Sponsored

Suspension squeaks. A little birdie told me...

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Normally I wouldn't feel compelled to reply to Internet forum snarkiness. But the guy was super nice and seemed like he genuinely understood the situation and was not trying to BS me. In case anyone is questioning his intentions or that he was trying to get me out the door with a quick excuse. I didn't get that vibe at all.
Hopefully this software fix was already pushed out to some employee vehicles that had the squeak also, and they verified it fixed it.
Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Normally I wouldn't feel compelled to reply to Internet forum snarkiness. But the guy was super nice and seemed like he genuinely understood the situation and was not trying to BS me. In case anyone is questioning his intentions or that he was trying to get me out the door with a quick excuse. I didn't get that vibe at all.
I'll start off by saying that I didn't and haven't made a judgement on whether your Tech was BSing you or not. From my interaction with most Rivian employees, they seem to be quite genuine. That said, I am at least skeptical to an explination that "software will fix it".

As an electrical/SW engineer, many a times it has fall on me to "fix" a mechanical issue because it is easier to change electrons than steel/aluminum parts. We do our best, but there is only so much we can do within a given architecture.

Maybe it is a control timing issue that has now popped up with more miles on the cars and things are more out of spec than originally anticipated. I don't know if the active suspension is electronically controlled, but if so, maybe there is something that Software could do.

This will be a wait and see, and I'll caveat this with that I don't know the design and architecture at all, I'm skeptical that a Software update could fully address what seems to be a mechanical issue.

G_Land79

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi S4, 2014 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Statistician
Clubs

So just curious on this "bird" sound you got going. I've got a noise, like a squishing/creeking/griding. Is this the same or not? I swear mine is getting worse, too. Embarrassing.

I had that and mine was way worse. The service centers know what this is. It has to do with a bolt not being properly torqued where the CV front axle meets the wheel hub.

I had mine fixed (just today) and it sounds fine. Takes 45 minutes to fix both sides with grease a new bolt and a torque wrench. In some places mobile techs are doing it but I took mine in.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I asked the same question. To be honest, I don't really understand well enough how suspension dampers work, but the technician was very clear that it is a mechanism of the suspension dampers that's controlled by software. It sounded like it relates to the speed/frequency of how they engage, and that's what results in the bird chirping noise.
That makes sense. They can certainly adjust the flow rates and pressure rates of the suspension. Of course that theoretically could also mean the solution is that your suspension no longer moves. No move, no squeak. Problem solved, NEXT!

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Might be a valving thing, which is a software matter.
+1. The dampening seems like it is by fluid flow rate likely controlled via valve.

Sponsored

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
I had that and mine was way worse. The service centers know what this is. It has to do with a bolt not being properly torqued where the CV front axle meets the wheel hub.

I had mine fixed (just today) and it sounds fine. Takes 45 minutes to fix both sides with grease a new bolt and a torque wrench. In some places mobile techs are doing it but I took mine in.
This. ^

OTA? Yeah nah. And itā€™s not suspension. Only accel and slowing (not bumps or braking) do it. At least with the issue I have.

Mine has gotten obnoxious.

Anxiously waiting for my service appt.

I keep going under with intent to do something but without so much as proper torque specs itā€™s pretty much futile (for me at least).

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Mobile service came to fix a panel alignment today.

While he was here, I took the technician for a drive around the block to show him the "bird chirping" squeak noise that sounded like it was coming from the suspension when driving over bumps at low speeds.

He told me:
  • This is due to the suspension's dampers (paraphrasing)
  • It's totally normal and he hasn't come across a Rivian yet that doesn't make the noise
  • They are planning to fix it with an OTA in the future
Found it interesting, and encouraging that they have a software solution at least identified. No indication of when that may come.
uhhh... if its totally normal, you wouldnt fix it.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Squeaks are usually a hardware issue. If you watch the Munro Live video on the suspension you will see areas of the suspension where they have very close tolerances. Adjusting the suspension programming OTA to limit travel could be a band-aid to fix something like that but I doubt it. Some have said techs applied grease to certain areas to fix the squeak (temporarily??).

I wish we knew more about their system. But speculating is fun. Shock (or hydraulic damper, since that term has been used) valving could can a clicking noise if they depending on the type of bypass valving. I could also be convinced a strange noise could be made by the way the oil is routed. However, it should definitely change as the shock heats up. Has anyone notice it change after the suspension has been cycled a lot? I haven't noticed it on mine, but I love music so.....

I am just happy the airbags don't sound like a kazoo.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Have you tried out this remedy for squeaks, rattles, and wind noise? It has worked great for me since I discovered it. Using it right now actually

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
There's no software fix coming for the sound. There will likely be front end suspension adjustments/lubrication and or replacement parts at some point. Most trucks have this noise.

The real question is whether the sound is a byproduct of a defect or just something that's not set up or lubricated properly.

Johann

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
Product Manager
@gd_r1t
Is this the squeak you are referring to?

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22ā€ black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
@gd_r1t
Is this the squeak you are referring to?
I have something like this going on with mine too. Only happens when Iā€™m stopping or taking off. Annoys the hell outta me. Feels like Iā€™m rolling up in some 50 year old jalopy at every stop signā€¦ really wish rivian would just pro-actively start repairing the things they know are wrong rather than waiting for us to all submit tickets just to get told they already know about itā€¦

Last edited:

Johann

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
Product Manager
@SecretService
It was driving me nuts as well :)
Rivian service center in LA was able to fix mine though.

I was told it has to do with the half shaft on the wheels.
They sprayed some coating to help with metal-on-metal friction and tightened something to a new torque spec given by engineers. Sorry, could not remember what exactly was tightened.
Squak is completely gone, but since I got it back I now have a new suspension issue with right-front height lower than the rest :(
Sponsored