Sponsored

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Every auto company has to. China has their own plug. Europe calls their plug a CCS plug, but it isn't the same as the North American CCS plug.

Tesla currently manufactures all 4 vehicles with 3 different connectors, depending on geo.

Rivian, GM and everyone else has to, if they want to sell there, too.

I think people are getting ahead of themselves. This is like Apple opening up their lightning connector. Not going to be the standard. Abs now Apple is being forced to use usb c in Europe. If any car company wants to sell in Europe then they will stay with CCS. Only elon is stubborn enough to make cars with different charger ports.
Sponsored

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
Rivian…. You better get on board!!! Now Tesla doesn’t have to change its connectors out that another manufacture has accepted the Tesla connector as the North American charge standard. All those Government funded chargers will have the NACS connector that we won’t be able to access. Nobody can build chargers and install them as quickly as Tesla. Please please Rivian give me access to the supercharger network on my future Rivian purchase!

https://electrek.co/2022/11/23/aptera-use-tesla-charge-connector-solar-electric-car/

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Wonder how much Tesla paid Aptera to side with them?

Like we will ever see one of those... things... on a real road. If you do for some reason purchase one.. by all means choose the color you love, if someone in a 7,000lb Rivian ever hits you it will become your coffin.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Wonder how much Tesla paid Aptera to side with them?

Like we will ever see one of those... things... on a real road. If you do for some reason purchase one.. by all means choose the color you love, if someone in a 7,000lb Rivian ever hits you it will become your coffin.
Why be so dark and grim...

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Rivian…. You better get on board!!! Now Tesla doesn’t have to change its connectors out that another manufacture has accepted the Tesla connector as the North American charge standard. All those Government funded chargers will have the NACS connector that we won’t be able to access. Nobody can build chargers and install them as quickly as Tesla. Please please Rivian give me access to the supercharger network on my future Rivian purchase!

https://electrek.co/2022/11/23/aptera-use-tesla-charge-connector-solar-electric-car/
Is this “more than one manufacturer for charging credits” really a thing? I have never seen it cited anywhere, only as rumor.

In fact I think CCS is specifically called out for NEVI funding:

EV charging infrastructure includes at least four 150kW Direct Current (DC) Fast Chargers
with Combined Charging System (CCS) ports capable of simultaneously DC charging four
EVs;
from https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environmen...nations/90d_nevi_formula_program_guidance.pdf

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Aptera will not move the needle even a tiny bit towards making Tesla’s charger the standard.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
Aptera will not move the needle even a tiny bit towards making Tesla’s charger the standard.
I think the consideration the poster was thinking was that if Tesla's connector gets adopted by even one other manufacturer, it might now be considered a "standard" under the new infrastructure bill. This will both grant Tesla access to infrastructure money and backhandedly fulfill Elon's promise of opening up the supercharger network.

I've never seen that written anywhere official, but if it's true, then Aptera's quantity doesn't really matter, so long as they count as "another vehicle manufacturer."

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

In fact I think CCS is specifically called out for NEVI funding
It's not called out in the law though. I fully expect Tesla would rather spend money on lawyers than have to build CCS stations.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think the consideration the poster was thinking was that if Tesla's connector gets adopted by even one other manufacturer, it might now be considered a "standard" under the new infrastructure bill. This will both grant Tesla access to infrastructure money and backhandedly fulfill Elon's promise of opening up the supercharger network.

I've never seen that written anywhere official, but if it's true, then Aptera's quantity doesn't really matter, so long as they count as "another vehicle manufacturer."
Sure, I get that is Tesla’s goal in doing it. And I don’t claim to know what the criteria are for actually becoming a “standard”, but I can’t think of a reason why any of the other bigger automakers would agree to this. It makes no sense functionally or competitively for them to switch. Even if Fisker joined Aptera I can’t imagine it would make much of a difference.

Maybe you’re right though and all it takes is a few, regardless of size.🤷🏼‍♂️

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Why be so dark and grim...
Sorry, not intentionally grim.. just realistic.

Would you take one of those flimsy "automobiles" on a shared highway with 18 wheeler's etc?
Would you let one of your kids drive that "automobile" on a 4-lane freeway?

It's a car that probably will never see actual common roadways, but being a "manufacturer" they count as one clearing the way for Elon to get more free money.

FWIW... when I was a 18yo kid, I drove a MG Midget and Fiat X1/9 then later a 1992 Miata. Looking at those tiny vehicles now and the 7K lb SUV's and brodozers on the road today there's no way any of those vehicles are safe for high speed freeways any longer.