Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The Count keeps himself busy...

Rivian R1T R1S Rodent chewed through wire harness, causing $7K repair (and $1650 towing) bHowzVk
Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

After 23 years in the same house I finally had a rat attack my Ram 2500. What scares me now is that it is parked next to my R1T. I had falsely assumed the R1T's wires were more protected. I got the rat that attacked the Ram. I put a blink camera under the hood and one of those battery operated electrocution traps. The culprit was almost 6" long.
I put one of these in the hood of both ice vehicles we had, and they worked very well. Previously, both vehicles had rodent dropping and urine heavily in the engine compartment. They also chewed through the harness of my Tundra. All of this stopped after installing these. Now I have the base station version up against the garage door and one of the in-vehicle versions is sitting on the ground below the R1S, facing up. So I drive over that one when parking on the driveway. I have not wired one inside the R1S yet but so far this setup seems to be working. I have seen more than one rat in our yard over a few months, so I know at least they are present, but have not tried to get into the R1 yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCKBGY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CVDMCKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I put one of these in the hood of both ice vehicles we had, and they worked very well. Previously, both vehicles had rodent dropping and urine heavily in the engine compartment. They also chewed through the harness of my Tundra. All of this stopped after installing these. Now I have the base station version up against the garage door and one of the in-vehicle versions is sitting on the ground below the R1S, facing up. So I drive over that one when parking on the driveway. I have not wired one inside the R1S yet but so far this setup seems to be working. I have seen more than one rat in our yard over a few months, so I know at least they are present, but have not tried to get into the R1 yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCKBGY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CVDMCKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I tried a version of those in my outside bar but it didn't work. That was a number of years ago. Maybe they have gotten better.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Just need to install the pretty trim pieces...

Rivian R1T R1S Rodent chewed through wire harness, causing $7K repair (and $1650 towing) 0c0jsLQ

Rivian R1T R1S Rodent chewed through wire harness, causing $7K repair (and $1650 towing) 3OmfoR

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Rodents will chew on any type of wiring (and no, I don't know why). I had a 1985 Honda Civic (no soy-based wiring) in which mice ate through wiring as well as heater ductwork, etc. My neighbor in the 1990's had a brand new GMC SUV daily driver that required a new wiring harness due to mice damage and that was thousands of dollars back then.
Yes, the whole "soy-based" myth is just another example of casting shade on everything and anything that appears green/environmental. Rats/mice like to chew on things, plain and simple.

Manu

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

For those who have installed the Loraffe repellent, could they share pictures of where they installed it exactly and how they did their setup? Thanks for your guidance!

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

For those who have installed the Loraffe repellent, could they share pictures of where they installed it exactly and how they did their setup? Thanks for your guidance!
I have two just to be safe. One home version up against the garage in front of the R1. The second is the 12 volt engine mount, but I mounted it on the ground facing up. If you install it in the vehicle I would think you would need at least two. Both mounted around the motors. I guessing that's how they would enter the vehicle since generally it's covered underneath.

The Ford Edge also has one in the engine compartment and it has worked well for 3 years.

So far so good. We always have rodents around. I saw one last night running on the fence adjacent to the driveway.

Rivian R1T R1S Rodent chewed through wire harness, causing $7K repair (and $1650 towing) IMG_20240313_072455
Rivian R1T R1S Rodent chewed through wire harness, causing $7K repair (and $1650 towing) IMG_20240313_072543
Sponsored