Sponsored

Skirotica

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah. I've gone up and down Big Cottonwood Canyon (SLC, UT) at least ten times since Nov 1. All in the 21". No problems yet. Parking lots are full of ice, and I've watched folks slip and fall walking. No traction issues so far. It's snowing right now at my house. I'll update if I experience any issues.
15" at solitude ski resort. I Rolled up at a quarter to nine yesterday morning to ski. Drive up was flawless with visible snow, ice on the road. Drive down was pretty dry so no new data.
Sponsored

meininga

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Owner
I agree. Snow mode would be helpful. I have the ā€˜22 R1T Adventure package with 21ā€ Pirelli road tires. I live in the mountains of Colorado and I have had over 5-feet of snow so far.

Winter performance is terrible. Despite using all-purpose 4WD the vehicle will slide in a slow motion right hand corner.The regenerative brakes are overly aggressive too and in an attempt to slow the vehicle by releasing the accelerator, I have nearly lost control of the vehicle.

I have used studless Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on my half-ton Toyota Tundra for the last 10-years. That vehicles weighs almost 6,000 lbs; maybe 20% less than the R1T and it handled remarkably with winter specific snow tires.

Has anyone installed winter snow tires?

I have had an extremely difficult time getting snow tires for the R1T.

21ā€ 275/55R21 snow tires do not exist.

I ordered Blizzak 275/65R20 studless snow tires and aftermarket wheels.

Aftermarket Fuel DM538-2009 20x9 rims do not fit the vehicle with the brake caliper.

The only solution I can surmise is to buy the R1T all-terrain wheels. Yet they only come in combination with tires at a cost of $4,100.

Now I wait for the wheels & tires to ship and mobile service to schedule an appointment; because they cannot shop to a tire shop, like TireRack.

Then I need another appointment with my tire shop to strip the brand new tires
and install the Blizzaks.

This is incredibly inconvenient. My normal winter routine is to install snow tires the first week of November. Hopefully the truck and I survive the winter conditions to see this through.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
...Iā€™m not a fan of having another nanny to assist with driving. However I do understand the other side and know some people that arenā€™t the greatest drivers in good conditions and could see them struggling with the regenerative braking. But those would be the same ones using to much throttle and braking even without it. Others just donā€™t want to think that ā€œhardā€ about driving and want the truck to adjust to the conditions versus having to adjust themselves.
No matter how good you are as a driver, having nanny assists are always helpful. Tell me you can do better than ABS in pumping the brakes.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

No matter how good you are as a driver, having nanny assists are always helpful. Tell me you can do better than ABS in pumping the brakes.
Pumping brakes with ABS is actually far worse. Just hold the pedal down and let the system do its thing. The issue a couple comments up is abruptly lifting off the throttle as one would do in an ICE. In an EV doing this gives max regen and the potential for locking up. You have to modulate the throttle on regen even on dry pavement unless you enjoy launching your passengers into the dash.

Sponsored

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone installed winter snow tires?
Yeah, I was hoping to get thru my first winter with the 21ā€ OEM Pirelliā€™s but the first ice storm we had changed my mind. Slid all over the road. Immediately ordered the 20ā€ ATā€™s from Rivian and have been pretty happy with them. Iā€™m not sure they perform as well as the Blizzaks or Hakkas but they seem to work well enough.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Ignorant winter question here coming from a Florida Boy formally in a 2000 Rover...

I used to fold up my wiper blades on cold, snowy nights or at the slopes. You can't fold up the blades on the R1T. What do?

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Wiper replacement mode? Havenā€™t tried yet and donā€™t know what it does

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Wiper replacement mode? Havenā€™t tried yet and donā€™t know what it does
Perfect! It turns the wipers vertical and they fold out easily from the driver's side.

Rivian R1T R1S Snow Mode Needed! - My first snow drives in R1S and R1T PXL_20221204_021609732

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Pumping brakes with ABS is actually far worse. Just hold the pedal down and let the system do its thing. The issue a couple comments up is abruptly lifting off the throttle as one would do in an ICE. In an EV doing this gives max regen and the potential for locking up. You have to modulate the throttle on regen even on dry pavement unless you enjoy launching your passengers into the dash.
Don't we all know these already!

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
+1 for everyone that's said those of you just lifting off the accelerator and engaging regen are doing it wrong. Drive slowly, carefully modulate your accelerator, and you'll be able to control how much regen kicks in. It doesn't go to 100% max regen the second you are a hair off 'accelerate'. It engages slowly as you come farther off the accelerator.

If you're sliding because of regen you're doing it wrong. That's not a truck issue.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Are you saying the R1T doesnā€™t have ABS ? Why would I need to pump the brakes

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Lived and learned to drive on frozen White Bear Lake, flat Minny is not the issue, send that big boy down hwy 26 in Oregon and come back with a report.
You guys crack me up, wanting automated driving. So you are implying that Oregon has slipperier ICE & Snow. Imho this whole subject is over blown. Iā€™d guess that some of the people bitching are also off road enthusiasts doing higher difficulty trails

The snow mode topic ā€œStarted as a Stoppingā€ issue. The 21ā€™s are obviously a poor choice for deep snow. But slippery is slippery and itā€™s really only the transition from coasting or accelerating that Iā€™m able to make the truck slide slightly before it catches its self.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You guys crack me up, wanting automated driving. So you are implying that Oregon has slipperier ICE & Snow. Imho this whole subject is over blown. Iā€™d guess that some of the people bitching are also off road enthusiasts doing higher difficulty trails

The snow mode topic ā€œStarted as a Stoppingā€ issue. The 21ā€™s are obviously a poor choice for deep snow. But slippery is slippery and itā€™s really only the transition from coasting or accelerating that Iā€™m able to make the truck slide slightly before it catches its self.
No one is asking for ā€œautomatedā€ driving. Why is it so hard to imagine that in states with steeper terrain and roads this might be an issue? There have been multiple posts with specific examples of what the problem is and possible solutions. No one ever said it was a problem in all 50 states. Most people will probably never use sand mode yet one existsā€¦.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I could see such a mode making some drivers overconfident.
Sponsored