Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Sorry to hear this. Have had rigs ruined permanently by rodents, worst was the odor even if fully eradicated and repaired.

Unfortunately it is a war. You need to wipe them out one way or another. Don’t fool around with training wheel gizmos bring the artillery.

Sponsored

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

this is the plus of having some outdoor neighborhood cats

cashen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Giulia '15 4Runner '13 Acura MDX '72 Chevy K20
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Had this happen to our 4Runner last winter - full engine bay wiring harness needed to be replaced, was about $6500 to repair, $3500 for the harness and about 2 days labor. Comprehensive insurance covered it but it was still a total PITA. Now I’m checking the cars all the time
Rivian R1T R1S Rodent chewed through wire harness, causing $7K repair (and $1650 towing) 37149D6A-4176-4DEE-B2F3-A0B50B1FDAF3

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

I use these in my cars and will add one to the Riv when it arrives.

Loraffe 2 Pack Under Hood Animal Repeller Car Rat Repeller Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrent for 12V 24V Vehicle Automobile Get Rid of Mice in Car Engine with Ultrasound and LED Flashlights https://a.co/d/03GyBJJ
Another vote for the Loraffe deterrent mentioned above. We have lots of mice and packrats where we live, multiple neighbors have had their wires chewed. We installed these in our vehicles that get parked outside and have had no issues at all. They use Ultrasound, flashing lights, and sound on a rotating basis. I think the combination of all 3 may be what does it.

Sponsored

JeffADK

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Convertible, Tractor, UTV
Occupation
All the time
Clubs

Pretty much all cars have moved to soy based wires since early 2000s as it is cheaper and better for the environment than petroleum based.
Rodents will chew on any type of wiring (and no, I don't know why). I had a 1985 Honda Civic (no soy-based wiring) in which mice ate through wiring as well as heater ductwork, etc. My neighbor in the 1990's had a brand new GMC SUV daily driver that required a new wiring harness due to mice damage and that was thousands of dollars back then.

fergie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 4Runner, 22 Kia EV6
Ugh, that scares me. I've had the issues with wiring on my vehicles that are outside from squirrels and I don't have room in the garage for my Rivian when it comes.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Rodenticide in a detached garage is close to 100% effective. Soy wiring is an urban myth. Rodents evolved to constantly chew.

Keeping rodent populations down, especially from late summer onward, is key. There no need for a big kill off potentially harming preditors if control is consistent.

I have many squirrels but no problem from them, so I carefully bait in ways that they cam't access. But any rodent entering the garage has got to die.
I also have owls and hawks I don't want to harm.

Squirrel will try to chew through a plastic bate box designed for only mice.

All vehicle storage businesses use rodenticide. They wouldn't have returning customers if they didn't. They hide the bait stations to avoid lectures from customers.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I had one of those sonic deterrents literally sitting inside the rear storage compartment of my Ninja 500 quite a few years back. It made no difference, the little buggers chewed the tail light wiring which rah through that compartment and they ate the tool bag vinyl even with the device sitting right on top of the tool bag!

If you have rodents and you have room in your house (and heart) for a cat... they are hands down the best rodent deterrent known to man. Our guy even clears out our neighbors sheds at his point since mice now steer clear of our yard. last month he brought us two mice... so, someone in his patrol area has mice, but not for long!

Feetdry

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ridgeline, Hydro 84
Occupation
medical sales
About 2 years ago my Honda Ridgeline threw a check engine light but it kept running fine. Since I was about 800 miles from home I kept on driving. When I got it to Honda a few days later we find that (probably) rats had attacked it at one of the motels where I stayed in MT. They chewed through the harness in the v of the V-6 and because I keep on driving, it took out one of the cats. The Honda dealer said that they see this many times in the fall and winter. The harness has soy in the wiring and that attracted them. They wrapped the new wiring in a steel mesh and said the best thing to use when I am out traveling is cayenne pepper. When I am out on the road overnight I make sure my engine is dusted . Rodents haven't been a problem since.

Oh, my insurance paid for the whole thing less my deductible.

Sponsored

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
About 2 years ago my Honda Ridgeline threw a check engine light but it kept running fine. Since I was about 800 miles from home I kept on driving. When I got it to Honda a few days later we find that (probably) rats had attacked it at one of the motels where I stayed in MT. They chewed through the harness in the v of the V-6 and because I keep on driving, it took out one of the cats. The Honda dealer said that they see this many times in the fall and winter. The harness has soy in the wiring and that attracted them. They wrapped the new wiring in a steel mesh and said the best thing to use when I am out traveling is cayenne pepper. When I am out on the road overnight I make sure my engine is dusted . Rodents haven't been a problem since.

Oh, my insurance paid for the whole thing less my deductible.
I just recently discovered that there is a Honda OEM part number for rodent deterrent tape. I’ve had no luck with the ultrasonic deterrents, some luck in an airplane hangar with “predator urine” soaked kitty litter (which you can buy at hardware stores).
Cats, traps, and diligently sealing access seems the most effective.
The tape can be found
here

Feetdry

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ridgeline, Hydro 84
Occupation
medical sales
I just recently discovered that there is a Honda OEM part number for rodent deterrent tape. I’ve had no luck with the ultrasonic deterrents, some luck in an airplane hangar with “predator urine” soaked kitty litter (which you can buy at hardware stores).
Cats, traps, and diligently sealing access seems the most effective.
The tape can be found
here
Unless the tape has changed recently, the Honda dealer said that it is worthless. Hence, they say cayenne pepper. I've used it many times while traveling 4 states year-round and it seems to keep them away now.

Feetdry

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ridgeline, Hydro 84
Occupation
medical sales
Yes, (feline) cats work great but they don't stand outside and protect your vehicle parked overnight.

SantaFeSpence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3LR
Occupation
Fun & Games
Out here many folks who park their cars outdoors have issues with mice and pack rats chewing on wiring. I did on my old Ford Pickup. I just left the hood open overnight and that seemed to discourage rodents looking for a warm retreat. Also, some folks use metal mesh sheeting as parking pads, and I’ve heard that that works as well.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Yes, (feline) cats work great but they don't stand outside and protect your vehicle parked overnight.
My guy does his best hunting at night... and once he clears out an area the mice "know" there's an active predator in the area and they stay away.
Sponsored