First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
I mean I think the Lightning looks like an awesome truck. I love my R1T and I chose it over the Lightning and the Silverado EV I had on reservation because it fits what I want to do with a truck more. My family likes to go camping, I like to fly fish, I need to occasionally haul or tow objects, etc. A Lightning is probably a better work truck. Its bigger on the inside (I think) which is great if you're driving with people and dogs. Its got an awesome frunk and onboard power, a better bed. A Lightning can be had for less than a Rivian, even if that gap IS closing. Ford also has a huge dealer network for repairs, and F150 parts outside of the EV drivetrain are the definition of commodity, so repairs and such should be easier and cheaper. Additionally, think of how incredible the aftermarket accessory scene is for the F150. If you're a contractor or have a very specific bed-mounted rack need or something, you're 100% going to have it available for an F150. There's not much out there for the Rivian yet. This is a big consideration for a lot of people who rely on their trucks for work or routine activities.

MT gave Rivian truck of the year last year. I dont think its a slight to the R1T that the Lightning won this year. If anything, I think its an endorsement of how great electrified trucks are.
Sponsored

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

LOL. Truck of the year because it is the same as ICE trucks that are already on the road without the ICE.. brilliant logic from our brilliant friends at MT.

Edit: They might as well have awarded it to the ICE F150 because it will sell more and that is what more truck buyers will be looking for based on this logic.
If we are honest about it the F150 will have a far larger impact on the transition to EVs by the general public than Rivian. The ICE version is the best selling truck in the nation and for many buying the same truck they have always bought but in a well designed EV version will start to make sense. Can’t disagree with MT even if I own an R1T…

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If we are honest about it the F150 will have a far larger impact on the transition to EVs by the general public than Rivian. The ICE version is the best selling truck in the nation and for many buying the same truck they have always bought but in a well designed EV version will start to make sense. Can’t disagree with MT even if I own an R1T…
Is encouraging EV adoption a criteria for winning MT truck of the year? I wouldn't think so but who knows.

To be clear I have no problem with the Lightning if it wasn't a Ford I might have considered it because of several factors that the R1T doesn't have namely, opening sunroof, flat folding back seat, lower load floor for the front trunk, larger payload, available aftermarket accessories, Apple CP. The size is a big downer for me but a lot of truck owners want the larger bed so that is a choice thing.

I just think the logic that they used to decide it was the truck of the year doesn't make sense.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I blame you if the CP mob shows up🧟‍♂️
I wish people would stop abbreviating it that way. It has... much different connotations for some folks.

Well, if MotorTrends awards the CymperTruck next year, at least Rivian and Ford owners will have a common enemy
Doesn't a vehicle have to actually exist to get those awards?

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Is encouraging EV adoption a criteria for winning MT truck of the year? I wouldn't think so but who knows.

To be clear I have no problem with the Lightning if it wasn't a Ford I might have considered it because of several factors that the R1T doesn't have namely, opening sunroof, flat folding back seat, lower load floor for the front trunk, larger payload, available aftermarket accessories, Apple CP. The size is a big downer for me but a lot of truck owners want the larger bed so that is a choice thing.

I just think the logic that they used to decide it was the truck of the year doesn't make sense
You are correct that they dont list that factor as part of their criteria (https://www.motortrend.com/news/motortrend-car-truck-suv-of-the-year-criteria-explained/). Either way in my mind successfully electrifying one of the worlds most popular trucks has to be a factor.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I wish people would stop abbreviating it that way. It has... much different connotations for some folks.
Enlighten me. I don’t want to make a fool of myself any more than usual.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Enlighten me. I don’t want to make a fool of myself any more than usual.
Adult content that involves humans that are not adults.

Sponsored

obababoy

First Name
Chilbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 LR Discovery, 2011 WRX/STI, 2021 Palisade
Occupation
Cyber
Clubs

The Rivian has more of what I want in driving characterists/ build quality / tech, but Rivian has definitely lost some of its umph when they kept removing features and quality materials, such as max pack quad, actual 180kwh battery, powered tonneau, drop down tailgate, 12v outlets, nicer trim in frunk
I also think the ford frunk is amazing, the power output in the bed is WAY better than what rivian can push and there is no major reason why Rivian didnt include higher wattage output and 220.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Well, if MotorTrends awards the CymperTruck next year, at least Rivian and Ford owners will have a common enemy
If Tesla does ship CyberToy in 2023 (unless it is a phenomonal POS) you can pretty much bet that MT will name it Truck of the Year. They've probably already decided that. ;)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I had never considered what the abbreviation for that might be, but I see your point. Thank you for saving me from additional embarrassment.

Now I’m wondering if typing out the entire word is also creepy, even though it was Apple’s name for it. It also could refer to people like this guy:
Definitely avoid saying "I wish my car had CP". You don't want to give people the wrong idea and think you're some kind of Apple fanboy.
Sponsored