First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
And maybe it should turn off the light bar on front end, or allow it to be turned off. From another post it sounds like it illuminates blowing snow making it blinding.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I spoke with a customer service employee a few weeks ago about snow tires and in the conversation he said I should be good in “snow mode”… I questioned him on it and he kind of stumbled and said he thought there was a snow mode but was wrong.
I am hoping he referred to an upcoming snow mode that employees have access to but maybe I’m just optimistic… would really prefer a low/no regen option for snow.

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Below is Rivian chat response to inquiry about snow mode for this winter. Also suggested no regen braking, slower throttle response, taller gears, and no front light bar.

“Thank you for the feedback, and we will undoubtedly notate for our team to see. We don’t have any future changes on the roadmap, but your feedback will help the team plan accordingly.”

While an OTA could do it before winter sets in, this did not inspire confidence given the typical Rivianese non-response.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just got off the phone with Brian who called back from Rivian service. He was hugely engaging and though he was unaware of a forthcoming snow mode, he felt it was important and useful enough to elevate the idea to "vehicle feedback intake" or something similar.

We talked through various snow driving needs and he even went so far to ask whether or not snow mode was needed in both on road and off road versions. I didn't think so generally as the biggest need was no regen braking, muted throttle, and perhaps taller gears and no front light bar. I stressed the need for no regen braking, especially in downhill turns or high speed travel, otherwise premature skidding could be caused.

He even commented that even if a forthcoming snow mode was added in the future, that perhaps Rivian would suggest one of the existing OR modes as a short-term interim workaround. He also seemed to agree with the assertion that snow mode would be perhaps the third most utilized driving mode after all purpose and sport.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Been driving an EV since 2018. If they implement a snow mode, I still want the full Regen capacity since Rivian doesn't do blended braking.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Been driving an EV since 2018. If they implement a snow mode, I still want the full Regen capacity since Rivian doesn't do blended braking.
How bout they just give us the option to set regen or not in snow mode? Then we can choose based on conditions and experience...

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
^I get the need for some level engine braking and/or low level regen braking to help aid in slowing a snowbound vehicle. The big issue though is at any speed or in a downhill turn, tapping the brakes in snow usually sends most vehicles into a slide.

Our Ioniq 5’s snow mode puts it in lowest level regen braking setting (1 of 4, max regen being 4), low or mild traction control to allow some slip and to prevent locking up, and muted throttle control.

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How bout they just give us the option to set regen or not in snow mode? Then we can choose based on conditions and experience...
Audi allows an Independent setting or custom setup by the driver whereby all input variables can be selected: Transmission aggression, throttle response, suspension height and firmness, exhaust note, etc. Not sure any EV manuf would allow such customized profile given the strong accelleration, heavy weight, and regen forces but mentioned this on the call.

Further, the I5 also allows driver to select any one of four regen braking levels with paddle shifters.

Last edited:

VermontR1T

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Why not just turn regen down/off in all purpose?

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Why not just turn regen down/off in all purpose?
Only two settings for regen in AP, and both are quite aggressive. No option to turn it off.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

^I get the need for some level engine braking and/or low level regen braking to help aid in slowing a snowbound vehicle. The big issue though is at any speed or in a downhill turn, tapping the brakes in snow usually sends most vehicles into a slide.
Your snow must work differently than mine. Last time I've had a vehicle slide out was when I was going faster than I should have been going on a road if it were dry and not snow covered.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

This is more a factor of not allowing any wheels to lock under regen. In my 4x4 I can brake more confidently in 4WD than in 2WD partially because the inertia in the drivetrain helps prevent lockup under light braking. I even use the gears a ton to engine brake without using the friction brakes, more akin to regen. The concern with regen in the snow is that if it doesn't properly sense lockup like ABS and friction brakes then you can get very undesirable handling characteristics. I very much still want regen in the snow though...as I said, similar to engine braking, but we also need that capability to make all the wheels turn at nearly the same rate (virtual lockers) to make it more effective.

OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your snow must work differently than mine. Last time I've had a vehicle slide out was when I was going faster than I should have been going on a road if it were dry and not snow covered.
Gotta get to first chair on a powder day.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
This is more a factor of not allowing any wheels to lock under regen. In my 4x4 I can brake more confidently in 4WD than in 2WD partially because the inertia in the drivetrain helps prevent lockup under light braking. I even use the gears a ton to engine brake without using the friction brakes, more akin to regen. The concern with regen in the snow is that if it doesn't properly sense lockup like ABS and friction brakes then you can get very undesirable handling characteristics. I very much still want regen in the snow though...as I said, similar to engine braking, but we also need that capability to make all the wheels turn at nearly the same rate (virtual lockers) to make it more effective.
I think I'd want the option to have regen and no regen. No regen would be preferred for me in icy conditions (which I get a lot), unless the throttle control gives me really, really fine control over the regen's engagement.
Sponsored