First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Rivian, Please do not artificially gate launch control behind some stupid function that requires me to take my feet off the pedals and hands off the wheel and eyes off the road. It's stupid to do this and it's one of the reasons I got rid of the Hummer EV.
Completely agree.

It should be basic knowledge, if you apply both brake and accelerator, that the brake overrides the accelerator, up till the moment the brake no longer is being pressed. Then whatever position the accelerator is in, becomes the controlling signal. Any misuse of this is simply driver error.

I am not saying OP did this in any way...but commenting on putting launch mode behind some extra layer/s of controls to engage.

It would be ok however, whenever brake and accelerator are pressed at a complete stop....that the instrument panel shows a graphic and indicates that launch control is activated. Maybe even make a sound.
Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Rivian, Please do not artificially gate launch control behind some stupid function that requires me to take my feet off the pedals and hands off the wheel and eyes off the road. It's stupid to do this and it's one of the reasons I got rid of the Hummer EV.
Wow. That's strong words, calling me stupid over just a random thought. I'm perfectly ok with Rivian keeping the launch mode as simple as brake and throttle, just a thought. You do you bud with your Hummers and 3 Rivians.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wow. That's strong words, calling me stupid over just a random thought. I'm perfectly ok with Rivian keeping the launch mode as simple as brake and throttle, just a thought. You do you bud with your Hummers and 3 Rivians.
It's more about calling GM stupid for their "WTF Mode" theatrics that you have to go through in order to get the full power. Without doing it, you don't get full power.

Lpotter86

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Do we have pictures of the aftermath of the OPs damage from the accident? Im to lazy to do the checking but as far as EVs go, hasn’t every “unintended acceleration” been found to be user error?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Unless you are GM and came up with the WTF mode no one called you stupid

Sponsored

OP
OP

heekim1

First Name
Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
I tried to reproduce what happen (move back and forth) in a parking lot with my wife. I was not able to.
In this test, I realized that I did not set the regenerative brake mode to High.
I will try again with high.

Thank you

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
At around 330 in this video the Rivian creeps forward unexpectedly. Can't determine from video whether its operator error or something else but interesting recent video example of someone with low seat time in a rivian experiencing something similar.

Video

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

At around 330 in this video the Rivian creeps forward unexpectedly. Can't determine from video whether its operator error or something else but interesting recent video example of someone with low seat time in a rivian experiencing something similar.

Video
That was an experienced driver realizing he wasn't at the line yet

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Does "launch control" even do anything? I'll have to do a couple dragy runs with / without the brake pedal to see if it actually matters.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Does "launch control" even do anything? I'll have to do a couple dragy runs with / without the brake pedal to see if it actually matters.
It preloads the drivetrain, makes it hit a little harder. Mostly will see a reduction in the difference between 1ft rollout and normal 0-60 times. I don't know if it'll speed it up much after that but other auto manufacturers do with their launch controls.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
It preloads the drivetrain, makes it hit a little harder. Mostly will see a reduction in the difference between 1ft rollout and normal 0-60 times. I don't know if it'll speed it up much after that but other auto manufacturers do with their launch controls.
Yea in other manufacturers I agree it makes a difference, but in my R1T it doesn't feel like anything is being preloaded.
Sponsored