Sponsored

Rivian Trade-In

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
Just received the 8-steps WOO-HOOO!!!!

Then immediately deflated, Rivian trade in was 8-10k less than what I had anticipated (what KBB suggested). My guide said they could only offer whole sale prices, it almost seems as though many features were not accounted for as the EV6 is still fairly new.

Do the guides have any control over the trade in #, has anyone had success getting the price bumped closer to what "fair market" value currently is? I would love to trade it in via Rivian to save on taxes but as it stands that will be about $2500....a big difference in what market value suggests.
Sponsored

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Rivian is not in the car buying business so they are not very good at it. They will take it off your hands, but the offer will way under. There are plenty of other places to get instant purchase. On the trade in step, just decline with 'No trade'. One of 8 steps down! Same for insurance, same for financing. In reality, there are only 5 steps ;)

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Bummer. My guess is even KBB is low for expected resale on an EV6, they are hot sellers still.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

just got done selling our explorer for our R1S delivery last week. I looked at the Rivian trade in and it wasn't the lowest I got, but was 20% lower than many others.

I put our VIN in for an estimate on KBB, Edmunds, local ford dealers, Algo, Carmax, Carvana, and Vroom. Carvana and Vroom were the highest. I put it for sale on private book value on Facebook marketplace with great photos and more dealers messaged me. I didn't want to bring it anywhere so was looking for someone to come and buy at my house with a cashier's check. I replied/answered to everyone that called (they get notified from KBB) and told them they would have to beat the Carmax price. None could without me driving somewhere or just said they couldn't do it. One dealer from the DC area messaged me through facebook said he could do $1k over carmax. Took it, he came with a company check and picked it up yesterday.

None of this has to do with what your car is worth. It has everything to do with what they can resell it for and what profit margin they are looking for. I have no hard feelings towards the Rivian trade in, but it sounds like they (cox automotive) have been low all along and generally there is no negotiating with trade ins anywhere

911.1 Guy

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Dam Many
Occupation
Finance
They don't seem to be in the car selling business either! Or the car making business. They aren't very good at either one this early on is the impression I'm getting.

The whole 'direct to customer' business model makes me appreciate the traditional role a car dealer plays. There is a point of accountability for the customer with the traditional dealer that the new model does not have.

The "guides" are largely clueless and there is other point of contact to get matters resolved.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
They don't seem to be in the car selling business either! Or the car making business. They aren't very good at either one this early on is the impression I'm getting.

The whole 'direct to customer' business model makes me appreciate the traditional role a car dealer plays. There is a point of accountability for the customer with the traditional dealer that the new model does not have.

The "guides" are largely clueless and there is other point of contact to get matters resolved.
If by “traditional” you mean a protection racket run by the local dealers association and corrupt politicians, then I guess you are right.

“Clueless” is a word that could equally be used to describe most dealership employees, unless knowledge of how to trick people into unnecessary add ons and dealer preferred financing counts….

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

What accountability is lacking here? The guides should sit there and negotiate the price of a trade in? I say it is nice they are offering a trade in at all. The accountability you get with a dealer buys you their stupid quad chart with "Great deal! written next to the F-you price on the trade in and new car price and then them trying to scam you out of your SS# so they can shop your credit and tack on some points to the rate. I love negotiating... some things, but I have grown weary of car dealers over the years, especially on the service side. Even with my last several cars being purchased by a "good" volume dealership, it sucks.

See, I think many (including myself) are willing to pay a premium for this model that is why Carmax and others have done well. Rivian has nothing to do with the trade it. It's an algorithm run by Cox automotive. The offer is the offer. There is no negotiation. It is simple, you just shop it to all the services. If you want more, well, get your marketing hat on and make an autotrader or Facebook ad and try to sell private.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I could not disagree more vehemently. Am on the waiting list for six different trucks (including the Rivian). I've got $thousands in deposits already laid out, and ultimately will probably wind up with whichever manufacturer can get me a truck (configured closest to my specifications) the soonest. That said, traditional dealerships have been *absolutely the worst* at communicating. Months of badgering to even get my order numbers, then radio silence. No updates. I've had better luck getting information from Reddit than from my dealer. 😡

It's getting a little frustrating to be sitting on a stack of cash and not able to get any trucks, LOL. But if I never have to step foot inside a stealership again, it would be too soon. Just let me configure what I want online and click "buy it now", and deliver it to my door when it's built. 😊

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager

Hmm... 2 messages and 0 threads. Come here often, sailor? lol

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX

In all seriousness, and without judgement, I think you should reconsider buying a Rivian if this is your current opinion of the company, it's progress, and their processes.

Sponsored

Deleted member 11292

The accountability you get with a dealer buys you their stupid quad chart with "Great deal! written next to the F-you price on the trade in and new car price and then them trying to scam you out of your SS# so they can shop your credit and tack on some points to the rate.
I couldn't even get somebody at the local Jag dealer to confirm they had a particular car on the lot without providing a phone number or email address. It's a simple question.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There is a point of accountability for the customer with the traditional dealer that the new model does not have.
I'm guessing you've dealt with dealership people that would consider you to be friends. They do have a lot of leeway but if you are a nobody, they aren't going to bend over backwards for you

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

R1Tmcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Just received the 8-steps WOO-HOOO!!!!

Then immediately deflated, Rivian trade in was 8-10k less than what I had anticipated (what KBB suggested). My guide said they could only offer whole sale prices, it almost seems as though many features were not accounted for as the EV6 is still fairly new.

Do the guides have any control over the trade in #, has anyone had success getting the price bumped closer to what "fair market" value currently is? I would love to trade it in via Rivian to save on taxes but as it stands that will be about $2500....a big difference in what market value suggests.
Congrats on your 8 steps!

In my experience Rivian trade in was the lowest out of Carvana, KBB, Carmax, and Driveway.

I ended up selling my car through Driveway and had a fantastic experience with them. Pretty much fully hands off and set everything up just by texting one of their reps, taking some photos with their webapp, and signing some overnighted paperwork.

I got the exact value from the initial quote with no questions asked, haggling, or nitpicking from them (Overall $3800 above the Rivian offer). Driveway even came to my house and drove the car away so I didn't need to take it anywhere. A few days later the money was deposited to my account and the deal was done.
Sponsored