Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (launch green, 22" dark); Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

I've now had my R1S (launch green, 22" black, BM) for exactly one month. In that time, I've driven about 2100 miles, most of which I accumulated on two road trips. The R1S is my first EV, so I wanted to share my thoughts and experience on the state of charging on long(ish) trips. At the risk of burying the lede, my view is that charging options are, at best, meh.

Trip 1: DC to Pittsburgh and Back

Four days after I took delivery, I loaded up to the family and drove the R1S to Pittsburgh to attend a family wedding. To prepare for our Friday departure, I charged the R1S to 85% on Wednesday using our Rivian Wall Charger. My wife drove the vehicle a bit on Thursday. I then charged the R1S to 100% overnight on Thursday night. On Friday morning, I punched my mom's Pittsburgh-area address into the Rivian map app. The car showed 311 miles of range (Conserve mode, hard regen), and the map showed a travel distance of 251 miles and a remaining charge of 60 miles upon arrival. I was skeptical that we would arrive at my mom's with 60 miles to spare.

Driving to Pittsburgh requires taking I-70 west to Breezewood, PA, where I-70 (briefly) ends; driving a half mile through Breezewood and entering the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which is I-70/I-76 west. I relay this information because all westbound traffic from the Baltimore/Washington area heading west toward Pittsburgh has to flow through this short stretch of Breezewood, as does all traffic heading from Pittsburgh and points west toward Baltimore/Washington. As you can imagine, there are many, many gas stations in Breezewood. And Tesla superchargers. There are two Tesla stations, one on the west-bound side of the half-mile stretch and one on the east-bound stretch. There are no non-Tesla DC fast chargers, however, which is mystifying. In fact, there is exactly one DC fast charging station between Hagerstown, MD, which is about 60 miles northwest of DC, and Harmarville, PA, which is about 5 miles outside of Pittsburgh. That's a stretch of about 175 miles.

We stopped at the one DC fast charging station between Hagerstown and Harmarville, which is an Electrify America station at a Sheetz in Bedford, PA. At that point, we were showing about 140 miles of range with about 110 miles left to drive. The problem, though, is that the max elevation rise on the trip is 2,200 feet and we were headed to a significant climb.

When we arrived at Sheetz, which had four chargers, one was occupied by a Ford transit van and another by an ID 4. One charger was unavailable. The other charger showed an error. I called EA and, after, 10 minutes, the charger was reset and ready to charge. I hooked the 350 kw charger up to the Rivian and got to an 80%+ state of charge in short order. The charge rate maxed out at about 174 kw and held there for several minutes. I was impressed with the speed. When we left, there were three EVs waiting to charge.

On Saturday, I needed to charge after driving to and around Pittsburgh on Friday evening and Saturday morning. I charged at an EVgo station in Harmarville. The 350 kw charger worked like a charm. It hit a charge rate of 186 kw and held there for several minutes.

On Sunday morning, I returned to the same EVgo station to charge for the return trip to DC. This time, neither of the newer 350 kw chargers worked, including the one that I had used the day before and EVgo couldn't get either to reset. I used one of the older charger models, which worked fine and held at about 130 kw. There was another launch green R1S from DC charging next to me. When I pulled out, and EQS pulled into charge.

We stopped at the Bedford EA station on the way back to DC. Three chargers were occupied, a fourth was still unavailable and there were four cars waiting to charge (lots of ID 4s on the PA turnpike). We decided to drive to Hagerstown and "topped up" at an EA station at a Walmart. No problems connecting to the 150 kw charger. There were four chargers and all were occupied (two Ioniq 5s and a Kia).

In summary, four charges over three days, two of which required a reset (and one of the resets didn't work); one charger remained unavailable over an entire weekend, and one station (Bedford) was packed.

Trip 2: DC to Raleigh, NC to Wilmington, NC to DC

Last Friday, I drove from DC to Raleigh. Once again, I charged to 100% before starting on the trip. The Rivian map told me to drive 191 miles to an EA station in Henderson, NC, about 45 miles outside of Raleigh, which I did. I plugged into a 350 kw charger, but the charge wouldn't initiate. I tried another 350 kw charger. Same issue. I switched to 150 kw charger, which worked fine. It actually charged at a 153 kw rate for an extended period of time.

I stayed at a hotel in Raleigh that had a number of level two chargers, so I topped up at the hotel. Destination chargers are really helpful and convenient.

