Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Question for those smarter than me on this stuff. If somehow the Tesla plug does become more popular with other manufacturers, how hard would it be for say Rivian to retrofit our trucks?
Doubt they would retrofit. Probably an adapter.
Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
The CCS charging network is a joke...it's not ever going to fix itself in it's current form. There's nothing wrong with Tesla stipulating mandates to use its charging network.

Edit: It's massive news because as I stated, CCS is such a joke, if it wasn't so bad the Tesla news would be welcomed and that's it.

Myself, a previous EV nut, stopped recommending any EV purchases to others years ago, except Tesla.

Last edited:

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
100% agree. Can't wait to retrofit my R1T

I was skeptical if Tesla's plug supported V2X, but indeed it does according to the docs. I've never owned a Tesla but I do like the Tesla cable over the CCS cable. I'd buy a Tesla to CCS the day it's available in order to use the Supercharger stations. I wouldn't mind if future vehicles all had this NACS cable and I have to have an adapter to work with them, it'd be better overall IMO. But I think this is too late to the game, should have happened years ago.
100% agree
I think if you took a poll: Tesla vs Electrify America it would be clear. So no it’s not too late, let Tesla design the system for the EV market nationwide. Reliability and performance is paramount with the new upcoming masses, Tesla wins hands down.

This is Tesla opening up the network. Read the article - Tesla welcomes other brands at the Supercharger network. This is massive news.

To be clear this is opening up just the design of the proprietary plug correct?
It's not actually opening up the supercharger network for use by non Tesla's?

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
It's worth repeating this text from the Tesla announcement;

Similarly, we look forward to future electric vehicles incorporating the NACS design and charging at Tesla’s North American Supercharging and Destination Charging networks.

This is huge. I want a Tesla connector on my R1T, asap.

Yesterday was the death of CCS.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
No it’s not them opening up their network. They still need to open up their protocol. This is just another Elon stunt to get more government funding.

Sponsored

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
What do you think is meant by this statement?

Similarly, we look forward to future electric vehicles incorporating the NACS design and charging at Tesla’s North American Supercharging and Destination Charging networks.

No it’s not them opening up their network. They still need to open up their protocol. This is just another Elon stunt to get more government funding.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
They have always said companies can use their supercharger network If they invested in it. No different now.

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
As long as the vehicle has NACS, it is good to go on the Supercharger network.

I am so excited by this. This is huge for us. Like...I'm going to be able to use this truck more than my Tesla...for once. When I heard the news, I literally started to tear up and cry. I was so frustrated - $80k purchase, and I can't even use it where I want to. I was at my wits end with the CCS network.

They have always said companies can use their supercharger network If they invested in it. No different now.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Are they not like different languages though. I remembered reading that somewhere I do like the Tesla connection better though and would be glad if it all standardized to that one.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
OK, seriously everyone who's excited by this announcement... relax and lower your expectations. At best this means you might eventually be able to use a Tesla Supercharger with an adaptor. Other manufacturers are not going to put NACS into their vehicles. Maybe a niche manufacturer like Aptera will, but VAG, Hyundai/Kia, GM, Ford, Rivian, etc. will not. It's a proprietary connector and nobody will want to be tied to the whims of Tesla and Elon Musk -- most especially after the ongoing Twitter fiasco.

Sponsored

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Any NACS equipped vehicle can charge on the supercharger network. I cried tears of joy.

To be clear this is opening up just the design of the proprietary plug correct?
It's not actually opening up the supercharger network for use by non Tesla's?
There are no subsidies for operating or maintaining a charger. The IRA is well intentioned, but falls short, because they don't have anything in it to ensure the chargers are reliable and operating. The myriad of vehicle and charger manufacturers adds to the challenges with CCS reliability, but because CCS is a standard - the variations should be non-existent. IMO... reliability is mostly due to lack of $ to maintain the chargers.

The reason people say Tesla Superchargers are more reliable has little-to-nothing to do with the connector, however.

Tesla built a charging network that ONLY has to work with Tesla vehicles. It had better be reliable!

