Sponsored

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 šŸ¤ž
Lean Design... do you really need that front 12V outlet? Do you really need that flashlight in the door? You only really need one gear tunnel door right?, etc.....

Let's hope they don't start stripping away more and more over time.

FWIW.. I have a 12V powered hydraulic jack I use to rotate tires... I was intending to use that 12V frunk outlet to power the jack :mad:
Yes.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The wiring will be there until they update the harness, which is always the last piece of the puzzle as they make construction more efficient.
I wonder if theyā€™ll have to stock some of the original wire harnesses to provide parts to owners who have the outlet.

For example, Elon has something against ambient lighting. Every other manufacturer has it, Tesla barely does.
I donā€™t think of Elon as doing subtle so I could see why ambient lighting doesnā€™t interest him. Now, if an engineer developed ambient lighting which involved bouncing a laser beam around the cabin so it surrounded occupants like something out of Mission: Impossible then maybe heā€™d be on board. Like this, but in a carā€¦
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 1664828596342

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 šŸ¤ž
f...g Munro guy told them and they took his advice. While the old fart might not have a need for 12v in the front, i did plan on using the frunk on my inflatable standup paddle board (SUP) and an electric pump. their air hose plugs are not meant for SUP design--i asked.
It will be available as an upgrade option. Watch it! šŸ˜

norivian

First Name
norivianyet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T in 2023 šŸ¤ž
My guess is there was a practical reason they removed this beyond saving $2 of wiring and parts. I don't know if we'll ever know what that was.
Yes. Have you seen the Rivian branded extension cord and power strip Rivian is selling? $19.99 šŸ˜‚

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I had ordered my fridge long before I had my truck if mine didn't have the 12v up front I would have been furious. I already cant stand Munroe and his cheapification videos. I mean what really is the difference between the $40k trucks and the $100k its the build quality and yes some times it costs more to build something higher quality.

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I had ordered my fridge long before I had my truck if mine didn't have the 12v up front I would have been furious. I already cant stand Munroe and his cheapification videos. I mean what really is the difference between the $40k trucks and the $100k its the build quality and yes some times it costs more to build something higher quality.
Yea... theres a reason a Benz GLS/BMW X7 is more expensive than a Toyota Highlander/Ford Expedition.

Not just exterior and interior design, but build materials. I do think Munro is a bit 1 dimensional in that sense.

Though, I think maybe his thought process is that with new companies that need to ramp, he wants the initial costs to be as low as possible, since BMW and MB are well established, they do not need to make those same cuts that new auto makers (Rivian) would.

That of course doesn't benefit us as consumers unless we are also shareholders.

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Honestly, my fear with Sandy's involvement is that he's going to turn Rivian into Tesla in terms of quality. Sandy is driven to do exactly two things: reduce cost and complexity. That's it. That is what people hire them for.

He raves about Tesla all the time. I am all in on Rivian exactly because I think they are the anti-Tesla. If they start behaving like Tesla in terms of quality and service, I'm out.
Let's hope he doesn't. Not everyone that is buying into Rivian is coming from Tesla or EV's in general and my R1 is every bit as good as my Audi, if that wasn't the case I'd be going back to them.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Let's hope he doesn't. Not everyone that is buying into Rivian is coming from Tesla or EV's in general and my R1 is every bit as good as my Audi, if that wasn't the case I'd be going back to them.
Coming from a Tesla is exactly why I like Rivian, its nothing like a Tesla. My Model Y was OBVIOUSLY built to scale, materials are cheap and the interior is very basic. Everything clips in like legos. That has no bearing on the great drive and excellent software, but at their current prices, lets just say theres a reason the stock has done so well over the past few years - the margins are great.

If the Rivian looked like a Tesla on the inside and/or lacked all of the awesome quirky features, I wouldn't have really given the company much thought. What sets them apart is they are going for the luxury market with build, materials, and features. I hope they continue with that, otherwise if they try to compete with Tesla at their own game (being another very simple basic designed vehicle and limiting features with recommendations from the "Munros" of the world), I dont think they will do that well.

Sponsored

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

I took delivery of my R1S #750 today and do not have the frunk outlet.
Thanks for sharing.
I really hoped this applies to R1T only. :)

Congratulations on your R1S!

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Just checked mine (R1T VIN 99xx) and it still has the 12V outlet. (I saw the cap before, but had never bothered to open it.)

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
A couple positive changes:

I seem to recall that when I placed my reservation Rivian was charging for the inflator hose & accessory kit, now included.

I also recall a lot of people being put off by having to pay $2,000 for the off-road package when all they wanted were the front tow hooksā€¦ which are now $300 or free? Iā€™m getting the underbody shield so not 100% sure.
I placed my reservation Nov/18 and didnā€™t pay extra for those things. Free tow hooks and hoses & stuff.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I placed my reservation Nov/18 and didnā€™t pay extra for those things. Free tow hooks and hoses & stuff.
Nobody actually paid for them as far as I know. They may have been included all along for LEs but I donā€™t know because thatā€™s not me.

But they were things which Rivian was planning to charge for in the Adventure package. I know the hose and accessory kit was an extra cost (around $60 to $75) item and then became included.

I donā€™t recall if the off-road package (tow hooks + underbody protection) was always stand-alone and extra cost with Adventure or included with Adventure, then made a $2K option with a $2K price reduction to Adventure. But either way I remember more than a few people griping about having to spend $2K when they only wanted the tow hooks.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

From the looks of that snip & tape job, it looks like ā€œthat single employee ā€œ from the Ball Joint & Control Arm Cell has a new home on the Body Electronics Cell.
I kid you not... the 12V+ wire was about 3/4" bare copper exposed, and negative was about 3/8" bare copper exposed - both taped; and it really looked like the connector was simply yanked off. No clean cut anywhere.
Sponsored