Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
I like to share the issue that I had.
I was so surprised by the incident that I had a sudden acceleration during parking in a public parking lot.
I tried to fit my R1S into a lot. I did reverse and then tried to move forward a little bit.
Suddenly, my car accelerated and almost hit a car in right-front of mine.
Thank you, God! I was able to avoid crashing

It could be my operation mistake. However, I did not think so. I felt there was something sensitive in the acceleration.
I tied to figured out what was wroing.

I also researched the same or similar issue. Finally, I found the same cases at .

I called Rivian Service and reported the incident with the exact time and date (08:15AM Jan 30, 2023).
If you have any related issue, please share.
I hope that Rivian take in account the incident.

Thank you
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

heekim1

First Name
Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
In addition, I decided to record my footage using a dash cam. Instead of Front, Inside, and Rear, I will put cams in Front, Pedles, and Inside.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Did you come to a full and complete stop before shifting back into drive?

OP
OP

heekim1

First Name
Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
At the time, I set the Regenerative Brake to High. I reversed slowly and stopped by putting off the accelerator. I put my foot on the brake (I don't think that I pushed hard) and then tried to accelerate slowly.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
At the time, I set the Regenerative Brake to High. I reversed slowly and stopped by putting off the accelerator. I put my foot on the brake (I don't think that I pushed hard) and then tried to accelerate slowly.
Why would you need to use brake if moving in reverse slowly? Regen should stop you before shifting to drive

OP
OP

heekim1

First Name
Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
Why would you need to use brake if moving in reverse slowly? Regen should stop you before shifting to drive
I moved slowly (it is in a public parking lots). Regen stopped the car and Put my foot on the brake to shift Forward.
No matter what, the car shouldn't be accelerated. That's the point.
The reason that I don't that that s my operational mistake is that I was in public parking.
I don't need to accelerate hard. That's the point.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
So I'm not exactly sure what happened here honestly. You say the car "suddenly surged forward" but then you admit that you hit the accelerator to move forward? Did you hit the pedal to make the truck move or not? If so you're 100% the cause here.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Fat footed and grabbed both brake and accelerator? I used to occasionally grab the edge of the brake pedal in my stick cars if I was wearing boots, when pushing in the clutch. That was a hell of a thing.

OP
OP

heekim1

First Name
Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
So I'm not exactly sure what happened here honestly. You say the car "suddenly surged forward" but then you admit that you hit the accelerator to move forward? Did you hit the pedal to make the truck move or not? If so you're 100% the cause here.
you may the link that I posted. There are also persons like you. The sudden acceleration meant that I was not able to control because it was so rapid and impulsive. Even if I put both the brake and the accelerate on, I don't think that I push hard in a parking spot.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
you may the link that I posted. There are also persons like you. The sudden acceleration meant that I was not able to control because it was so rapid and impulsive. Even if I put both the brake and the accelerate on, I don't think that I push hard in a parking spot.
So you DID hit the accelerator but you just hit it too hard? This car has 835HP and instantaneous torque. Maybe you should just switch to something not quite as fast? Yeah I would say sudden launch speed acceleration when you're pulling into a parking spot would be an issue, which is why I don't mash the throttle when pulling into a sparking spot. You obviously did push "that hard" because the truck surged forward.

OP
OP

heekim1

First Name
Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
So you DID hit the accelerator but you just hit it too hard? This car has 835HP and instantaneous torque. Maybe you should just switch to something not quite as fast? Yeah I would say sudden launch speed acceleration when you're pulling into a parking spot would be an issue, which is why I don't mash the throttle when pulling into a sparking spot. You obviously did push "that hard" because the truck surged forward.
How do you sure if I push hard? To move a bit forward, do you think I pushed hard like you. I was about to push slowly.

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It could be something that you try and reproduce in an open parking lot somewhere.
Lots of skepticism in the messages here, but if there is a glitch in the system it's worth trying.

OP
OP

heekim1

First Name
Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
It could be something that you try and reproduce in an open parking lot somewhere.
Lots of skepticism in the messages here, but if there is a glitch in the system it's worth trying.
I know there would be skepticism. So I researched and found the same issue. I also request the service to check my log if they have. If you don't have you can skip. I d like share someone who has the same issue.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
These cars are controlled by software, who knows if some kind of bug caused your truck to surge. It's possible but that's an awful lot of truck to suddenly surge like that, plus it would have to get passed the regen as soon as you let off the accelerator. I'm not saying you're a bad driver, I don't know you, is it possible you went to touch the brake to adjust steering and tapped the throttle (re accelerator)?

The way you're describing it sounds like you dropped the clutch on a manual car in 1st year and it lurched forward.
Sponsored