Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

Curious about those folks who've decided to purchase from the R1 shop rather than wait for their build - what's the typical timeline? I know the website says 6-8 weeks, is that about right?
Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
For me it was exactly 1 week between making a selection and delivery, assuming all goes well tomorrow.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It used to be 6-8 weeks, but lately there have been more than one person who chose from the shop and received a call to take delivery within 48 hours! I wouldn’t bank on that, but it’s been happening the last few weeks.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
For me, I chose a vehicle in the Shop on Tuesday...Truck in my driveway on Friday. It can happen very fast...buckle up!

OP
OP
mmiles2012

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks gang. Good to know. Still trying to get to some events locally and even swing by the SC to see some colors in person as I haven't had a lot of chances to do so.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I hope these aren't reject vehicles. I decided to purchase one, now I'm rethinking it.
There's little difference between a vehicle that had rework done to it and one that didn't. The little difference is that the rework vehicle is going to be scrutinized much more.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
I hope these aren't reject vehicles. I decided to purchase one, now I'm rethinking it.
Some may very well be but perhaps not in the way you think. Pre-orders get cancelled for various reasons, a lot having nothing to do with the vehicle itself. Someone may have spec'd the vehicle out and had to pull out for whatever reason - Rivian made the vehicle and still has to sell it.

On the other hand, there may have been an attempt to deliver a vehicle and a customer decided "no, this panel gap exceeds my high standards. I am not taking delivery of this" - in that case, Rivian would likely sell them a different vehicle, address the original one, then sell it on the shop.

In all cases, every vehicle sold is covered by Rivian to the exact same degree. None of these are used vehicles, as Rivian would not be able to resell them as unused at that point.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Seems like they are just delivering trucks to SC's that arent attached to an order holder and are placing them in the shop. So those who have a pick up option within a day or two of picking the truck from the shop makes more sense. Pretty crazy and nice, the typical 6-8 week wait can be painful.

OP
OP
mmiles2012

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Some may very well be but perhaps not in the way you think. Pre-orders get cancelled for various reasons, a lot having nothing to do with the vehicle itself. Someone may have spec'd the vehicle out and had to pull out for whatever reason - Rivian made the vehicle and still has to sell it.

On the other hand, there may have been an attempt to deliver a vehicle and a customer decided "no, this panel gap exceeds my high standards. I am not taking delivery of this" - in that case, Rivian would likely sell them a different vehicle, address the original one, then sell it on the shop.

In all cases, every vehicle sold is covered by Rivian to the exact same degree. None of these are used vehicles, as Rivian would not be able to resell them as unused at that point.
Seems like they are just delivering trucks to SC's that arent attached to an order holder and are placing them in the shop. So those who have a pick up option within a day or two of picking the truck from the shop makes more sense. Pretty crazy and nice, the typical 6-8 week wait can be painful.

My experience says both of these things are true. In fact, rework happens a lot more often than you think at the plant - vehicles go through final QA and get all sorts of little tweaks and adjustments. I'd hope if they had it at an SC and a customer said a panel gap is too big they'd attempt to re-fit the panel before putting it back on the shop, but regardless.

Key point here - "new" actually means "registered under the MSO and issued a vehicle title" where "used" means selling a vehicle that's already titled. Mileage actually doesn't factor into it. In some states a certain number of miles of demo service requires it to be titled, but from memory that's somewhere around 500 miles.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

There's little difference between a vehicle that had rework done to it and one that didn't. The little difference is that the rework vehicle is going to be scrutinized much more.
Good difference

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Waiting 4 yrs is painful....6 weeks is only a short adventure

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I got an email that my truck was available to be picked up within hours of selecting from the shop (earlier this week). But today I got an email from my guide that it's actually still on a train. Good thing I didn't travel 100 miles to the SC expecting to see it on the lot. 😢
Sponsored