Sponsored

Should the tie downs on the roof have the same rubber inserts as the truck bed?

Rivy

First Name
Rivy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LX570
Are you having some other issues looked at as well? An annoying thing to have to go back to Richmond for. Please do let me know how it turns out.
Verdict - The plastic insert was removed from all future builds. I checked a few trucks at the SC and all were the same as mine.

Glad I have my tire valve caps though....rumor has it they will be cut as well soon. :rock:
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Verdict - The plastic insert was removed from all future builds. I checked a few trucks at the SC and all were the same as mine.

Glad I have my tire valve caps though....rumor has it they will be cut as well soon. :rock:
Thanks, Sandy “Cheapened by” Munro!

Last edited:

Zool

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV

Thanks for the update, Rivy. I guess that's why no-one responded to my service inquiry...

booslim45

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I just submitted a service ticket for mine. Guess will cancel it. I will most likely end up sticking some 3m foam in there to prevent rusting.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Sponsored

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not trying to defend Rivian for doing this, but I can't imagine that skimping on a few tiny pieces of plastic is saving them any meaningful amount of money. Could it be another supply chain issue where they didn't want to stop production just because they ran out? Either way, saying nothing and hoping nobody notices is not the right way to handle it...

OP
OP

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
Not trying to defend Rivian for doing this, but I can't imagine that skimping on a few tiny pieces of plastic is saving them any meaningful amount of money. Could it be another supply chain issue where they didn't want to stop production just because they ran out? Either way, saying nothing and hoping nobody notices is not the right way to handle it...
We will probably never know for sure one way or the other but I'm guessing it's a little bit of both. They have trouble getting a part and or don't want to pay to expedite it's manufacturer and it won't be obviously missed. Just don't include. It, seems to be their mode of operation. Like when they stopped supplying the front truck power connection. Before anybody really even had the truck they were saying it was because nobody wanted it. Like no one wants Android, Auto or Apple CarPlay or the better stereo

Not having a little rubber insert is one thing, but now there's folks showing pictures with our the black plastic underlining so the metal of the truck is exposed. That seems like that could get scraped up and maybe get water and rust damage there possibly. Not sure but it just seems pretty cheesy not to include it.

Last edited:

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Maybe just shoot some Plasti-Dip in there.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I have a service ticket in to get these inlays (inserts? Whatever they're called) but obviously that's pretty low on everyone's priority list. In the meantime I had some credit on Amazon and picked up a roll of this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0995634L6

Before:

Rivian R1T R1S Should the tie downs on the roof have the same rubber inserts as the truck bed? 1683931600712

After:

Rivian R1T R1S Should the tie downs on the roof have the same rubber inserts as the truck bed? 1683931621471

Better than nothing, LOL. 🤷‍♂️😆

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
I have a service ticket in to get these inlays (inserts? Whatever they're called) but obviously that's pretty low on everyone's priority list. In the meantime I had some credit on Amazon and picked up a roll of this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0995634L6

Before:

1683931600712.png

After:

1683931621471.png

Better than nothing, LOL. 🤷‍♂️😆
Not so sure about that - it's now a place where water will be trapped between the rubber and the paint and potentially cause issues... I think I'd rather have it open to the air unless you can get the OEM piece that's sealed properly.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

This is an old thread, but just saw it come up while searching for something unrelated. My R1T came without the inserts in the roof rack clips. Just bare metal. Was concerned about water collecting and causing rust or corrosion, like the other person's picture showed. I did ask about the inserts during a recent appointment at the SC. At first they quoted me something in the neighborhood of $790 for replacing the entire roof bars assembly (sorry, don't have the correct name in front of me - the strips that run parallel to the glass roof). But this was not an option when I got there. They had nothing that would fit, mentioned they needed to be attached "from the bottom" (meaning the headliner would need to come out), and also mentioned that "Rivian had changed the design".

Ultimately I wound up sticking cut pieces of silicone rubber in the holes and using automotive gasket sealer & fine-tipped caulk to seal them into place. Annoying solution. Probably won't affect anyone. Just my "OCD", LOL. 😝
Sponsored