Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

I've participated in your raffle in the past, but can't in good conscience support anyone who buys a vehicle from Tesla anymore.
That's why we're adding a Rivian!
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Welcome @PeterSK...

We have a pretty decent bunch of "regulars" round here. Just like TMC, there are some fanbois that give Rivian a pass at almost everything, but unlike TMC, you can at least express your honest opinion without having to look over your shoulder for avenging forum ninjas next time you walk out of your house because you dared to criticize Tesla or EM.
Same. Spent many hours on TMC, but not much in the last six months. The 3 is gone. The MYP sold to make room for the R1T and the MS Plaid remains in the stable.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Nope, you aren't crazy. I own both a Tesla Model X and a Rivian R1S. Yes indeed, this forum reminds me of the early days of Tesla complete with buggy software, occasional manufacturing issues, and a company that is trying to grow up quickly.

The R1S is a worthy competitor to the Model X. Much bigger, more capable from a driver/utility perspective, no funky crap like Falcon Wing doors. Very similar feature set to what Tesla has frankly. The biggest issue is range/fast charging network. But if that isn't an issue (and Rivian is coming out with a max pack, so it'll make it even better), and/or the CCS network is fine on the routes you expect to use it on, then put a deposit down!

Honestly, I don't know why people wouldn't put deposits down for these sought after vehicles. If you think you might possibly want an F150 Lightning, Rivian R1T or R1S, Cybertruck, Roadster, or some of the newer EVs coming out, just put down a deposit now and get your place in line. The lines aren't going to get shorter anytime soon.

OP
OP
PeterSK

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

Ok, you guys convinced me. I just put down an R1S deposit. Having watched Doug DeMuro’s R1S review, I can tell that many/most features are similar to Teslas, plus a few useful/quirky features that go beyond: quad motor, power frunk, outlets, compressor, etc.

The fast charging network is my biggest concern but even now I know where I could likely stop on my most frequent long drives, and the coverage should be much improved a year or more from now.

Question: I understand the R1S’s boxier shape makes for more useful interior space with a similar external footprint, but how do they compare when driving? Does the Rivian feel much higher and bigger?

Thanks - and please check out the raffle/spread the word. I need to improve our sales trajectory. I’ll look into advertising on Rivianforums now that we added the R1S as an alternative grand prize.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Ahh yeessss……….come to the dark side.

Welcome.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Ok, you guys convinced me. I just put down an R1S deposit. Having watched Doug DeMuro’s R1S review, I can tell that many/most features are similar to Teslas, plus a few useful/quirky features that go beyond: quad motor, power frunk, outlets, compressor, etc.

The fast charging network is my biggest concern but even now I know where I could likely stop on my most frequent long drives, and the coverage should be much improved a year or more from now.

Question: I understand the R1S’s boxier shape makes for more useful interior space with a similar external footprint, but how do they compare when driving? Does the Rivian feel much higher and bigger?

Thanks - and please check out the raffle/spread the word. I need to improve our sales trajectory. I’ll look into advertising on Rivianforums now that we added the R1S as an alternative grand prize.
For this raffle can you be anywhere to enter it? If the Rivian is a prize I can always collect it for my wife on the extremely slim chance I won.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Hi all,
I've been a Tesla owner, shareholder and fan since I picked up my Model S85 (#6006) in early March 2013. Had an X, 3 and Y since then, and still have my 2016 X P90D (#661) and Model Y. I run an annual fundraising Tesla raffle for a Boston-based climate nonprofit, Climate XChange. This year is our 7th year, and sales have been slow. We fixed some technical issues, but they were still slow. Then we got feedback that some past and potential ticket buyers aren't that excited about winning a Tesla, given Elon Musk's recent behavior. So I looked at alternatives, and we made a deposit and added the R1S as an extra grand prize option for those not interested in a Tesla!

Funny thing is, in doing the research, I started getting excited about not just the R1S and the company, but also this forum. The feeling of shared excitement and community here on Rivianforums reminds me of the many hours I spent on Tesla Motors Club from 2012 through 2017 or so, until the community feeling diminished as the membership size grew dramatically with the introduction of the Model 3. I love my 6.5 year old Titanium Model X, but the extended warranty will run out at 8 years. I haven't had any repair issues for years other than some collision work, but the maximum range started at 250 miles and now is less. Despite the fact that it has free supercharging for life, I find myself thinking about replacing it with a Forest Green R1S when the warranty runs out.

Am I crazy?
IMG_7728.jpeg
Crazy?
We're all a little crazy. I have an X and an R1T, so I'll try to assemble my thoughts to help us both decide what to do. : )
Of course, hindsight, the time to make this decision would have been 6 months ago when resale prices were in a bubble.
For me, 3 years, let alone 8 years in a given vehicle is long enough.
This is our second X and keeping it 3+ years is a testament to the appeal and value of the Model X.
I think the R1S is a lot more interesting than the X.

