Sponsored

Service offering to give me free spare tire or should I request something else??

TexasCrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Subaru, R1T
I just spent $1650 on a spare tire and kit at the service center yesterday, so yes, I’d be very happy to get one for free. If you don’t want it, you’ll find plenty of people who’ll buy it from you.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Take the spare and the kit. If you don't want it, you can sell it to any number of people who want one and couldn't get one at delivery.

But I'd highly suggest you keep the spare.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Huh. I had a pretty horrendous experience with my service center and was only offered a buyback. No concessions.

Echoing everyone else, take the spare. It won’t affect your range in any noticeable way, gives you peace of mind in a blowout, adds resale value, and you can add it to your rotation to extend your tire life by 25%

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
To help make up for some issues, service offered to give me a spare tire. They are open to something else but say they can not get just any item from the shop. So no wall charger that I'd actually use.

Any ideas?

It's nice to offer the tire but I’m not sure I could even lift it and then it’s always there eating a bit of your mileage.
No way I'd drive without a spare...roadside service could put it on if you can't...

Sponsored

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Take the spare…it’s not going to impact efficiency in any meaningful way. We’re talking about 50 lbs. on a 7k lb. vehicle

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
If it's the 20" AT, then take and then sell it to me!!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

It won’t affect range noticeably. I have one and am glad that it’s there if I need it. SC installed it for me. If you are really anti-spare, then ask for an extra set of crossbars.

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
They said they were open to other options but then basically said they're not allowed to order anything really, just spare parts.

I went ahead and had them add the spare tire and lift kit but they brought it today and some issues were fixed, others weren't fixed and new damage has been added. They've also began pushing back saying that they didn't think Rivian was going to okay further paint repairs.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

To help make up for some issues, service offered to give me a spare tire. They are open to something else but say they can not get just any item from the shop. So no wall charger that I'd actually use.

Any ideas?

It's nice to offer the tire but I’m not sure I could even lift it and then it’s always there eating a bit of your mileage.
They didn't have to do anything. Sorry you had the issues with your truck. Don't know what they were, but in any case, sounds like they tried to offer some consolation.

I sold my spare tire, no jack for $750. That's enough to cover the wall charger. So, would take what they're offering as the value is more than what you're asking for.

For me, I wanted to keep the jack and tools so I had them in the truck, just in case. I have a second set of wheels/tires, so for road trips to the middle of nowhere, where roadside assistance may not be available, I throw one in the bed. Had a flat in the middle of nowhere Arizona with my Tesla. Not a fun experience. some 26 hours later, I finally made it home. Never made that trip again without a spare.

Point being, it's not a bad thing to have available. Maybe you don't need to carry it around every day, but if you take a trip that's out there and miles away from civilization, a good option to have available. If you never take such a trip, then sell the wheel / tire and you'll have cash to purchase whatever your heart desires. If not for my second set of wheels / tires, I would have kept my spare.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I went ahead and had them add the spare tire and lift kit but they brought it today and some issues were fixed, others weren't fixed and new damage has been added. They've also began pushing back saying that they didn't think Rivian was going to okay further paint repairs.
This sounds just like my experience. Half of the issues I reported were addressed, half were untouched, and a bunch of new issues and damage was found on return. Next step was the repurchase offer.

I’m sorry, OP. This is inexcusable.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Any ideas?

Take it (especially since it's more expensive than a wall charger). What would you do (and how long would your truck be down) if you hit a road hazard that destroyed one of your tires. The nearest service station isn't going to have one. AAA won't have one. You'd have to have it towed somewhere, and then wait, while a replacement was ordered.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Up the ante- 2 spare tires!

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
This sounds just like my experience. Half of the issues I reported were addressed, half were untouched, and a bunch of new issues and damage was found on return. Next step was the repurchase offer.

I’m sorry, OP. This is inexcusable.
It's pretty disheartening and I've been stressing about it all weekend. Wondering what they're really going to end up doing now that they've added more damage. For whatever reason I keep having bad luck. Just like when they forced me to pick up the truck in San Francisco which I wasn't planning to do and I didn't want to do, driving a brand new vehicle from a place I hate driving to and is confusing and dangerous and blah blah blah. Then I find out my sister's boss also ordered a truck after me and lives in the same town and they delivered his. And I'm guessing without all the stuff stuck all over it that was painted over etc etc. It's been 3 months and I just kind of want to be done.
Sponsored