Sponsored

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Objective was to test out the truck on a long weekend trip (~800mi rt) to see how it compares to my 2020 ZR2 Bison Diesel and if it can be a worthy replacement!

Santa Barbara - Alabama Hills - Bishop - White Mountain - Eureka Dunes - Home

TL;DR it would have been better if my onboard DC charging unit worked properly, but definitely higher quality of life vs the ZR2 when things were working

Rivian weaknesses:
- In deep snow (~24-36"), it performed roughly similar to the GX470 and Tacoma, mostly because of it's weight. Despite having higher ground clearance and 35"s, it got stuck in the same places as the lighter vehicles with slightly smaller footprints.
- The parasitic drains overnight are unsettling when you're far from a charger, really sucks to see 3-4% disappear overnight, that's like 10 miles!
- Having a broken DC charging unit meant I could not use any type of charger except EA 150kw chargers, not even the RAN station in Bishop.
- The chonky 35" tires aired down offroad left me with an effective range from 97% charge of only ~250 miles.

Strengths:
- Frunk and gear tunnel storage, I didn't think I'd use them nearly as much as I did, but they were amazing for keeping stuff clean and dry in the snow. Definitely a win over the ZR2
- Camp mode and leveling is amazing when you are sleeping on a mattress in the bed.
- The kinetic rope plus electric torque means pulling people out is BUTTER smooth!
- Onboard air with dial-a-pressure? *Chef's kiss*
- Washboard roads are no match for soft suspension setting and a 7200lb truck. I could have balanced a wine glass on the center console, but we only had whiskey.
- if you high center in deep snow, you can lazy self-rescue by dropping to a lower ride height, compressing the snow you're high centered on, then return to higher ride height and roll away. I'm coining the term RiRi Squat right here for this maneuver.

Lessons learned:
- Deep snow is best tackled in offroad all-terrain with reduced traction control. It lets you get some spin without just digging in. Snow mode was too intrusive.
- 18psi was the magic pressure on the K02 e-rated tires in the snow, 25 on dirt, 48 on pavement.
- The rear suspension needs rock guards or deflectors. On death valley washboard roads, the rear aluminum arms and shocks got absolutely blasted and damaged by the rocks kicked up.
- you get more articulation in offroad normal height than in high or highest ride height.

Car Camping/Glamping gear winners (25+years of camping experience):
- Exped MegaMat Duo 10 mattress fits in bed perfectly and is amazingly comfy. Pair it with their little electric widget pump and you're golden.
- Exped MegaSleep Duo 25/40 a warmer weather double bag, works great for my wife and I, I use a 2nd summer bag inside it if it's really cold (under 35F).
- Mr Heater brand Buddy heater. It will go through 2 Coleman bottles/night, but kept me and the dog toasty warm in the tent when it got down to 5F overnight.
- Gazelle T3/T4 tents, set up in 2min, robust hardware, huge footprints and don't collapse in the wind. Sturdy floor and zippers.
- Snow Peak Takibi large fire pit with floga walls. Hands down the best portable fire pit I've ever seen. Minimize your footprint in nature by not having to make rock rings, nearly zero smoke, radiates a ton of heat around, and packs down small.
- Snow Peak hexa evo pro canopy tarp. Clutch for desert camping, smaller than an ezup, handles wind better, and has an accessory that lets you have fire under it.

Pics

Rivian R1T R1S Snow & Desert shakedown bed camping trip in R1T @ Bishop, CA PXL_20230127_190457471

Rivian R1T R1S Snow & Desert shakedown bed camping trip in R1T @ Bishop, CA PXL_20230127_190430176

Rivian R1T R1S Snow & Desert shakedown bed camping trip in R1T @ Bishop, CA PXL_20230128_012533115.NIGHT

Rivian R1T R1S Snow & Desert shakedown bed camping trip in R1T @ Bishop, CA PXL_20230128_005514476

Rivian R1T R1S Snow & Desert shakedown bed camping trip in R1T @ Bishop, CA PXL_20230129_173203626

Rivian R1T R1S Snow & Desert shakedown bed camping trip in R1T @ Bishop, CA PXL_20230129_173306834

Rivian R1T R1S Snow & Desert shakedown bed camping trip in R1T @ Bishop, CA PXL_20230129_173447351

Rivian R1T R1S Snow & Desert shakedown bed camping trip in R1T @ Bishop, CA PXL_20230129_185644885.PORTRAIT

Rivian R1T R1S Snow & Desert shakedown bed camping trip in R1T @ Bishop, CA PXL_20230128_213818694

Rivian R1T R1S Snow & Desert shakedown bed camping trip in R1T @ Bishop, CA PXL_20230129_173528615.PORTRAIT
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bob76

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes ML350, Subaru Outback, R1S
Thanks for the interesting trip report, cool photos, too.

Love the RiRi Squat :D. Will definitely try that as we regularly get multiple feet of snow on our street before the plow shows up days later.

JeffADK

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Convertible, Tractor, UTV
Occupation
All the time
Clubs

RiRi Squat - great idea! (why didn't I think of that?)

mroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Love this. One of my favorite drives in the world is the Death Valley road through Teakettle Junction to the Racetrack up Lippincott through Eureka valley to the dunes. Have yet to make it out to DV in my new truck, but am also concerned that route isn't viable at all given the limited charging infrastructure. I may attempt later this year though!

mroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Which reminds me - I've done variations of that route multiple times over the past 15 years and once was camping around this time of year where it was -20 windchill out there. Would not want to be sleeping in the bed!

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

- you get more articulation in offroad normal height than in high or highest ride height.
On the RTI ramp in the snow, it measured about the same for me in normal vs highest. I didn't bother checking high. You might get more compression on normal but the wheels still on the ground don't have as much pressure to allow movement. Probably means it's going to be terrain dependent.

ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
Great report! Can I ask about the rims & tires you have equipped? Those look awesome.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Corgis are no help at all. Sleeping on the job!

OP
OP
Rexbo

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

@mroe Depending on the chargers in DV I think it's possible. I was getting pretty decent efficiency in conserve over the washboard, and the R1T would have absolutely no issue with lippincott or steele pass. It got down to 5F on the first night at White mountain road then 17F at Eureka Dunes the 2nd night. Heated blanket ftw

@ATX they are Raceline 950B 20x9 +18 offset wheels with 285/65R20 BFG K02 tires, pretty rough on efficiency but great tires and I like the stance they give, with not a terrible amount of rubbing in low.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
Objective was to test out the truck on a long weekend trip (~800mi rt) to see how it compares to my 2020 ZR2 Bison Diesel and if it can be a worthy replacement!

Santa Barbara - Alabama Hills - Bishop - White Mountain - Eureka Dunes - Home

TL;DR it would have been better if my onboard DC charging unit worked properly, but definitely higher quality of life vs the ZR2 when things were working

Rivian weaknesses:
- In deep snow (~24-36"), it performed roughly similar to the GX470 and Tacoma, mostly because of it's weight. Despite having higher ground clearance and 35"s, it got stuck in the same places as the lighter vehicles with slightly smaller footprints.
- The parasitic drains overnight are unsettling when you're far from a charger, really sucks to see 3-4% disappear overnight, that's like 10 miles!
- Having a broken DC charging unit meant I could not use any type of charger except EA 150kw chargers, not even the RAN station in Bishop.
- The chonky 35" tires aired down offroad left me with an effective range from 97% charge of only ~250 miles.

Strengths:
- Frunk and gear tunnel storage, I didn't think I'd use them nearly as much as I did, but they were amazing for keeping stuff clean and dry in the snow. Definitely a win over the ZR2
- Camp mode and leveling is amazing when you are sleeping on a mattress in the bed.
- The kinetic rope plus electric torque means pulling people out is BUTTER smooth!
- Onboard air with dial-a-pressure? *Chef's kiss*
- Washboard roads are no match for soft suspension setting and a 7200lb truck. I could have balanced a wine glass on the center console, but we only had whiskey.
- if you high center in deep snow, you can lazy self-rescue by dropping to a lower ride height, compressing the snow you're high centered on, then return to higher ride height and roll away. I'm coining the term RiRi Squat right here for this maneuver.

Lessons learned:
- Deep snow is best tackled in offroad all-terrain with reduced traction control. It lets you get some spin without just digging in. Snow mode was too intrusive.
- 18psi was the magic pressure on the K02 e-rated tires in the snow, 25 on dirt, 48 on pavement.
- The rear suspension needs rock guards or deflectors. On death valley washboard roads, the rear aluminum arms and shocks got absolutely blasted and damaged by the rocks kicked up.

Car Camping/Glamping gear winners (25+years of camping experience):
- Exped MegaMat Duo fits in bed perfectly and is amazingly comfy. Pair it with their little electric pump and you're golden.
- Exped MegaSleep Duo 25/40 a warmer weather double bag, works great for my wife and I, I use a 2nd summer bag inside it if it's really cold (under 35F).
- Mr Heater brand Buddy heater. It will go through 2 Coleman bottles/night, but kept me and the dog toasty warm in the tent when it got down to 5F overnight.
- Gazelle T3/T4 tents, set up in 2min, robust hardware, huge footprints and don't collapse in the wind. Sturdy floor and zippers.
- Snow Peak large fire pit with walls. Hands down the best portable fire pit I've ever seen. Minimize your footprint in nature by not having to make rock rings, nearly zero smoke, radiates a ton of heat around, and packs down small.
- Snow Peak hexa evo pro canopy tarp. Clutch for desert camping, smaller than an ezup, handles wind better, and has an accessory that lets you have fire under it.

Pics

PXL_20230127_190457471.jpg

PXL_20230127_190430176.jpg

PXL_20230128_012533115.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20230128_005514476.jpg

PXL_20230129_173203626.jpg

PXL_20230129_173306834.jpg

PXL_20230129_173447351.jpg

PXL_20230129_185644885.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230128_213818694.jpg

PXL_20230129_173528615.PORTRAIT.jpg
Was about to comment about how well written and thorough this post was but then got distracted by the CUTE DOG.

Sponsored

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
It's disgusting how much he gets away with because he's cute.

PXL_20230129_000847619.PORTRAIT.jpg
He could wreck my car and chew up all my credit cards and i'd still forgive him <3

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

One of my favorite drives in the world is the Death Valley road through Teakettle Junction to the Racetrack up Lippincott through Eureka valley to the dunes. Have yet to make it out to DV in my new truck, but am also concerned that route isn't viable at all given the limited charging infrastructure.
Good olā€˜ Lippincottā€¦one of the rougher roads I have been on (dont have a ton of offroad adventure experience) but was with a friend in a full size Chevy 4x4 about a decade ago and we ultimately had to turn around because the road got narrow and we had already used our spare tire earlier in the journey. Iā€™d be pretty nervous doing that in the Rivian due to charging like youā€¦

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
Good olā€˜ Lippincottā€¦one of the rougher roads I have been on (dont have a ton of offroad adventure experience) but was with a friend in a full size Chevy 4x4 about a decade ago and we ultimately had to turn around because the road got narrow and we had already used our spare tire earlier in the journey. Iā€™d be pretty nervous doing that in the Rivian due to charging like youā€¦
I took a subaru crosstrek down lippencott once. It was a horrible idea, but we managed to get two of them down without any real damage. I used the skidplates plenty though.
Sponsored