Sponsored

So my R1T was supposed to be delivered today...

• Thread starter Deleted member 11292
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Deleted member 11292

But I found out there's no guarantee that I'll be able to install a home charger in the housing (military) we're getting transferred to in July, so I cancelled my reservation. I think we're going to have to wait until my wife retires before I go EV.

Wondering if I should keep this Emporia charger that Amazon delivered sitting by the front door...
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Hepatightass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EVs only
Clubs

Does your Emporia charger need to be hardwired or can it be used with a 240V outlet? If your housing has a 240V outlet, you might be able to use that until you get transferred. That way, it's easier to pack it up and take it with you.

I have a Chargepoint HomeFlex and use the 14-50 outlet. That way, if it breaks, I can use either the charger that came with my Polestar or the one that came with my R1S

OP
OP

Deleted member 11292

Does your Emporia charger need to be hardwired or can it be used with a 240V outlet? If your housing has a 240V outlet, you might be able to use that until you get transferred. That way, it's easier to pack it up and take it with you.

I have a Chargepoint HomeFlex and use the 14-50 outlet. That way, if it breaks, I can use either the charger that came with my Polestar or the one that came with my R1S
It can be hard wired or used with a NEMA 14-50. Our current house has a NEMA 14-50 but the one we're moving to does not. Plus, she's been getting transferred EVERY year, and I don't even know we'll be staying in the States after that.

Hepatightass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EVs only
Clubs

It can be hard wired or used with a NEMA 14-50. Our current house has a NEMA 14-50 but the one we're moving to does not. Plus, she's been getting transferred EVERY year, and I don't even know we'll be staying in the States after that.
Gotcha, tough spot to be in. The Portable Charger's gonna give you about 7.7kW with your NEMA 14-50 outlet, and your Emporia charger's probably gonna max out the outlet at 9.6kW. That's roughly a 5mi/hr difference (16mi/hr vs 20-21mi/hr). If you don't drive many miles a day, it might not even be worth keeping the Emporia charger.

If y'all get transferred out the country and have to sell the R1 at that time, I guess returning the Emporia charger now means one less thing to worry about then.

I'm not familiar with military housing regulations, but if the new house has a different 240V outlet, would they let you change it out to a 14-50?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I live in an apartment so no possibility of a home charger for me. I plan to just hit the local EA or Chargepoint stations a couple times per month just like I would hit the gas station in my Tacoma. I do have a garage so I can use the regular wall charger which adds 2-3 miles per hour.

If the charging network is acceptable near your base I would still take delivery!

OP
OP

Deleted member 11292

Gotcha, tough spot to be in. The Portable Charger's gonna give you about 7.7kW with your NEMA 14-50 outlet, and your Emporia charger's probably gonna max out the outlet at 9.6kW. That's roughly a 5mi/hr difference (16mi/hr vs 20-21mi/hr). If you don't drive many miles a day, it might not even be worth keeping the Emporia charger.

If y'all get transferred out the country and have to sell the R1 at that time, I guess returning the Emporia charger now means one less thing to worry about then.

I'm not familiar with military housing regulations, but if the new house has a different 240V outlet, would they let you change it out to a 14-50?
I just realized I didn't say it, but I already cancelled my reservation.

It depends on where you get stationed. A previous resident installed the NEMA 14-50 in our current house, but there's no guarantee you can do that in all housing, or even that the housing will support it. A lot of the senior officer housing is old, historic places and I don't want to be in a situation where I'm picking a house based on a vehicle. Especially if it's once a year.

Plus, they ALMOST sent us to Germany for our next assignment, so my brand new truck would have been sitting in a garage on a plug at our house in the States for at least a year. Or vampire draining...
Sponsored