NickTip

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Subaru Forester
PXL_20220906_203536355.jpg
9/6/22 : 4 months of trying my hardest to protect my vehicle from crazy south florida drivers and in my own driveway is where i end up getting hit. so let's find out how good the Rivian certified collision centers are.

update 9/7/22 : Spoke with State farm (other guys insurance, the at-fault guy) they were very pushy trying to get me to go to one of their collision centers, I said no way, I want a certified Rivian center. I ended up going to Collision Care Xpress, In Pompano Beach, FL. While i was there they were working on 2 other Rivians (this is the Collision center the Rivian Miami SC is using) people were nice and very friendly, told me about 2 weeks wait on the parts and 2-3 weeks repair time, They said more than likely entire driver side will be replaced, not sure from where to where this would be. They said Rivian will go over the photos and will advise on the repair.

update 9/12/22 : So i got the quote from the Collision center, They quoted the repair at $ 21,195.95 , I really dont know much about body work and repairs, but I want to hear peoples opinion on this. They are still awaiting to hear back from State Farm, I assume they negotiate on pricing and then they go from there.

stay tuned for further updates.
Wow! How much is the collision deductible? Will you have to pay anything out of pocket?
Sponsored

OP
OP
_evtrk

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

Wow! How much is the collision deductible? Will you have to pay anything out of pocket?
Going through other parties insurance, so no deductible, nothing out of pocket.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

my understanding is the work is easier but just as time consuming and there's no guarantee that it comes out perfect, so they rather replace panels when parts are aluminum, it also depends on the composition of the aluminum.
As someone who used to weld aluminum, it is a *PAIN* to work with. It has a very small temperature range between "workable" and "permanently deformed." (And a little more than that to "molten.")

I got great at making perfect welds, but it took a *LOT* of practice, and it's been so long now, there's no way I'd do a reasonable job of it now.

There's a reason I'm a sucker for titanium things now, and despise aluminum.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
$21K for that is absurd. Hello Rivian insurance rates skyrocketing..

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I disagree. By that logic someone could also say riding a bicycle is "exceptionally stupid" and a car driver shouldn't be liable for injury to the cyclist since any "reasonable person" would agree that a bicycle stands no change against an automobile in a collision.

That simply isn't how it works.
The difference between a reasonable person and an unreasonable one is very much driven by society and expectations.

Millions of people ride bicycles.
Very few people drive cars that would require $20,000 dent repair.

Insurance absolutely can fight something that's unreasonable, and unreasonable in this case would have to be determined by a court or arbitrator, not any of us. Someone could claim riding a bicycle is stupid but no court is going to agree with them.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The days of the automobiles and trucks with thick steel sheet metal are long gone.

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430
Clubs

This is going to effect the resale value of your truck. I would want additional compensation.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The difference between a reasonable person and an unreasonable one is very much driven by society and expectations.

Millions of people ride bicycles.
Very few people drive cars that would require $20,000 dent repair.

Insurance absolutely can fight something that's unreasonable, and unreasonable in this case would have to be determined by a court or arbitrator, not any of us. Someone could claim riding a bicycle is stupid but no court is going to agree with them.
It is my understanding that, legally, you generally must accept people “as they come”. If someone wants to drive a Rolls Royce and you dent it, then you are going to owe $$$. If you argue they could have driven a Toyota Corolla and that would be more reasonable/economical that doesn’t change that you’re responsible to fix what you damaged.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Well…no accidents or tickets for me…and insurance rates went up 20% for next 6 months…I’m sure the culprit is my TSX with 183,000 miles and only liability…that bastard. 🤣

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I've read a lot of mixed responses on the material used in this area of the vehicle all over forums, some say steel, some aluminum. I was told this panel is an aluminum alloy, which is probably why it has magnetic attraction, but i really dont know anything about this stuff.
Everyone is correct the metallic body panels of the Rivian are made of an alloy of aluminum, iron, and nickel. I did some quick research on this (around 18 months ago) found the supplier Rivian was using for the rolls of sheet stock and then found the description of the material that supplier was using for a new (unnamed) automotive company, the details all lined up that I was reasonably sure this was the case. Unfortunately I didn't save the links to the pages so I could site them as they were pretty interesting. The material seems to be more common in the aircraft industry. Long story short this is why the body panels are very light and have a weak magnetic attraction, they should also prove to be quite corrosion resistant. I don't know what it means for repairability but I assume it means they will be expensive and should be done at Rivian approved body shops.
On a side note I put a 2" scratch in my tailgate right down to the metal a few months ago and I ordered a paint pen (LG) from the Rivian shop which just showed up this week ($40bucks). The instructions for how to use it were comically simple so we will see how that goes this weekend.

rivianfan

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1994 Ford Bronco , 2016 Ford fusion hybrid
Occupation
retired
Is this your only vechicle is so will you be given a rental car for the over five months your car is in the shop. If this happens to my Rivian I have no other car.

OP
OP
_evtrk

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

Is this your only vechicle is so will you be given a rental car for the over five months your car is in the shop. If this happens to my Rivian I have no other car.
Yes, i will be given a rental, but the repair will take at most 2 weeks, the collision center has already done this repair on other rivians and thats the time it has taken to complete it, when i was there they had just completed the detailing on a another rivian that had the same exact repair as i will have.

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22” black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
This thread makes me infinitely more nervous to get a quote for my little bump…. In a very similar area except mine tapped the tailgate too

BCan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Everyone is correct the metallic body panels of the Rivian are made of an alloy of aluminum, iron, and nickel. I did some quick research on this (around 18 months ago) found the supplier Rivian was using for the rolls of sheet stock and then found the description of the material that supplier was using for a new (unnamed) automotive company, the details all lined up that I was reasonably sure this was the case. Unfortunately I didn't save the links to the pages so I could site them as they were pretty interesting. The material seems to be more common in the aircraft industry. Long story short this is why the body panels are very light and have a weak magnetic attraction, they should also prove to be quite corrosion resistant. I don't know what it means for repairability but I assume it means they will be expensive and should be done at Rivian approved body shops.
On a side note I put a 2" scratch in my tailgate right down to the metal a few months ago and I ordered a paint pen (LG) from the Rivian shop which just showed up this week ($40bucks). The instructions for how to use it were comically simple so we will see how that goes this weekend.
research youtube for a proper paint pen repair. You’ll be happier with the result if you use sandpaper, buffer, etc
Sponsored