Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Tesla is opening up their proprietary charging solution,

Opening the North American Charging Standard | Tesla

Hopefully this will improve the CCS standard, or Tesla will get more to adapt to their standard. Whatever it is this is a good move (whatever their motive is).

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla opens up their EV connector design to the world (North American Standard) NACS-Blog-Image-02
Sponsored

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
They want those Federal Infrastructure grants. Easier/cheaper to convince a start-up like Aptera to use your connector than to add/or develop a CCS adapter. It is a superior connector, but I think its too late. Should have been done 5 years ago.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So this is how they hope to get money from the IRA to install more super chargers? Thats the way I read it. With this plan it seems unlikely they would add any CCS connectors to their network. Typical Elon move.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
So this is how they hope to get money from the IRA to install more super chargers? Thats the way I read it. With this plan it seems unlikely they would add any CCS connectors to their network. Typical Elon move.
Yeah the whole "advance the transition to sustainable energy" spiel is all bullshit.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I was skeptical if Tesla's plug supported V2X, but indeed it does according to the docs. I've never owned a Tesla but I do like the Tesla cable over the CCS cable. I'd buy a Tesla to CCS the day it's available in order to use the Supercharger stations. I wouldn't mind if future vehicles all had this NACS cable and I have to have an adapter to work with them, it'd be better overall IMO. But I think this is too late to the game, should have happened years ago.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
I think if you took a poll: Tesla vs Electrify America it would be clear. So no it’s not too late, let Tesla design the system for the EV market nationwide. Reliability and performance is paramount with the new upcoming masses, Tesla wins hands down.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I was skeptical if Tesla's plug supported V2X, but indeed it does according to the docs. I've never owned a Tesla but I do like the Tesla cable over the CCS cable. I'd buy a Tesla to CCS the day it's available in order to use the Supercharger stations. I wouldn't mind if future vehicles all had this NACS cable and I have to have an adapter to work with them, it'd be better overall IMO. But I think this is too late to the game, should have happened years ago.
After using a Tesla SC and charging with their cables, I can say going to the other end to use those CCS cables terrifies me. The Tesla SC cables are no larger or heavier than the L2 Charging cable I have in my garage.

What type of magic or voodoo Tesla does to get those cables slim and the charger so small, CCS needs to adapt to it.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

To be clear this is opening up just the design of the proprietary plug correct?
It's not actually opening up the supercharger network for use by non Tesla's?

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Are we sure this isn't just a fake twitter account?
The thought crossed my mind :D , but the link is a Tesla website link and Tesla forums are talking about it.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I think if you took a poll: Tesla vs Electrify America it would be clear. So no it’s not too late, let Tesla design the system for the EV market nationwide. Reliability and performance is paramount with the new upcoming masses, Tesla wins hands down.
Point is >99% of non-Tesla EVs made over the next 5 years will have CCS, those cars and trucks are already in development it would be too costly to redesign.

So while the SC network may be far superior, this is purely an attempt to take money away from developing CCS charging nationwide and keep Tesla’s competitive advantage.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
But this is the connector; not the network. Tesla has a better network than EA, but the plug isn't relevant to comparing the networks.

To be clear this is opening up just the design of the proprietary plug correct?
It's not actually opening up the supercharger network for use by non Tesla's?
Correct, though the whitehouse stated that Tesla would start opening up the supercharger network by the end of 2022, whatever that means. Not sure if that means adapters or they're just going to start putting CCS on the chargers themselves.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Haha. Can’t say I’m surprised. Elon thinks he knows what best on every topic. All this is is a play to avoid opening up the supercharger network but still get government money.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

3. Other Considerations 3.1 On-Board Charger DC Voltage Withstand Tesla’s implementation has the AC input of the on-board charger directly connected to the fast charge link. With this implementation, DC high voltage will be applied to the AC input of the on-board charger whenever DC fast charging is active. The on-board charger must be designed to withstand this DC voltage and must not attempt to convert power when DC fast charging is active to avoid damage to the on-board charger power converters. The maximum DC voltage that the on-board charger must withstand can be derived as the greater of maximum pack voltage and maximum voltage seen during the DC charging external isolation check If the on-board charger cannot meet this voltage withstand requirement, an alternative option is to separate the on-board charger from the fast charge link using relays or contactors. Failure modes of DC EVSEs must also be considered when choosing the maximum withstand voltage. Tesla has encountered situations where DC EVSEs applied higher than expected DC voltage during external isolation testing, caused either by vehicle or EVSE malfunctions, resulting in damage to the on-board charger or other components connected to the fast charge link. An example of this is EVSEs rated for maximum voltage supported by the CCS standard unexpectedly applying this maximum voltage to a vehicle advertising it does not support this range. While it is not required to ensure there is no damage to components due to this failure mode, manufacturers should consider this malfunction when designing the system and at minimum ensure the failure is contained and does not pose safety hazards.
This is exactly why I prefer the CCS method. I don't like the way Tesla exposes the OBC to the external HVDC. I think it's bad engineering.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Correct, though the whitehouse stated that Tesla would start opening up the supercharger network by the end of 2022, whatever that means. Not sure if that means adapters or they're just going to start putting CCS on the chargers themselves.
I think this is them trying to weasel out of that. If they can get just one other start up (Aptera) to join, then they get funding. No need to open it up anymore.
Sponsored