After attending a youth soccer match, I had to drive to Wilmington, NC. I hadn't done any planning and learned that there were exactly zero DC fast chargers between Raleigh and Wilmington (and exactly zero DC fast chargers in Wilmington). I decided to charge in the Raleigh area at an EA station at a Walmart to get as much charge as possible. Once again, the R1S would not initiate a charge at a 350 kw charger, but did at a 150 kw charger.

I arrived in Wilmington with 125 miles of range remaining. I remembered seeing a level 2 charger at a hotel when I stayed there last year, so I drove to that hotel and found a free spot at a Charge Point charger. 6.6 kw. I set the Rivian at 100% charge and plugged it in overnight. The next morning and 14 hours later, it was fully charged.

One Sunday, I headed back to DC, a trip of about 365 miles from Wilmington. The Rivian map took me to an EA station in Emporia, VA (Walmart parking lot). When I arrived, three of the four slots were occupied by a Polestar 2, a Lucid and an F-150 Lightning, which was cool to see. I plugged into the open charger, which was 350 kw and, of course, the R1S refused to charge. The Lucid left a 150 kw slot after a few minutes, so I charged using that charger. First, though, I once again had to call EA to reset the charger. I then drove from Emporia (near the NC border) home to DC.

This is a long post, but the bottom line is that we need (1) more charging stations, (2) more chargers at the charging stations, (3) more level 2 destination chargers, preferably ones with a charging rate above 6.6 kw, and (4) better uptime for the chargers that we do have. I have no idea why the R1S had decided that it doesn't like 350 kw EA chargers. I note that the problem started after the latest software update.
Sponsored

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don’t think it is a case of the R1T not liking 350kw EA chargers. I think it is more of a case of the EA hardware being poorly made/maintained. I’ve successfully charged on EA 350kw chargers, but not frequently. Based on a recent thread, there’s not much time difference between using a 150kw and a 350kw charger, at least for a large fill-up, so my first choice will be a 150kw charger.

I do agree, there need to be a lot more chargers and they need to be better maintained. It does seem as if EA is working to replace older chargers so let’s hope that keeps up.

Right now, the current charging infrastructure requires some advanced planning. I’ve found PlugShare and ABRP to be invaluable in determining if chargers along my route are actually working.

OP
OP

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

Great post. Thanks for the info. How did your family react to all of the charging, stalling, waiting, etc?
They've been fine with the stopping. For the most part, we've tried to stop when we had something else to do. We wanted to eat at a restaurant near a charger in Pittsburgh, so we had lunch while the car charged.

For shorter trips, like the one to Pittsburgh, the key really is to not over charge. I only needed to add about 100 miles of range on the trip to Pittsburgh to ensure that I had enough charge to account for contingencies. The 350 kw charger, when it was at its max, was charging at a rate of 450 miles/hour. I should've charged for about 15 minutes; I charged for 20 or so, plus had the 10 minute call with EA.

OP
OP

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

I don’t think it is a case of the R1T not liking 350kw EA chargers. I think it is more of a case of the EA hardware being poorly made/maintained. I’ve successfully charged on EA 350kw chargers, but not frequently. Based on a recent thread, there’s not much time difference between using a 150kw and a 350kw charger, at least for a large fill-up, so my first choice will be a 150kw charger.

I do agree, there need to be a lot more chargers and they need to be better maintained. It does seem as if EA is working to replace older chargers so let’s hope that keeps up.

Right now, the current charging infrastructure requires some advanced planning. I’ve found PlugShare and ABRP to be invaluable in determining if chargers along my route are actually working.
Thanks for the tip on PlugShare and ABRP.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

For shorter trips, like the one to Pittsburgh, the key really is to not over charge. I only needed to add about 100 miles of range on the trip to Pittsburgh to ensure that I had enough charge to account for contingencies. The 350 kw charger, when it was at its max, was charging at a rate of 450 miles/hour. I should've charged for about 15 minutes; I charged for 20 or so, plus had the 10 minute call with EA.
It helps a lot with charger congestion too.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@Comstockery great info. Did EA waive the cost of charging for their stations that needed to be reset? I seem to remember the R1T's not connecting to 350KW chargers but working with the 150KW very early on possibly this issue is back. Maybe others will chime in if they are seeing the same thing recently. Do you sign in to plugshare and leave comments on your experiences with public chargers?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

