First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
SC did alignment a couple months ago. It’s much better but now I experience a strange behavior. Some days it’ drives straight and other days it will pull right and into parked cars. This all on the same streets. Anyone experience this?
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Potential subframe issue. Or maybe ride heights inconsistent left to right?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yep. mine seems to depend on temperature. The warmer it is the straighter it drives. We will see how it is in the summer heat.

OP
OP
WSea

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Yep. mine seems to depend on temperature. The warmer it is the straighter it drives. We will see how it is in the summer heat.
Hadn’t thought of that. Now I’ll pay attention to temps

Sponsored

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Potential subframe issue. Or maybe ride heights inconsistent left to right?
Same issue with mine. In SC now and they said my subframe weld are separating. Getting replaced with the casted revision. Hopefully this fixes it. I’ve gone in about 3 times for alignment issues

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Same issue with mine. In SC now and they said my subframe weld are separating. Getting replaced with the casted revision. Hopefully this fixes it. I’ve gone in about 3 times for alignment issues
I suspect the cast subframes will solve your alignment challenges. If the subframe welds are breaking, that would cause suspension mount points to change, which would then change alignment.

I am hoping the service centers are inspecting these welded subframes each time where they know they have a tendency to crack, which I assume is in a concentrated stress location or maybe they just had poor weld quality consistency so some are good and some are bad. Not sure.

But....good luck.....I do think this will solve your alignment challenges.

emceter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Few questions I have to learn more.
  • Are we seeing this issue on R1S, R1T or both type of vehicles?
  • What are y'alls VINs that are having these issues? Are they early cars?
  • What's the mileage you started seeing these issues at? Did they develop over time or were quickly apparent?
It's a little worrisome welds are giving out in these vehicles so quickly honestly. That should literally never be the case.

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
Glad you posted this. Been noticing a tendency to pull right as well, but only sporadically. Some days, it's fine, others, it pulls. Same roads. Not tracking against temperature, but I did start noticing the behavior recently, which coincides with warmer temps of late. Either way, I'm opening a ticket.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WSea

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I suspect the cast subframes will solve your alignment challenges. If the subframe welds are breaking, that would cause suspension mount points to change, which would then change alignment.

I am hoping the service centers are inspecting these welded subframes each time where they know they have a tendency to crack, which I assume is in a concentrated stress location or maybe they just had poor weld quality consistency so some are good and some are bad. Not sure.

My truck was back at the SC last week and they did another alignment. Still does the occasional pull right so it wasn't fixed. They did get my steering wheel aligned. This subframe issue is worrisome. Is it a specific spot/connection that can be visually inspected? Vin 122xx so assuming I don't have the cast subframe.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
My truck was back at the SC last week and they did another alignment. Still does the occasional pull right so it wasn't fixed. They did get my steering wheel aligned. This subframe issue is worrisome. Is it a specific spot/connection that can be visually inspected? Vin 122xx so assuming I don't have the cast subframe.
I am not sure. I have looked closely at mine (I have some noises) and can't see any failures, but I can't see everything. But I have seen some posts about people having them replaced so that says something is up. And it was also noted by some that at one point in production alot of markings started showing up on subframes, indicating additional inspections of welds were happening. I have a very early one(3xxx), so I am more concerned too. You are probably in range with the higher inspections from what I recall. Which is a plus.

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Thanks man. Yeah makes sense - hoping this is the permanent fix to it. I’ll keep y’all updated

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Few questions I have to learn more.
  • Are we seeing this issue on R1S, R1T or both type of vehicles?
  • What are y'alls VINs that are having these issues? Are they early cars?
  • What's the mileage you started seeing these issues at? Did they develop over time or were quickly apparent?
It's a little worrisome welds are giving out in these vehicles so quickly honestly. That should literally never be the case.
Mine is an 8xxx R1T with about 11k miles. I’ve had alignment issues since 5k miles in which they’ve had various different “fixes” for, but always seemed like a band aid

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

This subframe issue is worrisome. Is it a specific spot/connection that can be visually inspected? Vin 122xx so assuming I don't have the cast subframe.
Yes! There's some pretty good pictures in this thread:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-front-subframe-edit.15003/page-2#post-333615

Looks like they changed from welded to cast around Feb. of 2023. I'm not a welder, but someone else on the thread pointed out the welds on the older ones are pretty sloppy...
Sponsored