Sponsored

Suspension Squeaking on Bumpy Roads

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Anyone else experiencing suspension squeaking going over bumps at low speeds? Were you able to get this resolved by yourself or through a service center?

Link to audio recording:
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Mine makes a squishy type thumping sound, not so much a squeak. Reminds me of being in the cabin of a boat and hearing the water hit the hull.

I can't really hear any squeaky noises in your recording. Is it a high pitch?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Squeaks are “normal from “Normal.” They are getting an upgraded suspension from Tenneco probably in 2024. Tenneco makes the current suspension…me thinks that they did some upgrades to handle the weight of the R1 platform. That and the new Enduro motors have me thinking of going to in-house dual motor and new suspension when available.

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

Similar sounds here, it's quite annoying but not enough to justify 6 hours of driving to and from the SC. But I think it's fairly common issue though.

Sponsored

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Same exact sound here. Have service appt in a couple weeks for various other issues as well as this but doubt anything will come of it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's the dampers. Apparently there is a subcomponent that essentially creates a vortex as the hydraulic fluid rapidly goes through it and causes it to sneak. They're apparently looming at changing the size of the component.

And no, not every truck does it. In fact, my truck seems to do it some days and not at all others.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It's the dampers. Apparently there is a subcomponent that essentially creates a vortex as the hydraulic fluid rapidly goes through it and causes it to sneak. They're apparently looming at changing the size of the component.

And no, not every truck does it. In fact, my truck seems to do it some days and not at all others.
Viscosity change with temp?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Mine makes the same noise and the service center said it’s normal.

Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Yeah mine does it. Not enough to bother me or consider it a problem considering all the nasty crap I drive it through. Beats the crap out of hearing the constant noise of an ICE.

OP
OP
quartz

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

I tested four other Rivians prior to taking delivery, and none of them had squeaky dampers like mine. It's definitely not normal to have a brand new vehicle rattling and squeaking every time you go over tiny bumps; it doesn't seem to affect performance, so definitely more of an annoyance than a problem, but I do hope SC can fix it!

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Our truck sounds exactly the same. My theory is a lot of this noise comes from the under truck panels combined with some suspension noise. I recently tightened a bunch of the bolts holding the panels in place and that helped. But after a 1600 mile road trip the noises are back.

I feel like taking it into the shop is pointless until the come out with a fix (if they ever do). As others have mentioned, it's annoying but not enough to make me concerned.

If I turn on music or have the windows down it drowns out the noise. So that has been my way of trying to ignore it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I tested four other Rivians prior to taking delivery, and none of them had squeaky dampers like mine. It's definitely not normal to have a brand new vehicle rattling and squeaking every time you go over tiny bumps; it doesn't seem to affect performance, so definitely more of an annoyance than a problem, but I do hope SC can fix it!
It is with the Rivian. Everyone I know locally who I've asked about it has the behavior to various degrees. The only truck I've personally been in that didn't have it was a loaner I had for a week. One of the reddit mods has also talked about it quite a bit because it annoys him and I discussed it with a service tech this last week when I took my truck in for an unrelated issue.

That being said, take it in and have it checked. It very well may be something else like your subframe.

Metalocus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Anyone else experiencing suspension squeaking going over bumps at low speeds? Were you able to get this resolved by yourself or through a service center?

Link to audio recording:
Yep same exact sound when going in low speed/ bumps. once it gets to ur head it never goes away. truly annoying.
Sponsored