I think the R1T is full of potential. I've lost confidence in Rivian to deliver on that potential.

The Rivian onboard software is junk. The app is junk. Rivian service is junk. Not the formula for a satisfactory ownership experience. I persevere with the R1T because it's a great vehicle itself, it's just hobbled by junk software and a startup company that has repeated the mistakes of Tesla rather than learning those lessons.

If you need the advantages of the X, it's the superior machine in terms of efficiency and straight line acceleration (though your 2016 is maybe not.)
"Free" Supercharging is worth only whatever you spend. I do a lot of road trips and have free lifetime Supercharging in our "old" 2018 X and still prefer to drive the R1T and deal with the disadvantages of DCFC availability and cost – it's just not enough to make the decision.

We're keeping the X because it has FSD and I want to see that unfold. For now, I find Autopilot to be worse than it was in 2016 with Mobileye. Driver+ is useless, but should improve. I just got FSD, so I have no real opinion other than I'm not trusting it any time soon.

As for ownership experience, Elvis has left the building. It was great until a few months ago, then Rivian, I dunno, just when snafu/fubar in Service and appears to be just fine with poor service, poor initial build quality.

Rivian might be an EDV company now and they just haven't told us.

Rivian "quiet quit" the R1 (no Max Pack, no winch … both significant advantages to me) really the delay of another two years for Max Pack is a dealbreaker, so I'll be getting probably a Ford or GM … yeesh … instead of the R1S or maybe the R1S will replace the R1T.

I don't need another SUV and I like the R1T, plus I have it, it's relatively inexpensive and it's a "good one" with no defects.

'm expecting Tesla will have updates or new models in '23, so we might update the if they sort out their FSD policy. I have a Cybertruck "day one" order (doesn't everyone?) but I doubt that will replace the R1T. I'll get the CT for novelty, then sell it unless it has some compelling value (e.g. towing range.)

I could see myself keeping the R1T Large till the R1.1T Max arrives.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Crazy?
We're all a little crazy. I have an X and an R1T, so I'll try to assemble my thoughts to help us both decide what to do. : )
Of course, hindsight, the time to make this decision would have been 6 months ago when resale prices were in a bubble.
For me, 3 years, let alone 8 years in a given vehicle is long enough.
This is our second X and keeping it 3+ years is a testament to the appeal and value of the Model X.
I think the R1S is a lot more interesting than the X.

I think the R1T is full of potential. I've lost confidence in Rivian to deliver on that potential.

The Rivian onboard software is junk. The app is junk. Rivian service is junk. Not the formula for a satisfactory ownership experience. I persevere with the R1T because it's a great vehicle itself, it's just hobbled by junk software and a startup company that has repeated the mistakes of Tesla rather than learning those lessons.

If you need the advantages of the X, it's the superior machine in terms of efficiency and straight line acceleration (though your 2016 is maybe not.)
"Free" Supercharging is worth only whatever you spend. I do a lot of road trips and have free lifetime Supercharging in our "old" 2018 X and still prefer to drive the R1T and deal with the disadvantages of DCFC availability and cost – it's just not enough to make the decision.

We're keeping the X because it has FSD and I want to see that unfold. For now, I find Autopilot to be worse than it was in 2016 with Mobileye. Driver+ is useless, but should improve. I just got FSD, so I have no real opinion other than I'm not trusting it any time soon.

As for ownership experience, Elvis has left the building. It was great until a few months ago, then Rivian, I dunno, just when snafu/fubar in Service and appears to be just fine with poor service, poor initial build quality.

Rivian might be an EDV company now and they just haven't told us.

Rivian "quiet quit" the R1 (no Max Pack, no winch … both significant advantages to me) really the delay of another two years for Max Pack is a dealbreaker, so I'll be getting probably a Ford or GM … yeesh … instead of the R1S or maybe the R1S will replace the R1T.

I don't need another SUV and I like the R1T, plus I have it, it's relatively inexpensive and it's a "good one" with no defects.

'm expecting Tesla will have updates or new models in '23, so we might update the if they sort out their FSD policy. I have a Cybertruck "day one" order (doesn't everyone?) but I doubt that will replace the R1T. I'll get the CT for novelty, then sell it unless it has some compelling value (e.g. towing range.)

I could see myself keeping the R1T Large till the R1.1T Max arrives.
What about the Rivian software is junk exactly? I’m not coming from a Tesla, my last daily is an Audi SQ5 sportback prestige. In my experience the Rivian software is onpar with the Audi. Sure the Audi has car play but it syncs like shit with my phone, every second time you enter the car you have to back out of car play and back in basically restarting it.