As an aside, several reviewers and owners have shown that with the way the R1 charges there very little difference in charge time between a 150 and 350 kW charger. So you may as well just go for the 150 kW, that often can see 170 kW, and save the 350s for the Lucids and others that can charge well in to the 250+ kW realm.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
As an aside, several reviewers and owners have shown that with the way the R1 charges there very little difference in charge time between a 150 and 350 kW charger. So you may as well just go for the 150 kW, that often can see 170 kW, and save the 350s for the Lucids and others that can charge well in to the 250+ kW realm.
Probably a dumb question, but is there a quick visual way to determine 150 vs 350 on an EA charger from a distance?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

@Comstockery great info. Did EA waive the cost of charging for their stations that needed to be reset? I seem to remember the R1T's not connecting to 350KW chargers but working with the 150KW very early on possibly this issue is back. Maybe others will chime in if they are seeing the same thing recently. Do you sign in to plugshare and leave comments on your experiences with public chargers?
EA did not waive the charge the first time it happened. Interestingly, though, three of my five EA charging sessions have be complimentary. When I called EA this past Sunday to reset the charger, the EA rep told me that all sessions at the station were complimentary that day. ChargePoint also gave me a complimentary session this past weekend. I drove over 800 miles to NC and around NC, then back to DC last weekend. I paid for one charging session, which was about $20.

OP
OP

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

Probably a dumb question, but is there a quick visual way to determine 150 vs 350 on an EA charger from a distance?
There are stickers on the front of the chargers indicating the charge rate. They're really not visible from a distance, though.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I've now had my R1S (launch green, 22" black, BM) for exactly one month. In that time, I've driven about 2100 miles, most of which I accumulated on two road trips. The R1S is my first EV, so I wanted to share my thoughts and experience on the state of charging on long(ish) trips. At the risk of burying the lede, my view is that charging options are, at best, meh.

Four days after I took delivery, I loaded up to the family and drove the R1S to Pittsburgh to attend a family wedding. To prepare for our Friday departure, I charged the R1S to 85% on Wednesday using our Rivian Wall Charger. My wife drove the vehicle a bit on Thursday. I then charged the R1S to 100% overnight on Thursday night. On Friday morning, I punched my mom's Pittsburgh-area address into the Rivian map app. The car showed 311 miles of range (Conserve mode, hard regen), and the map showed a travel distance of 251 miles and a remaining charge of 60 miles upon arrival. I was skeptical that we would arrive at my mom's with 60 miles to spare.

Driving to Pittsburgh requires taking I-70 west to Breezewood, PA, where I-70 (briefly) ends; driving a half mile through Breezewood and entering the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which is I-70/I-76 west. I relay this information because all westbound traffic from the Baltimore/Washington area heading west toward Pittsburgh has to flow through this short stretch of Breezewood, as does all traffic heading from Pittsburgh and points west toward Baltimore/Washington. As you can imagine, there are many, many gas stations in Breezewood. And Tesla superchargers. There are two Tesla stations, one on the west-bound side of the half-mile stretch and one on the east-bound stretch. There are no non-Tesla DC fast chargers, however, which is mystifying. In fact, there is exactly one DC fast charging station between Hagerstown, MD, which is about 60 miles northwest of DC, and Harmarville, PA, which is about 5 miles outside of Pittsburgh. That's a stretch of about 175 miles.

We stopped at the one DC fast charging station between Hagerstown and Harmarville, which is an Electrify America station at a Sheetz in Bedford, PA. At that point, we were showing about 140 miles of range with about 110 miles left to drive. The problem, though, is that the max elevation rise on the trip is 2,200 feet and we were headed to a significant climb.

When we arrived at Sheetz, which had four chargers, one was occupied by a Ford transit van and another by an ID 4. One charger was unavailable. The other charger showed an error. I called EA and, after, 10 minutes, the charger was reset and ready to charge. I hooked the 350 kw charger up to the Rivian and got to an 80%+ state of charge in short order. The charge rate maxed out at about 174 kw and held there for several minutes. I was impressed with the speed. When we left, there were three EVs waiting to charge.

On Saturday, I needed to charge after driving to and around Pittsburgh on Friday evening and Saturday morning. I charged at an EVgo station in Harmarville. The 350 kw charger worked like a charm. It hit a charge rate of 186 kw and held there for several minutes.

On Sunday morning, I returned to the same EVgo station to charge for the return trip to DC. This time, neither of the newer 350 kw chargers worked, including the one that I had used the day before and EVgo couldn't get either to reset. I used one of the older charger models, which worked fine and held at about 130 kw. There was another launch green R1S from DC charging next to me. When I pulled out, and EQS pulled into charge.

