Sponsored

Solid RED light after partial charging with portable charger...

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
I've had my R1T about two months. I home charge with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on a 50A circuit, usually to 85% but occasionally to 100%. Never had an error or problem.

Last night I set it to charge to 100% for a longer trip today, this morning I was greeted with a solid red light and charged to only 90%.

The Rivian owners manual has the very helpful information:

Red (solid): Not Working

I plugged it back in for tonight, so far charging fine, has anyone else had the solid red light and it stop charging before completion? Fortunately I ended up not needing that extra range, but would like to be comfortable that it will charge fully overnight if needed...
Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I had the same thing happen back in March at a campground. I dissconnected it and repluged it , and it started again up to full charge. I have no idea what caused the fault. I mentioned it on a service ticket but never got an answer one way or the other.

OP
OP
pfbz

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
OK, will ignore until/unless it happens again...

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Solid Red typically means the wall mount exceeded a current value or other resistance load somewhere and shut the unit down. I had this happen on my 48A direct wire Rivian Wall Mount. It would go red after a period of time with the truck set at 48A. It worked perfectly for 3 months prior to this. Dropping the truck manually to 38A solved the issues and Rivian warranty replaced the box.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
I’ve had EVs since 2013 and it happens from time to time. Something in the electrical circuit had a hiccup and trip either the charger or the car. As long as charging continues to work and it doesn’t happen frequently, I wouldn’t worry.

As Mark suggested above it’s not a bad idea to charge at a low rated amperage unless you need the full amps. I have mine set to 24amps and my Polestar on our second charger set to 16amps. No need to stress the electrical system.

It would be nice if Rivian added notifications to the charging app. Optional notifications when finished or stopped charging.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I never had this issue and now 3 times in past month or so...come out to a red ring truck only partially charged. A push notification would sure be nice if the truck or Rivian charger are going to be over picky about whatever it seems they are being over picky about. 11k before first incident.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
As Mark suggested above it’s not a bad idea to charge at a low rated amperage unless you need the full amps. I have mine set to 24amps and my Polestar on our second charger set to 16amps. No need to stress the electrical system.
That is a very good idea. I’m dropping my amps down tonight!

LDove

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So….

I just had this happen to me. Our wall charger has been working perfectly for the 6 weeks we’ve had the R1S, and suddenly we’re only getting a solid red light and no charge.

I believe that I have the reason and solution: over the 6 weeks we have been using it, the hose has been getting twisted more and more with out us realizing it (it’s not as obvious as a kink in a garden hose). So I took the minute to unwind the hose, plugged it back in, and magic - the green light appeared and it’s charging perfectly.

Watch out for the coiling of the hose!!!!

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I never had this issue and now 3 times in past month or so...come out to a red ring truck only partially charged. A push notification would sure be nice if the truck or Rivian charger are going to be over picky about whatever it seems they are being over picky about. 11k before first incident.
This is an excellent idea. My Tesla has notified me when charging is interrupted (it's a setting you can toggle) for as long as I can remember.
Sponsored