Sponsored

Three Road Trips coming up / DIY Protection Wrap for $40!

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I fully get the need for the clear protection film. Personally however, have just never been a fan of it. (dirty edges with visible lines, they start peeling at the edges, etc) But absolutely see where it is necessary in many use cases. For me though, spending $3,500 or $4,500 to clear wrap the truck is just too much. At the same time, I get the labor of it as well. I've tried doing it on my own and it's a royal pain in the rear. The one's who do it professionally, know what they're doing. I can do flat surfaces, no problem, but adding in curves and that's where I suck at it!! If they actually wrapped it around the edges of the doors/fenders/etc, and you couldn't see the edges, would certainly be more appealing, but appears that most cut the film rather than wrap it all the way around so the edge is out of sight.

But, considering I have three separate road trips coming up, starting tomorrow, through three different deserts, I chose to buy a roll of clear protection film on Amazon for $40 and half-assed it on the front portions of the truck, simply for the actual protection. Being that I don't usually road trip very often, I usually don't have a need for it. My front ends have stayed pretty clean on the routes I regularly travel.

I spent about an hour putting it on the flat surfaces in the front, the headlights, front part of the hood and mirror caps. Will remove it all in 4 weeks when my trips are done. For $40, instead of $4,500, and an hour of my time, it will at least offer the protection from common bugs and road debris on desert trips. It didn't come out as bad as I thought it would. I cut it up more than the pro's would do as they're good at laying single large pieces around curves. I tried one curve and there was no way. So, just made smaller pieces, much easier to put on. Only ended up with a couple of creases around the bottom of the mirrors. Have to lean down to see them. It passes the "5 foot test". Looks great from 5 feet away. I did the chrome delete on my Tesla after being quoted $1,800. Again, I get the labor of it. But, did it myself for $50 in vinyl. Wasn't the greatest job, but looked great from 5 feet away!!

I did also add one piece that I will probably leave in place on the rear tailgate. For whatever reason, Rivian chose not to put a handle on the tailgate and I always cringe when I have to close the tailgate with my hand on the dirty / gritty paint surface. Fortunately, it's a nice straight area that was pretty easy to apply the protection film to. Now, I won't feel so bad when I close the tailgate, knowing that I'm not scratching up the paint. Feel the same way about the gear tunnel doors, but at least Rivian already puts clear protection film on those from the factory. They should have done the same on the tailgate too. Although, after just 3 months with the truck, can already see the dirty edges of the "clear" protection film on the gear tunnel doors. Hence supporting my reason for not being a fan of it.

On a separate note:.......
After my last road trip on the 20" all-terrain tires, which really impressed me as to how well the Rivian did in terms of actually going as far as the range estimate it said it would, I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it does now with the 21" road wheels / tires on it. The second of my three trips will be the same path to Vegas as my last trip there with the 20's, so will get a direct comparison. Tomorrow, heading up north. The last trip will be to Arizona. So, three different deserts for the front end to survive!

Rivian R1T R1S Three Road Trips coming up / DIY Protection Wrap for $40! 1664506430479
Sponsored

Last edited:

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I want to know how you changed from 20" wheels to 21" wheels.
On a separate note:.......
After my last road trip on the 20" all-terrain tires, which really impressed me as to how well the Rivian did in terms of actually going as far as the range estimate it said it would, I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it does now with the 21" road wheels / tires on it. The second of my three trips will be the same path to Vegas as my last trip there with the 20's, so will get a direct comparison. Tomorrow, heading up north. The last trip will be to Arizona. So, three different deserts for the front end to survive!
I don't see any wrap, so you did good.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Yeah, it looks decent, well worth the time and $$ cost.

I have professionally installed PPF on my other vehicles. A good installer will wrap all edges and you won't see any seams unless you get a partial front application, where you typically see a seam across the hood. Both cars have 5+ years on the application and still look great.

For my R1T, I'm doing some TWAPS pre-cut on the front. I may do some other areas if it turns out o.k. My guess is a full coverage is 5-7K. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yeah, it looks decent, well worth the time and $$ cost.

I have professionally installed PPF on my other vehicles. A good installer will wrap all edges and you won't see any seams unless you get a partial front application, where you typically see a seam across the hood. Both cars have 5+ years on the application and still look great.

For my R1T, I'm doing some TWAPS pre-cut on the front. I may do some other areas if it turns out o.k. My guess is a full coverage is 5-7K. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.
Sounds like we're of a similar opinion. Certain things have their value. That much money and the truck basically looks the same just doesn't do it for me. I'm one that hates having to do repairs, be it on cars or homes or whatever. They're just to fix what you already have. Of course, we don't always have a choice and have to make them when necessary. But, generally, when I spend money, I want to see something for it. The clear wrap doesn't do it. I get protecting the paint and all, but for that kind of money, you can do a pretty nice paint job. And, unlikely you'll chip up the whole truck, so likely for a lot less, you could spot paint just the areas that got damaged, if they do and for a lot less money. For those that do a lot of long distance high speed highway travel, I can see the protecting the front end having value. But, for $40, I got the same protection that others are spending around $2,000 for. Yes, for a few extra dollars, the precut pieces from Twraps would be nice if you plan on putting it on for long term use.

As noted, I plan to remove it after my third trip. Will reapply if I take another trip some time next year. I will say, I was in a rush to do the last mirror on the driver's side and boy did I F*#! that one up! LOL. Looks like crap! I'll probably redo that one next week when I get back, before the second trip. But, at least it will still serve its purpose for this trip. I'll just be sure to approach the truck from the rear!! LOL. So I don't have to look at it. I tried to do a single piece on it. Too many curves. Ended up with a bunch of creases. Should have done the smaller pieces like I did on the other mirror.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I think it would be hilarious if you hadn’t done any wrap, but were just messing with us.

In all seriousness, you did good work. I can’t see it at all. Which parts are wrapped?

Also, this is known as the “Good Enough For These People” phenomenon in our house. A good friend is a contractor, and uses that mantra when wrapping up a job that’s inevitably Good Enough to not be noticed or cared about.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I think it would be hilarious if you hadn’t done any wrap, but were just messing with us.

In all seriousness, you did good work. I can’t see it at all. Which parts are wrapped?

Also, this is known as the “Good Enough For These People” phenomenon in our house. A good friend is a contractor, and uses that mantra when wrapping up a job that’s inevitably Good Enough to not be noticed or cared about.
Per the Original Post, did the front "grille" section (white section between the headlights), both headlights, around to the charger door on the right side (when facing the truck), a similar distance on the left side of the left headlight (when facing the truck). The lower, more vertical part of the hood and both mirror caps. Pretty much all the forward facing areas that are most susceptible to getting hit while charging down the road at 75 mph+. I did not do the light bar itself, nor the lower bumper.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
What width did you get? Looking at Amazon and there are so many different options. Was also looking at "Track Armour" PPF film on Amazon which is made for temporary use. Pretty cool.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

What width did you get? Looking at Amazon and there are so many different options. Was also looking at "Track Armour" PPF film on Amazon which is made for temporary use. Pretty cool.
I'm on the road this weekend, but here's the link to the film that I ordered on Amazon.....Hopefully it says it in the listing somewhere. I can look more closely at it when I get home Sunday, or check the packaging if it's not in the listing.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9D77XG?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Sponsored