The CCS DCFC stations have to charge with many different manufacturers and models.
Studies have shown DCFC is unprofitable on most every utility provider in USA. 95%+ will lose money on every transaction. This is why no one is rushing to enter the market, and why there is so little money spent on maintaining it. The more it's used, the more they lose.

I think this comment is a bit delusional. If DC charging was so profitable you would see everybody building chargers at every corner like how new cryptocurrencies popped up every week. DC charging is capital intensive and profits are non existent given how low per kWh rates are (surge charges nuke all profits I suspect). Hence we have $7.5B in Biden bucks to subsidize building them.

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Yesterday was the death of CCS. I bet every manufacturer had emergency meetings late Friday to discuss this.

Think about it...

CCS ports are huge - design limitations due to their size. Manufacturers have more flexibility with NACS

CCS cables are heavy and more expensive to manufacture - water cooled and all. Manufacturers have more flexibility with NACS. Consumers can more easily use them.

CCS is less reliable. There are multiple reports of people having issues charging due to the watercooled cable sensor failing (as reported by EA). The additional complexity is increasing the fragility of an already....unstable, at best, solution.

Every automotive company knows that their customers biggest concern is charging availability and reliability. These same automotive companies are not trying to become EV charging companies...so chicken and egg problem.

Tesla solved all these problems with this announcement.

It makes no sense to ship any EV with a CCS adapter anymore. It makes no sense to manufacture a CCS charger anymore. Everyone should be lobbying congress to revise the IRA to include NACS.

I want a Rivian R1T retrofit asap. I'd even pay $10,000 USD for it

OK, seriously everyone who's excited by this announcement... relax and lower your expectations. At best this means you might eventually be able to use a Tesla Supercharger with an adaptor. Other manufacturers are not going to put NACS into their vehicles. Maybe a niche manufacturer like Aptera will, but VAG, Hyundai/Kia, GM, Ford, Rivian, etc. will not. It's a proprietary connector and nobody will want to be tied to the whims of Tesla and Elon Musk -- most especially after the ongoing Twitter fiasco.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yesterday was the death of CCS. I bet every manufacturer had emergency meetings late Friday to discuss this.

Think about it...

CCS ports are huge - design limitations due to their size. Manufacturers have more flexibility with NACS

CCS cables are heavy and more expensive to manufacture - water cooled and all. Manufacturers have more flexibility with NACS. Consumers can more easily use them.

CCS is less reliable. There are multiple reports of people having issues charging due to the watercooled cable sensor failing (as reported by EA). The additional complexity is increasing the fragility of an already....unstable, at best, solution.

Every automotive company knows that their customers biggest concern is charging availability and reliability. These same automotive companies are not trying to become EV charging companies...so chicken and egg problem.

Tesla solved all these problems with this announcement.

It makes no sense to ship any EV with a CCS adapter anymore. It makes no sense to manufacture a CCS charger anymore. Everyone should be lobbying congress to revise the IRA to include NACS.

I want a Rivian R1T retrofit asap. I'd even pay $10,000 USD for it
You're well into fantasyland here.

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Just checked the Tesla Owners Club group for our state. They already celebrate the opening of new Superchargers with champagne - real champagne (not cava); now they are discussing re-celebrating when the first retrofits/new vehicles are able to visit the Superchargers.

It's pretty sweet. They adopt the chargers; putting out trash cans, cleaning the actual chargers, even buying window squeegee things and filling them up regularly.

I am so excited. I hope my R1T is able to participate at that event. I imagine they'll have 12 non-Teslas pull up, "officially announce the re-opening", have the owners plugin, then pop the champagne bottles, have a big round of applause...

I'll bring my vuvuzela and cowbell out to make some noise.

This is so exciting. I cannot wait to be welcomed, as a Rivian owner (already a Tesla owner), to the supercharger network. There is going to be an epic party going on - probably nationwide

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Only fantasy is the thought of the CCS network being sufficient, or reliable ;) lol.

Quit trying to ruin the fun.

I want access to the Supercharger network, and I want it nowweweeewewwwww.

You're well into fantasyland here.
Sponsored