Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yes, exactly, used to be Tanger now called the Shoppes at Blowing Rock. It in on the far right. Basically pull into the main entrance, take a right at the stop sign and keep going straight. It is about a 20 min walk to downtown BR. Still a few years away from being done but it is also just off the Middle Creek Greenway that will connect Boone and BR.

IMHO beats the supercharger location in the CVS parking lot in Boone.
I hadn't even realized there was a Supercharger in Boone now. There would have definitely been better spots in Boone, but I guess that was a compromise putting it closer to the BRP. Should have at least put it at the Publix or Walmart!

Thanks for the photos and update, btw! Now... where is the station going to be in Cherokee? I don't demand too much! :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

jhelmig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Totally agree on the location. Lot's of other places that would be easier to do _something_ while your car is charging...

BTW: On the Rivian charger, I think you can easily walk to Bass Lake / Moses Cone trails from there too. Taking a quick hike while your Rivian charges would be a very on-brand thing to do...

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
Does anyone have more info on this station? It worked for maybe a week, and from everything I've read on plugshare is no longer working. I can't recall another RAN station having this issue.

I haven't had an opportunity to make it to Blowing Rock since these were installed.

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Drove by the Blowing Rock chargers yesterday. All chargers were off. Call rivian charging support, confirmed not active, but no other info. Support said they would leave a note mentioning interest in using these. Charge cords seemed short, and stiff when I tried to use one. Look nice though.

Rivian R1T R1S Spotted: First Rivian RAN Charging Station location on East Coast! - Blowing Rock, NC 13B11514-D3FD-4B47-9C18-D861676B8FD7

Rivian R1T R1S Spotted: First Rivian RAN Charging Station location on East Coast! - Blowing Rock, NC B5EA85F7-1ED5-4587-90B2-D3A89CF4F670

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the update! I still think they're installing the stations backward. I understand the logic of having the pedestal be parallel to the parking spot and on the left side of the spot, but the screen and cable should be facing the spot you're in, not the spot to the left.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Driving to Norfolk tomorrow and these chargers would be a perfect place to charge en route. Shame they seem to be fooling around with this one.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks for the update! I still think they're installing the stations backward. I understand the logic of having the pedestal be parallel to the parking spot and on the left side of the spot, but the screen and cable should be facing the spot you're in, not the spot to the left.
And I still think this is the right way to do it because you don't have to step over the cable to take a look at the screen after you're already plugged in.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Driving to Norfolk tomorrow and these chargers would be a perfect place to charge en route. Shame they seem to be fooling around with this one.
OK, now I'm really curious how you get to Norfolk such that Blowing Rock is on the way!

And I still think this is the right way to do it because you don't have to step over the cable to take a look at the screen after you're already plugged in.
Hmm... I can see that argument. Does the charger's screen show different information than the vehicle screen while charging?

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

OK, now I'm really curious how you get to Norfolk such that Blowing Rock is on the way!
I will be driving solo and I'll be driving the Rivian, so what better time to take the scenic route?

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Stopped at the Rivian chargers in Blowing Rock, NC today (4/2/23). Three of the chargers were on, was able to charge my R1T from 42% to 80% in 25 minutes. Did not notice until later that these chargers are showing up on the R1's map. Peak charge rate was about 216 kw/hr, but slowed to 55kw at 80%.

Wish I had noticed sooner and had added the charger as a destination before arriving. As noted earlier, the chargers are at the "Shoppes on the Parkway" mall, near the spot where it shows a Pollination garden on the linked map.

Rivian R1T R1S Spotted: First Rivian RAN Charging Station location on East Coast! - Blowing Rock, NC 1680485047388

Rivian R1T R1S Spotted: First Rivian RAN Charging Station location on East Coast! - Blowing Rock, NC 1680485566143

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
Stopped at the Rivian chargers in Blowing Rock, NC today (4/2/23). Three of the chargers were on, was able to charge my R1T from 42% to 80% in 25 minutes. Did not notice until later that these chargers are showing up on the R1's map. Peak charge rate was about 216 kw/hr, but slowed to 55kw at 80%.

Wish I had noticed sooner and had added the charger as a destination before arriving. As noted earlier, the chargers are at the "Shoppes on the Parkway" mall, near the spot where it shows a Pollination garden on the linked map.

1680485047388.png

1680485566143.png
Just 3 of the 6? That is interesting. I'f I recall, after it initially opened, only 3 of 6 worked then the entire station was shut down. A few weeks ago I stopped by and techs were working on the chargers (great guys appreciate the chat and information). They believed the issue was software, not hardware. I wonder if Rivian was tired of the questions about when the station was going to be repaired and activated the working chargers. Worry about the rest later.

Or, I could be wrong.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Just 3 of the 6? That is interesting.
i think you're right, reports were only 3 were on earlier.

I didn't look closely at all 6, just that only three had the light bars on top turned on. The map showed 6 though. My understanding is that the RAN chargers are for Rivian only. If that's still so, three is overkill.

Even if they opened them up, 3 might be ok, I believe there are Tesla superchargers nearby in Boone and Hickory.

Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i think you're right, reports were only 3 were on earlier.

I didn't look closely at all 6, just that only three had the light bars on top turned on. The map showed 6 though. My understanding is that the RAN chargers are for Rivian only. If that's still so, three is overkill.

Even if they opened them up, 3 might be ok, I believe there are Tesla superchargers nearby in Boone and Hickory.
There are superchargers in Boone, Asheville, and Hickory. However, the Blue Ridge Parkway is a HUGE draw that will drive a pretty good bit of volume to any fast chargers in the area. The RAN station is closer to the BRP than the Boone Supercharger, which is located at a CVS.
Sponsored