Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
If I know the new, round steering wheel retrofit and a center horn, I'd almost certainly keep the Model X. But, per a service advisor, it will not. Tesla has a tendency to not communicate to their employees, so he may very well be wrong. If he's not wrong, though, it would push me to consider getting out of my Model X.
Somewhere it was reported the round wheel is available as a retrofit for $700. The center horn is also allegedly there hardware-wise, but if so I don’t understand the hold-up for enabling it.

Edit: The retrofit is actually listed on Tesla's website
Sponsored

Last edited:

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
One thing I've noticed is that EA chargers tend to be out for no reason. There's a number on the side of each which - if called - can pop them back into service. Feels incredibly stupid when you're going from futuristic EV tech to calling in to a switchboard, but it is what it is.
EA chargers are terribly unreliable. This is going to kill them as more competition enters the market if they can't get a handle on it. Two road trips in my Lightning now and EA chargers are a constant problem. Often down, NFC/tap functionality not working so I have to call to get my account rate. Chargers often running at super slow speed. Seeing the internals of the latest EA 350kW chargers both in pictures and in person, all I have to say is the mount of last-century tech in there is absurd. It's a rats nest of a design... Any engineer involved in designing that should be embarrassed. Compared to the internals of a Tesla V3 supercharger or the new 350kW ChargePoint units, the EA hardware design and implementation is a complete joke. And their go-to response now when you call them about slow charge speeds, like 27kW when plugged into a 350kW charger, usually has them rebooting the charge station and when it still doesn't work, they blame it either on "the cold" or "the power company".

...It's not "the cold" when it's 45 degrees out and my truck has been doing 80 MPH since the last charge stop and is at 20% battery yet I'm only getting 27kW charge rate. Same with the irate guy next to me in the Ionic5, who is cursing his decision to buy an EV. It's not "the power company" when there's only myself and one other vehicle charging at a bank of 6 chargers backed by a massive transformer cabinet and I can't get more than 50kW... Tesla chargers a stone's throw away on an identical transformer setup are rockin'. It's not "the power company" when I'm only getting 27kW out of your 350kW charger and move over a stall to try a 150kW unit and get 120kW.

I actually have much better luck with their 150kW stations. I'm cutting myself a bit short on potential there, but at least I consistently get 100kW+ out of those units.

OP
OP
PeterSK

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

I've seen a few Rivians - almost all R1Ts - around Boston of late, and because we wanted to record a TikTok ad for our fundraising raffle, and I wanted to see some Rivians up close, on the afternoon of January 1 I drove to the Chelsea Service Center with my youngest. I had to promise her a Rivian t-shirt and bandana, and a pair of new Adidas, to get her on board with it, but she did a great job! There's no fence around the lot so I parked my X near an R1S, quickly filmed and left.

I didn't see an R1S in my chosen Forest Green, but seeing other colors in person has me wondering about other choices. E.g. the Launch Green in the video looked nicer than I expected, and the Limestone and Rivian Blue. Decisions, decisions...

Here's the video we went with. Please check out the raffle and buy a ticket if you can - we are way behind track. Thanks in advance!

She's had a lot of click-throughs and sold a couple of tickets so far, and we're planning on recording another TikTok this weekend. I guess we could go back to the Chelsea Service Center and pose in front of maybe an R1T this time, or R1S and R1T, but it would be nicer if she could be inside one - even the bed, frunk or gear tunnel! If there's anyone in the Boston area who would like their truck or SUV in a TikTok please let me know - thanks!

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
So, I appear to be getting closer to a Rivian. I just got all the emails about a guide and 8 steps to delivery, etc.

I am leaning towards keeping my MX Plaid, but want to hear from any other Tesla drivers out there who can comment on the driving experience of an R1 vs. a Tesla.

I drove a Denali XL as a daily driver for 18 months between selling my prior Model X an taking delivery on my current one. The R1T is shorter than the Denali, so I know I can handle it. But, how does it feel to drive? Does it have roll? Is it boxy?

If I know the new, round steering wheel retrofit and a center horn, I'd almost certainly keep the Model X. But, per a service advisor, it will not. Tesla has a tendency to not communicate to their employees, so he may very well be wrong. If he's not wrong, though, it would push me to consider getting out of my Model X.
There are after market retrofits for the round steering wheel.

The R1 drives great. Has a lot of power, you won't be lacking in that. It is definitely a bigger vehicle than the Model X though, but if you're used to a Denali then the R1 will feel smaller than that!

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
Polestar 3 looks super tempting… probably a closer match to an X, if you don’t care about off-road.

In any case, I love my Rivian and do care about off-road.

Sponsored

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

I've only test-driven an R1T...but my impression was that while I'd rather drive my old Model 3 or S, or even my current Y than the big ol' Rivian (I prefer small, sporty cars)...I would prefer to drive the R1T over my wife's Model X 100D.

Even my wife - who loves her X and HATES to have anything in her car change - admitted that she would likely be perfectly happy driving an R1T. She rarely wants me to switch her car out (35 years ago I sold her car and bought her a newer one of the same model with less damage, and she is still mad at me for that) but she is willing to let me get her an R1T.

OP
OP
PeterSK

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

A quick raffle update...

Got my daughter to help me make a new video for TikTok, during my First Drive last week.

Also sales have continued to pick up. We are now at 3625 tickets sold out of 5000, with exactly two weeks remaining. The raffle site sales "speedometer" shows current sales. So this is not looking to be a disaster at least, but it's still a long ways away from our usual sellout, which means odds are better than usual!

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla owner since 2013 feeling drawn into Rivian orbit... 1675902277309

Thanks all who have participated or shared about the raffle for your support.
Peter

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
OP
OP
PeterSK

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

Thanks for sharing the article - I hadn't seen it. Just to be clear, my interest in switching from my 2016 Model X to an R1S is primarily about more room for 3rd row passengers and bulkier cargo, plus a desire for something new. A new Model X would be pretty similar to what I've been driving for 7 years except with better range, suspension and autopilot sensors - and in my opinion a worse driving interface with the stalkless yoke, even with a steering wheel option.

I have mentioned on this site (not sure if it was this thread), that ticket sales of an annual fundraising raffle I run for Climate XChange, a nonprofit focused on improving state climate policy, were very slow this year. Soon we learned why - many past ticket buyers were no longer interested in winning a Tesla. So we added the R1S and R1T as non-Tesla Grand Prize options, and things have improved but we still have 1000+ tickets to sell in 9 days remaining. Business Insider published an article about it last month, which actually helped bump up our sales as people learned about the raffle: https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-raffle-struggles-sell-tickets-due-to-elon-musk-actions-2023-1

Overall I think Tesla not introducing new models (Cybertruck and Roadster delayed), and the existing models, though continually improved in many ways, looking the same, are also factors leading current Tesla owners and others to consider competitors' EVs - just as other EVs have become more competitive. It's a bad time for Musk to take his eye off the ball to focus on Twitter, and to do/say things that upset many current and potential customers.
Sponsored