Sponsored

Service Experience 7th (?) edition - Broken Subframe!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have my truck in Tualatin service center (Portland) for what I thought was routine issues, I had been putting a lot of these issues off because long wait times at Bellevue and convenience of taking my truck 3 hours to service.

List of issues:
- Recall
- Driver Seat Calibration
- Wheel vibration at 70mph
- The usual low speed tick/tock
- Occasional non-functioning exterior buttons
and a handful of other checks and issues that Rivian added on.

The first surprise came when they claimed that the wheel vibration was due to my tires being bad. I talked to the service manager (John) and explained to him they it has been doing this since my Alignment by the Bellevue Service center last summer (~13k miles ago) and that I had replaced the two front tires shortly after (~12k miles ago) and it has been doing it all the while. So we'll see. Told them no way I was buying another set of the Pirelli's especially if they are telling me I wore through 7 of them in 28k miles. I asked them if I brought in my extra set of 21's if they would calibrate my truck to the those tires, so tbd on that.

Regarding the tick/tock it sounds like they are replacing the rear drive shafts and the wheel bearings, so glad they are doing something there.

The biggest surprise is that apparently my rear sub-frame is cracked so they have to replace that too šŸ˜² so curious has anyone else had this, is it common??

Final thoughts as usual the communication hasn't been great, the loaner (Enterprise rental Ford Ecosport) sucks and looks like I won't have my truck back until mid-next week at the earliest. Hopefully they at least solve most of these issues šŸ¤ž

Edit: I talked to the service manager again about the crack and he said mine was the second he had seen, I asked him if he thought it was something specific I had done (ie hard offroad driving) and he said no.

3/24 Update:
Update today from the service center. Going on 2 weeks without my truck. They are working on the rear subframe and the rear drive shaft replacements. Apparently they found some corroded parts when taking everything apart also mentioned the tech put replacing the rear dampers on the work order but wasn't sure of the details when I talked to him. I was briefly seeing a $3600 charge on my work order but was assured that work would be done under warranty.

Sounds like the further they dig the more issues they are finding on my truck and looks like the 1 year anniversary of my truck's delivery will be spent on a hoist in the shop. Looks like I'll be driving the Ecosport at least until the middle of next week... we'll see.

3/30 Update:
Got the truck back today. All is repaired. SC did install my 21s for me and the truck says it has them but appears my range and speedo are still based on the 20s :(
Sponsored

Last edited:

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Cracked subframe? What an adventure.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Any pictures of the crack? Curious how severe. Hope you get your truck back soon!

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Any pictures of the crack? Curious how severe. Hope you get your truck back soon!
Unfortunately no, would be interesting to see. Kinda wonder how I made that happen.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
7 tires in 28k miles is not good :confused:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

7 tires in 28k miles is not good :confused:
To be fair I think 2 of them are still in decent shape and have life left but yeah not good. I'll be getting some more aggressive proper AT tires when I replace them, hopefully those fair better.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
To be fair I think 2 of them are still in decent shape and have life left but yeah not good. I'll be getting some more aggressive proper AT tires when I replace them, hopefully those fair better.
Iā€™m not running them under an 8000 lb truck, but Iā€™ve been very happy with the Toyo Open Country AT3s I put on my Tacoma a few years ago.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Oh boy

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Update today from the service center. Going on 2 weeks without my truck. They are working on the rear subframe and the rear drive shaft replacements. Apparently they found some corroded parts when taking everything apart also mentioned the tech put replacing the rear dampers on the work order but wasn't sure of the details when I talked to him. I was briefly seeing a $3600 charge on my work order but was assured that work would be done under warranty.

Sounds like the further they dig the more issues they are finding on my truck and looks like the 1 year anniversary of my truck's delivery will be spent on a hoist in the shop. So I'll be driving the Ecosport at least until the middle of next week... we'll see.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
ā€œCorrosionā€ is a bad word at only 1 yearšŸ˜¬

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've pulled the underbody panels off from the rear of the truck and didn't see anything I thought was concerning, but I also wasn't specifically looking for that stuff.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
On the plus side, you should have a like new truck mechanically soon.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

On the plus side, you should have a like new truck mechanically soon.
Yeah. I'm not overly negative at the moment hope my thread doesn't come off that way. Glad they are being thorough and making my truck right but I'm going to have to hitch hike up the mountain this weekend, with 14" already and up to 20" more on the way I am not driving the rental up there.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Nope, not overly negative.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

For reference. Some of the work items. Skipping a bunch of inspection and calibration items.

Rivian R1T R1S Service Experience 7th (?) edition - Broken Subframe! 1679682274348

Rivian R1T R1S Service Experience 7th (?) edition - Broken Subframe! 1679682376452

Rivian R1T R1S Service Experience 7th (?) edition - Broken Subframe! 1679682429600

Rivian R1T R1S Service Experience 7th (?) edition - Broken Subframe! 1679682456796

Rivian R1T R1S Service Experience 7th (?) edition - Broken Subframe! 1679682476288
Sponsored