Sponsored

The Ford F-150 Lightning Is the 2023 MotorTrend Truck of the Year

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The Ford F-150 Lightning Is the 2023 MotorTrend Truck of the Year

As much as vehicles like the Rivian R1T and GMC Hummer EV reimagine the pickup truck as an expression, they make less effort at appealing to longstanding truck buyers who may not necessarily see a need for a rethink when today's pickups are better than they've ever been. The Ford F-150 Lightning successfully bridges the gulf between the powertrain of the future and the pickup of today in a way no other EV truck on the market has accomplished.
Sponsored

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Having driven my sister's Lightning last fall, I was amazed at how well Ford did with this vehicle out of the gate. I wondered whether the Lightning would have been a rushed-to-market poorly considered attempt and it's not.

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Seems like Count Orlok is folding like a lawn chair.
I think you mean not unfolding like a Rivian tonneau...

As the owner of a R1S, I'd buy the R1T if it had the capabilities I need in a truck. B

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

LOL. Truck of the year because it is the same as ICE trucks that are already on the road without the ICE.. brilliant logic from our brilliant friends at MT.

Edit: They might as well have awarded it to the ICE F150 because it will sell more and that is what more truck buyers will be looking for based on this logic.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The Lightning is a good truck. There are things it can do an R1T canā€™t, and things an R1T can do that a Lightning canā€™t. Everyone should get the truck that serves them bestā€¦ except for a Cybertruck - thatā€™s just trash And serves no one.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Somewhat an R1T hit piece, perhaps funded indirectly by Ford advertising.
Rivian does not advertise. Ford does and MT rely on ad revenue to remain solvent. MT is putting out honey to attract bees.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

There are things it can do an R1T canā€™t, and things an R1T can do that a Lightning canā€™t.
You mean like send a text message because it has Apple CP.. šŸ˜

Sponsored

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I read it as MT felt the need to rationalize why the award did not go to the R1T. I'm just pleased to see it given to an EV truck regardless of the make. The more hype EVs get the better for us IMHO.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

LOL. Truck of the year because it is the same as ICE trucks that are already on the road without the ICE.. brilliant logic from our brilliant friends at MT.
"It says Ford on the front and uses the same doors Ford has used for nearly a decade"

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Having owned both a Lightning and now R1S, the Lightning does indeed deserve more credit than most Rivian owners care to give it. While we no longer own it, my 5ā€™0ā€ wife prefers it over the Rivian despite its large size. For her the seating position can be better (especially with the adjustable pedals), can turn off one pedal drive completely (she loathes it on any EV), and she preferred the cabin space and feel (Iā€™ll admit I miss the massaging seats our Platinum had). The drive is always super smooth, and while itā€™s not sporty, sheā€™s very much a speed limit driver that isnā€™t getting after it ever. Donā€™t get her started about trying to get into the Rivian at normal height with the ATs (I know aftermarket running boards are an option). Finally, real knobs and buttons speak to a number of people.

I prefer the R1S cabin, think it looks better, amd am incredibly happy with the Rivian infotainment despite the lack of CarPlay. I feel more at home driving a smaller vehicle, and if I had to pick one to keep (which I did), Iā€™d take the Rivian. But if my wife had her way, now having owned the R1S for nearly a month, sheā€™d have the Lightning hands down. Iā€™m tech forward, love one pedal driving, and donā€™t shy away from new ways of doing things. My wife, like many average drivers, know what they like, donā€™t want a lot of change, does not like OPD, and overall prefers a familiar feel with new tech. Thatā€™s the Lightning.

Thatā€™s my $.02 and Iā€™m sticking to it.
Sponsored