Sponsored

Thread for the grizzled. Who had NOT changed their configuration yet?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I fall into the grizzled category. I was very annoyed with Rivian for their decision the other day. I was just waiting before I either downgraded or cancelled my order like so many others. I thought Rivian might offer *something* after the backlash but did not expect them to go as far as they did. I had the luxury of time since I would not have gotten my truck until late in 2023 anyway so I figured there was no reason to change anything yet.

For those who kept their order as it was on 2/28, why did you stick with it? Did you still see it as a great value even at the higher price? Did you feel there would be no other vehicle that could complete with the R1 anytime soon? Or like me are you just someone who will wait to make decisions whenever possible?
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I was going to rug-pull them back. Take delivery, drive it, then return it. If they changed the return policy before delivery I would just cancel at the very last minute. Didn't change my config at all but had no intention of keeping the truck at that price.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I was going to rug-pull them back. Take delivery, drive it, then return it. If they changed the return policy before delivery I would just cancel at the very last minute. Didn't change my config at all but had no intention of keeping the truck at that price.
I love the spite in your plan! :giggle:

I could never afford my original configuration at the new price, so I was just trying to decide if I wanted to pay $6000 more for a downgraded truck or cancel.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The only change I made was adding the tonneau cover back, since it got dropped when it was made an option with increased price. Figured I'd sit on my preorder and see what happened. But I was seriously considering the Hummer EV since it was the only other BEV that was off-road capable.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I adjusted my configuration to add the tonneau cover back, but I kept mine because I wasn't going to make my final decision until it was time for my delivery.

Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The only change I made was adding the tonneau cover back, since it got dropped when it was made an option with increased price. Figured I'd sit on my preorder and see what happened. But I was seriously considering the Hummer EV since it was the only other BEV that was off-road capable.
For 48 hours the price on that Hummer seemed more reasonable. All the threads on what vehicles people would buy instead of their Rivian was a little sad.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
[EDIT: I added the underbody armor back on, basically just made the new config match my old config. I don't count that as a change.]

I made no changes. My personal valuation of the R1T the way I have it configured, if it performs as promised, was higher than the 104k my build came in at after the price increase, so I was still comfortable paying.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I adjusted my configuration to add the tonneau cover back, but I kept mine because I wasn't going to make my final decision until it was time for my delivery.
Was your delivery scheduled soon?

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
For those who kept their order as it was on 2/28, why did you stick with it? Did you still see it as a great value even at the higher price? Did you feel there would be no other vehicle that could complete with the R1 anytime soon? Or like me are you just someone who will wait to make decisions whenever possible?
Option not listed: holding out hope, no matter how slim, that decision would be reversed combined with fear that those who cancelled would not be let back in. Also wanted to at least get at least a test drive in return for my deposit before cancelling.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I removed kitchen and added tonneau, hopefully they'll still give original pricing and let us make our order as was

Sponsored

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
[EDIT: I added the underbody armor back on, basically just made the new config match my old config. I don't count that as a change.]

I made no changes. My personal valuation of the R1T the way I have it configured, if it performs as promised, was higher than the 104k my build came in at after the price increase, so I was still comfortable paying.
You are hardcore my friend. I agree the new pricing was not out of line for what the vehicle promises - it just simply priced me out as it was configured, and even the downgraded version I created with the new configurator would have been a stretch…

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Was your delivery scheduled soon?
It was not. I'm not scheduled until later this year, which would have given me plenty of time to think over what I wanted to do and see if anything more compelling was coming down the pipeline.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I typically don't make rash decisions on large purchases and I'm still months away from taking delivery so there wasn't really any option for me but to wait and see what happens. Regardless of price, I always knew something could change and I didn't need to make a decision until they actually build me a truck.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Option not listed: holding out hope, no matter how slim, that decision would be reversed combined with fear that those who cancelled would not be let back in. Also wanted to at least get at least a test drive in return for my deposit before cancelling.
Very optimistic of you! I am glad you turned out to be right.

OP
OP
COdogman

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I removed kitchen and added tonneau, hopefully they'll still give original pricing and let us make our order as was
That is the impression I got from the email, but who knows. You deserve that kitchen!
Sponsored