Rivian doesn’t have CarPlay but it syncs with my phone every time without having to make any additional steps and since I use it primarily for streaming music the Rivian is sufficient there. The Rivian native gps and maps is better than the Audi native one. The search is faster and more comprehensive and works better.

I can customize my instrument cluster in the Audi and it has a Hud both of which are nice but with the associated shortcomings I see it as a wash over Rivian.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Got my 2014 S 5 years ago exactly. We then went through the whole line up. Sold the Y to get the R1T, and we're keeping the X (free SC plus you won't pry it from my wife's hands...).

The customer service at Rivian reminds me of Tesla pre mass production. I have no idea how long it will last but enjoying it while we can.

In Norcal Tesla are ubiquitous, so they have lost a bit of their cachet. They're still great cars, and our R1T is a great complement.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Well, you do ride higher, but not too high. It is actually a lot lower than another full size SUV, like the Infinit QX80 or Nissan Pathfinder. It is also a very tight ride. Feels smaller than other full sized SUVs.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
What about the Rivian software is junk exactly? I’m not coming from a Tesla, my last daily is an Audi SQ5 sportback prestige. In my experience the Rivian software is onpar with the Audi. Sure the Audi has car play but it syncs like shit with my phone, every second time you enter the car you have to back out of car play and back in basically restarting it.

Rivian doesn’t have CarPlay but it syncs with my phone every time without having to make any additional steps and since I use it primarily for streaming music the Rivian is sufficient there. The Rivian native gps and maps is better than the Audi native one. The search is faster and more comprehensive and works better.

I can customize my instrument cluster in the Audi and it has a Hud both of which are nice but with the associated shortcomings I see it as a wash over Rivian.
Nav and charging are the big problems. Route management, management State of Charge, etc.
But all kinds of UX things (controlling vehicle functions) is a mess.
Functionality is grossly missing (from simple stuff like "it shouldn't wipe the windshield wipers with the driver's door open" to "hide and seek" for basic functions … e.g. turn on pet mode … keep pet mode on as default, turn on kneel mode one-time)
Also there's no dashcam, the 360º view has blind spots (?!) at the corners of the vehicle … .where you most need a camera view for parking.
Compare to Land Rover from years ago (transparent hood) or Google's voice recognition and the Rivian UX is junk.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Nav and charging are the big problems. Route management, management State of Charge, etc.
But all kinds of UX things (controlling vehicle functions) is a mess.
Functionality is grossly missing (from simple stuff like "it shouldn't wipe the windshield wipers with the driver's door open" to "hide and seek" for basic functions … e.g. turn on pet mode … keep pet mode on as default, turn on kneel mode one-time)
Also there's no dashcam, the 360º view has blind spots (?!) at the corners of the vehicle … .where you most need a camera view for parking.
Compare to Land Rover from years ago (transparent hood) or Google's voice recognition and the Rivian UX is junk.
I suppose than when you really think about it I could come up with a few more gripes about the Rivian's software. I don't like how you cannot adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipers and there is no delay option for the wipers without just using the auto. You get a certain tempo of rain and it doesn't activate enough or for many kinds of rain it activates too often.

I don't really use much of the other features to any great enough degree that I would notice those things. Pet mode is nice to have but I don't think I've ever even used it short of just to play with it. This is why I asked, lots of people use things in different ways and what might be an issue for some doesn't even register for others.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I suppose than when you really think about it I could come up with a few more gripes about the Rivian's software. I don't like how you cannot adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipers and there is no delay option for the wipers without just using the auto. You get a certain tempo of rain and it doesn't activate enough or for many kinds of rain it activates too often.

I don't really use much of the other features to any great enough degree that I would notice those things. Pet mode is nice to have but I don't think I've ever even used it short of just to play with it. This is why I asked, lots of people use things in different ways and what might be an issue for some doesn't even register for others.
I use pet mode every time I park (whether it's doggo or not wanting the cabin to hit 120 degrees in 30 minutes.) I just ordered a sunroof cover – maybe that will help. Putting up the windshield heat shield every time is just too tedious.

I haven't had any trouble with the wipers, but the windshield still has some sort of coating that makes it a bit cloudy when wiping. Maybe just needs a better cleaning agent.

One good thing about the wipers, when they're buried in snow, e.g. when you brake and the snow slides down off the roof, they will shut off for a few minutes (a few minutes of panic as I think there's a blown fuse somewhere, which is how Tesla handles overloaded wipers, absurdly) but by the time you get the snow off the windshield, the wipers recover and start working again. So they've thought through that detail.

Numerous other details have lead me to the conclusion Rivian didn't "finish" the R1T in 2021, they just stopped. They needed to bring it to market, they cut features, cut corners, deleted content and made a go of it. I'm glad they did. Right decision, if perhaps a year late. It's still the reference point for all EVs (not just pickups) and will continue to be a great, niche vehicle with features that make it uniquely appealing (and better priced) than just about anything till maybe GM comes along with onboard power, mid-gate, multi-function tail-gate, rear-wheel steering, presumably a winch … all the major features that Rivian dropped in the "too hard" basket. I was fine with content dropping into the too-hard basket, but now it's been literally years and progress on software has been … disappointing to say the least.

I look at the mobile app and – I'm in the software world, so I have a degree of knowledge – I think I'm looking at a poorly patched together mock-up, not something I'd ever consider publishing. Rivian has billions and will eventually have to write the code, I don't see why it's not a priority to get out there and be in front instead of being "sheesh" level functionality.

Last edited:

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I too have had Tesla's since 2012.

The Tesla is certainly more advanced in its software, but I've found that most of the stuff I never used anyway and don't miss it in the Rivian. Do wish the driver assist was better and I miss waypoints that Tesla FINALLY added after 9 years.

After 10 years with the Tesla, I was Tesla'd out and ready for a change. I'm loving the Rivian and aside from the above, not feeling like I downgraded. I'm so happy to finally have something different!. In my area, Tesla's are a dime a dozen and are everywhere you look. Nice to have something unique again.

Tesla's are still great cars, but not a fan of the direction they went with the S & X interiors. Hate them actually. So my 2019 Model S was the last Tesla I will own. it was a great balance between new tech and standard controls and I loved it. I hated my Model 3. Kept it only for a couple of months and went back to the Model S. The Rivian, in terms of function and controls is very Model 3/Y like. At least it still has stalks and a normal horn, which are much appreciated.

Aside from the tech superiority of the Tesla, overall the Rivian simply offers more. Just depends on what's important to you? If you watch movies and play video games in your car all the time? I never did. While I liked autopilot better, I really didn't use it all that much to begin with, so not a big loss. Hopefully Rivian will add waypoint with a future software update.

The Rivian at $90,000 versus a base model LR Model X at $125,000. I'll take the Rivian. If you want the Plaid, now you're over $150,000. $60,000 more just to accelerate quicker. The Rivian at 3.2 0-60 is MORE THAN QUICK ENOUGH. I had one Tesla that was the Performance model and never used the power. The standard LR version is already quite quick as it is. But, if you need to accelerate to 60 in less than 2.5 seconds, Tesla is the better option. For me, just about everything else, I prefer what the Rivian offers that the Tesla does not and for at least $35,000 less ($60,000 if acceleration is important to you).

Last edited:

Andy96734

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX 90D 2016
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Hi all,
I've been a Tesla owner, shareholder and fan since I picked up my Model S85 (#6006) in early March 2013. Had an X, 3 and Y since then, and still have my 2016 X P90D (#661) and Model Y. I run an annual fundraising Tesla raffle for a Boston-based climate nonprofit, Climate XChange. This year is our 7th year, and sales have been slow. We fixed some technical issues, but they were still slow. Then we got feedback that some past and potential ticket buyers aren't that excited about winning a Tesla, given Elon Musk's recent behavior. So I looked at alternatives, and we made a deposit and added the R1S as an extra grand prize option for those not interested in a Tesla!

Funny thing is, in doing the research, I started getting excited about not just the R1S and the company, but also this forum. The feeling of shared excitement and community here on Rivianforums reminds me of the many hours I spent on Tesla Motors Club from 2012 through 2017 or so, until the community feeling diminished as the membership size grew dramatically with the introduction of the Model 3. I love my 6.5 year old Titanium Model X, but the extended warranty will run out at 8 years. I haven't had any repair issues for years other than some collision work, but the maximum range started at 250 miles and now is less. Despite the fact that it has free supercharging for life, I find myself thinking about replacing it with a Forest Green R1S when the warranty runs out.

Am I crazy?
IMG_7728.jpeg
Have the exact same Titan MX from Oct 2016 and jumped on RVN preorder on day one. (Order #2702) MX is OK but as you know, not exactly a full SUV, more of a CUV. RVN learned from Tesla and is in my opinion now ahead in style, features and functionality. R1S now expected 7/23 (HI location Disadvantage). Think MX leads in software, but also had growing pains with it—from the A frame squeaker to Suspension issues a month after warranty expired. Time for a change and hope RVN keeps to its delivery windo this time.
Sponsored