Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
It's the best I've ever experienced in a vehicle, by a long shot. See how easy it is for there to be other opinions? I know your kids just taught you how to use your iPhone, but try to keep up.
You’re entitled to your opinion, never said you weren’t, so who exactly needs to keep up here?

The infotainment is a common complaint in every review. It’s not some obscure opinion. It’s missing basic features I had in a 2014 RAM, like SMS and USB audio. That’s not to even mention CarPlay. Some of y’all see a big, pretty screen that’s quick to respond and think that’s all that’s important. If that makes you happy good for you! But feature-wise it’s severely lacking as reported by numerous auto journos and customers alike.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You guys are going to be a bundle of joy once we actually have a recession.
Lucky for you we're already in one. Now a depression, that's when things will really get fun.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I've been an engineer and a manager of engineering teams.

These are not mutually-exclusive items. There are undoubtedly different teams devoted to these elements.

I didn't say it was, but for the pedantic: cut the software team(s) responsible for the infotainment.
If this conversation was about a company like Microsoft, then I might believe that there would be a dedicated team for working on one small element of a very complex system. I don't see Rivian this way, it's an agile thinly staffed startup. I've worked with software developers for decades designing hardware and the typical case with GOOD companies is that the firmware/software developers wear many hats, and often it's simply a matter of priories that define how well each application progresses. The companies that do well continue to get a lot from a small team, and the team members evolve in their responsibilities as applications stabilize.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
If this conversation was about a company like Microsoft, then I might believe that there would be a dedicated team for working on one small element of a very complex system. I don't see Rivian this way, it's an agile thinly staffed startup. I've worked with software developers for decades designing hardware and the typical case with GOOD companies is that the firmware/software developers wear many hats, and often it's simply a matter of priories that define how well each application progresses. The companies that do well continue to get a lot from a small team, and the team members evolve in their responsibilities as applications stabilize.
All the more reason to focus the strategy on true differentiation rather than attempting to recreate everyone’s preferred apps.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

All the more reason to focus the strategy on true differentiation rather than attempting to recreate everyone’s preferred apps.
I have yet to really see where Rivian is truly attempting to do this. If you ever expect them to, you should probably sell your Rivian and your Rivian stock.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I have yet to really see where Rivian is truly attempting to do this. If you ever expect them to, you should probably sell your Rivian and your Rivian stock.
You are right, we haven't seen them attempt this, which is my point. Their actions don't match their stated position.

Fred6v

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi avant, VW Tiguan
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

You’re entitled to your opinion, never said you weren’t, so who exactly needs to keep up here?

The infotainment is a common complaint in every review. It’s not some obscure opinion. It’s missing basic features I had in a 2014 RAM, like SMS and USB audio. That’s not to even mention CarPlay. Some of y’all see a big, pretty screen that’s quick to respond and think that’s all that’s important. If that makes you happy good for you! But feature-wise it’s severely lacking as reported by numerous auto journos and customers alike.
Can you two fellas take it out to the parking lot? This is getting old.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You are right, we haven't seen them attempt this, which is my point. Their actions don't match their stated position.
"Don't reinvent the wheel!"

They aren't.

"Stop trying to reinvent the wheel, you're not doing it properly!"

I thought we already established they weren't.

-Fin-

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

This is not how it works. The programmers writing firmware for the motors are not going to hop over to develop the media UI.

The sections of the software require specific skill sets to be done properly. There will be dedicated teams for each section of the vehicle.

That being said, their software management teams are horrible and should be the first people to be fired. Time and time again they prove that they cannot write proper software requirements and the end result is garbage. Real rookie mistakes and no excuse for them.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
"Don't reinvent the wheel!"

They aren't.

"Stop trying to reinvent the wheel, you're not doing it properly!"

I thought we already established they weren't.

-Fin-
"We want screen projection!"

We can do better!

"Okay, then do it!"

Here's Tidal!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Dark days for Rivian. My heart goes out to all the folks let go. Stock is down another 3.6% on the news which puts the market cap only 4 billion higher than their cash on hand. Considering Rivian has an order for 100k delivery vans from Amazon worth billions, the passenger vehicle side of Rivian is essentially worthless. The lack of EV rebates on any of their vehicles combined with price pressure from Tesla along with the cooling economy is quite the headwind for Rivian. I expect my stock to go to zero. That way I can only be pleasantly surprised. I hope we don't all end up like the folks who bought Fisker Karmas. 🤞
Im going to preface this by saying I’m no expert. Just asking the question… But if there is a better return on the Amazon Vans, why not temporarily stop production on the Truck / SUV and focus all attention on Van production?
Sponsored