Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Hi, I'm Jeeden, you may remember me from other threads like "Show off your home charger install" and "How to: TIGHT parking for R1S in garage"

I thought it would be good with the incoming news of dashcam functionality in the next ota update if we had a one stop thread for all things dashcam memory cards.

In threads in this and on other forums I have seen thumb drives, adapter cords with thumb drives, adapter cords with SD cards, regular cards/drives, extreme use cards/drives, etc.

What are our ideas for best type and approach?

When researching Garmin mini 2 dash cams I know it was very well documented that everyone got SanDisk extreme SD cards to record to. Maybe that's the best way to go with an adapter cable here?

UPDATED POST WITH SUGGESTED SOLUTIONS

Making a quick list here of what is in the thread and seems to be most popular for folks who want a pretty quick answer. Note: I don't have time to keep this list updated from the thread so there may be more. This list was compiled from discussion through page 5 of the thread (hopefully we will get some installation photos soon when the software rolls out)

Make sure whatever solution you get can handle a hot vehicle in summer, cold in winter, and any shock from throwing things in the console, bumps, crashes, etc.

There appear to be three significant approaches here (links from some solutions in the thread):

1. Thumb drive

2. SD card and Adapter (Note! It is unconfirmed if SD cards will function or not in this capacity, some have had issues, but we won't know for sure until the update is rolled out and everyone can test)
3. External SSD drive
* Make sure to get at least 128gb as recommended by Rivian

For any of these solutions, a small cord is recommended to keep the drive from sticking out of the USB port in the console where it could be hit and damaged or damage the USB port. It also allows for velcro or other attachments to the inside wall of the console to protect it, keep it from getting snagged by items in/out of console, making noise.

Adapters
Cords
The Rivian will format the storage when first connected, but here is a how too Link
Sponsored

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Does the dashcam still record like regular gear guard videos and then you just need a drive to pull them off when you want?
Or do you need an always connected drive to capture dashcam footage?

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Does the dashcam still record like regular gear guard videos and then you just need a drive to pull them off when you want?
Or do you need an always connected drive to capture dashcam footage?
The software notes seem to indicate that you're going to need the drive to USE The dash cam feature. I would assume that would include recording. I'm not sure if they would want to put the wear and tear on the read right cycles on the drive in the vehicle that holds everything else. Plus it says the app can be used to view clips of drive and motion events but having it a removable drive allows you to see all full recordings like you had a GoPro stuck on the car somewhere.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

SilverII

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Did you leave it in the Rivian all the time? I think shock and heat and cold are going to come into play here based on what I've read from normal dash cams
No. It gets warm after plugged in for a while. I have to look for something heavier duty for constant use, but that is good enough for now until other try something else and share their findings

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

The software notes seem to indicate that you're going to need the drive to USE The dash cam feature. I would assume that would include recording. I'm not sure if they would want to put the wear and tear on the read right cycles on the drive in the vehicle that holds everything else. Plus it says the app can be used to view clips of drive and motion events but having it a removable drive allows you to see all full recordings like you had a GoPro stuck on the car somewhere.
That's what I figured.
Never had luck using USB stick as a constant source for read/write, they have all died within 6-12 months. Used on Switch, Wii U, security system, etc.

A good microSD like you linked has never failed me yet in my dashcams or networking systems where they are running an OS.

I may try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Keychain-Lei...&sprefix=micro+sd+to+us,electronics,96&sr=1-3

Or an actual external drive that is better rated for the usage.
They really just need a user replaceable m.2 slot solely for video storage.

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

I use this for my Tesla and will use for the RIvian as well. Couple it with a USB-C 90-degree adapter, you can affix it to the front side of the center glove box with some velcro tape.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GTYFC37?th=1

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
It’s seems like a USB C extension cable would work well to avoid taking up extra space in the center console. It would also allow you to easily disconnect the drive if you need to plug in your phone. Would that work?

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Based on my initial research microSDs and SSDs are probably our best options for the constant read/write generated from a dash cam...

Now I'm curious what the pros/cons are of each of these groups.

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager