First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah but finding a bunch of different $1 savings adds up once you are making 100k vehicles. One less outlet here, a magnet there, single molded part instead of needing 10 screws and bolts, etc etc. knock $100 off the total cost and over 100k vehicles you just saved $10m dollars.
I would obviously prefer they start with efficiencies that don’t impact the user, but I understand and respect the intent.
But why now? Why wasn't this done before deliveries began? Or it could wait for the next model year, for example... But why now? Seems weird.
My guess is part availability of some kind. I can't imagine they make this random change this early on unless it was a part problem. Could be completely wrong.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Lean Design... do you really need that front 12V outlet? Do you really need that flashlight in the door? You only really need one gear tunnel door right?, etc.....

Let's hope they don't start stripping away more and more over time.

FWIW.. I have a 12V powered hydraulic jack I use to rotate tires... I was intending to use that 12V frunk outlet to power the jack :mad:
It’s probably more like “we can’t get the extra bit of harness/enough 12v sockets”

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Regarding communication: I don't think it's fair to expect Rivian to send out an email to it's customers everytime a minor detail is changed.
Who gets to decide what’s “minor”? For you and me this may be minor, but others might have already bought a 12v fridge to fit in the frunk.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Who gets to decide what’s “minor”? For you and me this may be minor, but others might have already bought a 12v fridge to fit in the frunk.
This is on the very first page of the manual….

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T DBE38742-BD09-42F2-8158-C6CE9410371D

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
This is on the very first page of the manual….

DBE38742-BD09-42F2-8158-C6CE9410371D.jpeg
No one is arguing this point. The issue we’re debating is the lack of communication on the removal, not the removal itself.

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue R1T Adventure+22" ; 14 Durango
Occupation
Engineer
Refrigerated tub in the front seems like the best feature ever. That's not one to avoid; it's marketing heaven.

If it's a matter of trying to avoid condensation or drippage on what's below, I would think that a waterproof bottom and a properly routed drain hose would be a better answer.

I say this without having looked at it; just spitballing here.
I’m not sure if this is actually a good idea to have a 12V refrigerator in the frunk. The frunk is quite air tight so any heat generated by the fridge will not be dissipated soon enough so the fridge will just keeps on running nonstop. Has anyone actually try and use a fridge in the frunk?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
My guess is there was a practical reason they removed this beyond saving $2 of wiring and parts. I don't know if we'll ever know what that was.

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
In case there was any doubt. My 119xx VIN did not have the frunk 12v outlet and it looks like they won't moving forward. No big deal for me personally I would have never used it but hopefully not too disappointing for others.

I did not spot any additional changes to the text on the R1T landing page.

Rivian Website.png
I have 10414 and my 12v outlet is present in frunk.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T image

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

VIN 11919 and no 12V outlet. But I do have some good news... the wiring is there. It's bundled with the right LED frunk light. Looks like whatever connector they used was cut off (or yanked off, as bare copper strands were exposed) and "protected" with electrical tape. Probably the most shotty work I've seen in a brand new (modern) car :D

Anyway, here are some photos showing available wiring. This is good for us without the 12V outlet, as we can now use something like this or this, and mount as it was from the factory, or mount it on the frunk tub vertically.

PHOTOS

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 5FC2C66F-D5AD-40CD-A3F1-F29C4107A2FF
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 1D6E0098-4334-4BC3-B6AC-2D78A5D0B768

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 039A1964-5CC0-4B1C-88F6-2B9938009DC7

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 69035E30-68E8-40B2-88C6-5B7FAE88C0E5

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T FDBC2D55-A141-4985-BA9B-2F3CB71D493B

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian updates website: Two 12v outlets now (none in frunk) for R1T 6E5B4235-8861-4ADD-9BAB-08DE41FA8301

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
My guess is there was a practical reason they removed this beyond saving $2 of wiring and parts. I don't know if we'll ever know what that was.
Running a fridge in the trunk is a fire hazard. Refrigerators are heat exchangers and not designed for enclosed spaces.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
f...g Munro guy told them and they took his advice. While the old fart might not have a need for 12v in the front, i did plan on using the frunk on my inflatable standup paddle board (SUP) and an electric pump. their air hose plugs are not meant for SUP design--i asked.
Don't forget there is one in the gear tunnel as well (at least for now). I use the 12V for the same reason.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
VIN 11919 and no 12V outlet. But I do have some good news... the wiring is there. It's bundled with the right LED frunk light. Looks like whatever connector they used was cut off (or yanked off, as bare copper strands were exposed) and "protected" with electrical tape. Probably the most shotty work I've seen in a brand new (modern) car :D

Anyway, here are some photos showing available wiring. This is good for us without the 12V outlet, as we can now use something like this or this, and mount as it was from the factory, or mount it on the frunk tub vertically.
By how hastily this was done I'd hope there was some reason beyond cost savings, if the wiring is still there and someone had to cut or adjust it after is there really a major savings in the plastic molding and bits of metal? Wouldn't the extra handling and electrical tape offset any savings?

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
The wiring will be there until they update the harness, which is always the last piece of the puzzle as they make construction more efficient. Tesla has done as well, many times, it starts with the wires basically being cut, as here, then they'll be correctly terminated, then they'll eventually vanish from the harness at the next revision.

I respect what Sandy does, I would not attribute a lot of the feature cutbacks in Tesla to him. For example, Elon has something against ambient lighting. Every other manufacturer has it, Tesla barely does. Munro is all about finding efficiencies without cheapening the product, he is an owner like us, after all. The single magnet makes sense. Switching out the trim magnets for clips makes sense. Removing the 12V socket really doesn't (to me), there's obvious utility in having in there, and the parts are dirt cheap and seems very unlikely a commodity product like that would be supply-constrained.

I agree that decent comms would help a lot in this - Tesla doesn't do it, and customers don't like it. If RJ or someone just came out with something explaining the rationale the changes, then it would make the world of difference. There will be good reasons for all of it, it's just not always obvious to us. For all we know, that 12V socket took 30 mins in assembly and was plugged in backwards 30% of the time (Munro is a bit proponent of poka yoke).

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I took delivery of my R1S #750 today and do not have the frunk outlet.
Sponsored