We stopped at the Bedford EA station on the way back to DC. Three chargers were occupied, a fourth was still unavailable and there were four cars waiting to charge (lots of ID 4s on the PA turnpike). We decided to drive to Hagerstown and "topped up" at an EA station at a Walmart. No problems connecting to the 150 kw charger. There were four chargers and all were occupied (two Ioniq 5s and a Kia).

In summary, four charges over three days, two of which required a reset (and one of the resets didn't work); one charger remained unavailable over an entire weekend, and one station (Bedford) was packed.

Last Friday, I drove from DC to Raleigh. Once again, I charged to 100% before starting on the trip. The Rivian map told me to drive 191 miles to an EA station in Henderson, NC, about 45 miles outside of Raleigh, which I did. I plugged into a 350 kw charger, but the charge wouldn't initiate. I tried another 350 kw charger. Same issue. I switched to 150 kw charger, which worked fine. It actually charged at a 153 kw rate for an extended period of time.

I stayed at a hotel in Raleigh that had a number of level two chargers, so I topped up at the hotel. Destination chargers are really helpful and convenient.

After attending a youth soccer match, I had to drive to Wilmington, NC. I hadn't done any planning and learned that there were exactly zero DC fast chargers between Raleigh and Wilmington (and exactly zero DC fast chargers in Wilmington). I decided to charge in the Raleigh area at an EA station at a Walmart to get as much charge as possible. Once again, the R1S would not initiate a charge at a 350 kw charger, but did at a 150 kw charger.

I arrived in Wilmington with 125 miles of range remaining. I remembered seeing a level 2 charger at a hotel when I stayed there last year, so I drove to that hotel and found a free spot at a Charge Point charger. 6.6 kw. I set the Rivian at 100% charge and plugged it in overnight. The next morning and 14 hours later, it was fully charged.

One Sunday, I headed back to DC, a trip of about 365 miles from Wilmington. The Rivian map took me to an EA station in Emporia, VA (Walmart parking lot). When I arrived, three of the four slots were occupied by a Polestar 2, a Lucid and an F-150 Lightning, which was cool to see. I plugged into the open charger, which was 350 kw and, of course, the R1S refused to charge. The Lucid left a 150 kw slot after a few minutes, so I charged using that charger. First, though, I once again had to call EA to reset the charger. I then drove from Emporia (near the NC border) home to DC.

This is a long post, but the bottom line is that we need (1) more charging stations, (2) more chargers at the charging stations, (3) more level 2 destination chargers, preferably ones with a charging rate above 6.6 kw, and (4) better uptime for the chargers that we do have. I have no idea why the R1S had decided that it doesn't like 350 kw EA chargers. I note that the problem started after the latest software update.
Doing pretty well for a newbie.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

There's an issue with the 350 kw chargers delivering too much power to the Rivian. Who's fault it is?, we don't know for sure.

350 kw chargers start off faster, but overheat the battery, then the rate of charge declines pretty significantly as the battery has to cool itself. With the 150 kw chargers, it doesn't charge as fast to start, but holds a higher rate throughout a 10-80% charge. As others have stated, the end result on that type of charge ends up being pretty close to the same amount of time.

The 350 kw chargers have caused errors on some trucks (including my own). I've stopped using them for now. I guess if you only need to add about 20-30% to your battery, then the 350 kw charger, if you can get it to work, would be faster than a 150 kw charger. For more than 50-60% of charge added, the 150 kw is the more reliable option.

The 150 kw charger will hold closer to 150 kw longer. The 350 kw will peak out just over 200 kw, but that only lasts for a few minutes, then it drops down to under 170 kw. Once the battery gets too hot, then it drops down well below 100 kw, while the 150 kw charger is still holding over 100 kw well beyond 50%.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

There's an issue with the 350 kw chargers delivering too much power to the Rivian. Who's fault it is?, we don't know for sure.

350 kw chargers start off faster, but overheat the battery, then the rate of charge declines pretty significantly. With the 150 kw chargers, it doesn't charge as fast to start, but holds a higher rate throughout a 10-80% charge. As others have stated, the end result on that type of charge ends up being pretty close to the same amount of time.

The 350 kw chargers have caused errors on some trucks (including my own). I've stopped using them for now. I guess if you only need to add about 20-30% to your battery, then the 350 kw charger, if you can get it to work, would be faster than a 150 kw charger. For more than 50-60% of charge added, the 150 kw is the more reliable option.
Thank you.
Sponsored