later despite many, many pages of comments requesting it from customers in their support forum Spotify refuses to implement it. So yeah, Apple can certainly act in their own self-interest, but Spotify can fart into the wind if they're going to talk about access on Apple's platform if they aren't even going to implement access customers are demanding with freely available APIs. For that matter, they make using AirPlay from your phone more difficult than necessary because Spotify would rather do things "their way" instead of the platform-native way. From a user experience perspective doing things that go against the UI/UX standards provides a sub-par experience for the user. It's like companies that insist on developing an app using some common framework rather than native tools. Sure, it's cheaper to develop one cohesive multi-platform app, but the user experience suffers on all platforms as a result.

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I have heard that a decent number of guides and admin were part of the 6%. I doubt they would be cutting personnel on the floor at Normal. If people lost touch with their guide recently or had one switch, this could be why. Could be beginning of the end for that part of the business. Maybe they’ll bolster CS to make up for it.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

It isn't factory floor people. They just had a hiring event in Normal this weekend lol.

I would assume it is guides and the first drive folks. They ramped up too quickly without seeing what the demand would be. I personally haven't talked to my guide since purchasing back in August.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
There are posts on reddit claiming software engineers were let go. Also low morale. But of course the developers you let go are the ones claiming low morale.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Based on my personal experience... cut the Rivian Guides first (useless), and then the phone supports.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
This comment from the Electrek article rings true.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian to cut 6% of workforce amid price war 1675291160110
Sponsored