Sponsored

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
Sorry but by definition, insiders who are now outsiders/whistleblowers have an axe to grind.
Clearly, someone, RJ ?? pissed you off…
And the R1T is STILL, even if you no longer work for the company!
Sponsored

BlueMars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Source: Detroit Free Press

This is what Ford CEO Jim Farley recently had to say about Rivian's van strategy:

“Rivian has one customer. Amazon.”​
“Rivian only has a van for delivery. 95 percent of the commercial industry is small-medium sized business with like 1,000 different locations. Last-product-delivery is like tiny, tiny. … I mean, FedEx, UPS, they’re great. But I want the plumber who’s got five vans. They don’t have a fleet manager. Everything is super confusing to them. They don’t even have time for the vehicles to go to a dealer and schedule it. They’re really underserved. The big fleets are overserved. They can do it all themselves. They’re huge.”​
“I always told (Rivian CEO) RJ (Scaringe), ‘Are you sure you want to bet on Amazon? Don’t you want to go after all the real customers?’ But, that’s what he decided to do,” Farley added. “Rivian and the reality of the commercial business couldn’t be more different. Also, most commercial customers aren’t going electric.”​

You guys agree or disagree with Farley?
basically he is calling RJ stupid... Now RIVIAN is out of exclusivity with Amazon, Jim may not see that coming. EV Van is a good market, not much competition yet. Let's see if Rivian can sell 40k of them every year.

solaskaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X,3, R1T Duo Max

This is what Ford CEO Jim Farley recently had to say about Rivian's van strategy:

Just as a baseline, here's a 2016 quote from the CEO of Fiat concerning the Model 3: "If Elon Musk "can show me that the car will be profitable at that price, I will copy the formula, add the Italian design flair and get it to the market within 12 months," - Sergio Marchionne

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird

“Rivian only has a van for delivery. 95 percent of the commercial industry is small-medium sized business with like 1,000 different locations. Last-product-delivery is like tiny, tiny. … I mean, FedEx, UPS, they’re great. But I want the plumber who’s got five vans. They don’t have a fleet manager. Everything is super confusing to them. They don’t even have time for the vehicles to go to a dealer and schedule it. They’re really underserved. The big fleets are overserved. They can do it all themselves. They’re huge.”​
“I always told (Rivian CEO) RJ (Scaringe), ‘Are you sure you want to bet on Amazon? Don’t you want to go after all the real customers?’ But, that’s what he decided to do,” Farley added. “Rivian and the reality of the commercial business couldn’t be more different. Also, most commercial customers aren’t going electric.”​

Aged like milk?

Sponsored

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum

With all do respect to Jim, little old RIVN is selling way more Ts than F150e....Why is that? Because Jimmy thought all his plumbers wanted EV trucks..Guess what...he was wrong and most people who want to spend on a premium EV Truck don't want a Ford...That's the reality and the same thing will happen to GM..Sorry Jim but you're just whinning as you re-tool for hybrids. And if you control the last mile delivery market, which by the way gets bigger every day, the numbers will add up. RIVN has capacity in Normal for 65k EDVs...and they are already profitable without using all that capacity...Normal is sized for 150k units, the balance for the R1 line...They're not betting the farm on EDVs and sizing is starting to feel pretty good..Not to mention all that great positive publicity when you see an Amazon van. powered by RIVN going down your street. I think every American wants F and GM to be successful but as of today, RIVN is kicking their asses (based on numbers and facts) so it hard to be lectured by Jim. And do you want to bet on Amazon? they are way more than just a buyer of Vans..They have a pocketbook that can be sued for all sorts of things....Not a bad sugar daddy !!

DRJ564

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
While I realize “most" issues in cold weather related to EV’s is user ignorance, I do wonder how the Amazon vans are doing in the latest cold snaps. Does anyone know if Amazon is having issues with deliveries with the Rivian vans in the cold? I would ASSume they(Amazon) are educated on this and have planned ahead. Being down/short a partial fleet of delivery vans for Amazon would be major.

superfly_snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Glacier White
Tesla has taken the exact approach immortalized in business schools across the globe by Peter Drucker and others in that they have built a cost advantage and can drive down price - while maintaining a share and profitability advantage - to erect a market barrier to later entrants in two of the biggest passenger car segments. Stellantis is the latest to whine about this (in today’s business news) regarding passenger cars and I see Farley’s comments as analogous in the commercial segment. Rivian has an opportunity here to do to the industry what Tesla has already done with the model 3/Y cars and basically drive scale and cost to a point that they can ensure anyone coming in after them will incur massive losses to catch up. All of these CEOs complaining about Tesla’s price cuts, Rivian going for fleet business in EDVs, should lose their jobs if they truly believe what they are saying and have forgotten their basic first year business school lessons.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
While I realize “most" issues in cold weather related to EV’s is user ignorance, I do wonder how the Amazon vans are doing in the latest cold snaps. Does anyone know if Amazon is having issues with deliveries with the Rivian vans in the cold? I would ASSume they(Amazon) are educated on this and have planned ahead. Being down/short a partial fleet of delivery vans for Amazon would be major.
It's been sub-freezing for five or six days straight here in NJ. Still see plenty of Rivian Amazon EDV's tooling around, have never seen one stuck or having issues.

Some of the gas-powered Amazon delivery vans, on the other hand, sound like they are dying though. One was making a racket, maybe a misfire? Who knows, maybe something else in the intake system is messed up. Or maybe it's the fuel injectors. Or bad gas.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Had one blocking my driveway in sub zero weather because he was actively delivering to my house at the time.

There is a towing company on the other side of the state that likes posting photos of them recovering the vans. Every one of the photos is a situation where the driver was a complete moron and got the van stuck. My R1T would likely have gotten out of those situations, but it's got much more ground clearance and 4WD.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...You guys agree or disagree with Farley?
Farley's been smelling his own kool-aid. As a startup Rivian is far better able to care for a single customer (Amazon) who has consistent requirements across their fleet than the thousands of Peter Rooter Plumbing and Drain Service small shops. Sure there's more risk, but rolling the hard six is what startups do - or don't do, and become footnotes. Building from the top down because the small shops become interested in the "premier" EV utility van is the eventual winning strategy.

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
In hindsight, Farley was wrong and I'm not surprised.
-RIVN is outproducing and selling more EVS than big old Ford
-Amazon has loosened up their deal and now AT&T should be next
-F didnt understand that plumbers etc don't want EVs yet and those willing to spend $70+++ for an EV don't want to drive around in a F (or GM)...isn't this obvious.
-Seems to me that the egos of these auto makers just never get it right..RIVN will end up eating the lunch of both F & GM in this space..What's happening with the OEMs is perfect for RIVN given where they are right now..

I'm so happy that RIVN and F never connected....!!!
Sponsored