kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I've been in April when it is very quiet but never December. I imagine it is pretty cold? April is cold but not freezing.
Around here you know how it goes, we have had 70F December days and a Foot of Snow at the end of March/April lol.

We typically just plan a day ahead and check it out.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Around here you know how it goes, we have had 70F December days and a Foot of Snow at the end of March/April lol.

I used to live in New England. Our firm plans always started with the phrase “Next good weekend…”

OP
OP

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
Follow-up questions:
  • I've never seen Assateague so empty (at least this time of year). Do you mind telling us what day of the week/time of day you were there?
  • I also didn't know that cars were allowed on the beach - was this a specific section that you were allowed to drive onto?
  • How were the horse flies?

Update: I answered my own questions here: https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/osv.htm

Been to Assateague many times but never even realized they had an OSV route/area!
There is a 145 vehicle limit for Over Sand Vehicle at a time. Makes for a pleasant beach experience.

The only way my wife will go to the beach is by going OSV.

We had enough breeze at the waters edge to keep them away but wandering into the dunes was brutal.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Obvious question: Where do you charge? PlugShare shows nothing between Ocean City and Chincoteague.

Last edited:

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Got a chance to take the R1T on the beach. The drive out was uneventful but managed to dig myself into the SOFT sand leaving. Shovels and a pull from a friendly Ram driver got us going again. The problem is that it’s easy to spin the tires without realizing it, even in “Sand” mode. Before you know it you’re buried all the way to the battery. The other problem is that traction control can also keep you from getting enough momentum to get going in really soft sand.

Anyway, had a good time at the beach with a couple of my grandsons and got to chat to a park ranger who said that his brother just got his R1T.
This is actually hugely good info for me personally, we go there once/year and I had 2nd thoughts about taking the R1T out on the sand for exactly this reason. Glad you were able to get some help getting it out!

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Going to the beach is exactly my first wish-case ™ for the R1T so I very much appreciate your report.
+1
Other than towing our boat, my R1T will be pulling beach duty at Fire Island. Considering the sheer unladen weight of the R1T, relatively no-float/narrow tires (compared to beach crawler 4X4 vehicles) and the high recommend tire pressure it just seems like a perfect setup for getting stuck in fine/soft sand.
Good to know airing down does the trick!

Last edited:

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
The problem is that it’s easy to spin the tires without realizing it, even in “Sand” mode. Before you know it you’re buried all the way to the battery. The other problem is that traction control can also keep you from getting enough momentum to get going in really soft sand.

C334787D-124B-4EBB-A704-046B14B4EB74.jpeg
C334787D-124B-4EBB-A704-046B14B4EB74.jpeg
E95A5A1F-F921-421F-B664-61BC118D1BF7.jpeg
A72E5ED9-BE6F-4D98-B977-80BCD7DE680E.jpeg
The other other problem is the weight of the R1T!

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
It appears that you had a lesson learned about airing down your tires but maybe made some friends in the process? Looks like 20 PSI is the winning number and I"ll mark that for future reference.
It's a bummer that you can't use the on-board compressor to set a low number, like 20 psi, and have the system drop the pressure to that number.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It's a bummer that you can't use the on-board compressor to set a low number, like 20 psi, and have the system drop the pressure to that number.
just get an inflator for the compressor, with a good gauge on it and a bleed button.

or some staun deflators

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Fair point and
Obvious question: Where do you charge? PlugShare shows nothing between Ocean City and Chincoteague.
You can charge in Ocean City (there is a municipal lot that has both Level 2 and Level 3 chargers). We take day trips to Assateague from OC. Out of season, the hotels there are very reasonable.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
you can charge in Ocean City...
The question was prompted by my recall of a thread here from years back in which the OP was talking about how he planned to drive along the beach from Assateague to Chincoteague. A little research showed he probably wouldn't be able to do that even in the Max unless the sand was packed very hard. Just wondering if the picture had changed any in the ensuing years.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

The question was prompted by my recall of a thread here from years back in which the OP was talking about how he planned to drive along the beach from Assateague to Chincoteague. A little research showed he probably wouldn't be able to do that even in the Max unless the sand was packed very hard. Just wondering if the picture had changed any in the ensuing years.
I am not aware of charging options between Assateague to Chincoteague, but I haven't been out towards Chincoteague in at least 2 years.