Sponsored

Trade in F-150 for R1T ?

Trucks101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford f150
Good morning.

In the past couple months I purchased a Ford F150 replacing a Toyota Tacoma.

The Ford is very nice but is a bit big on the road and parking.

Part of the reason I went to the F150 is that I have 3 kids and the Tacoma was starting to get a bit tight.

Is the Rivian R1T large enough in the back seat for 3 kids comfortably?

I have not driven a Rivian but had always wanted one, however the price was a bit higher than my budget.

I am thinking about potentially trading in my F150 Tremor for a R1T but wanted to get some feedback.
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
2 adults, an adult-sized and aged kid (20) and another smaller one (10) plus a Really Long Dog. No problem.

If you want maximum space, get a full-sized truck. My Tundra was cavernous compared to my R1T. If I had another kid … I’d still have my R1T and get a minivan for long-haul transport.

Last edited:

sd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-250, Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning, Rivian R1T
Clubs

Good morning.

Part of the reason I went to the F150 is that I have 3 kids and the Tacoma was starting to get a bit tight.

I have not driven a Rivian but had always wanted one, however the price was a bit higher than my budget.

I am thinking about potentially trading in my F150 Tremor for a R1T but wanted to get some feedback.
It's a matter of perspective. Coming from a Tacoma the R1T will look bigger, but from an F150 it's a different story.

I have an F150 Lightning, and when I got the R1T the first thing I noticed about its interior was how small it looked.

I'd say the passenger space in the R1T is similar to most 5 and 7 passenger SUVs - so pretty good. The current gen F150's are in a different class - they're cavernous inside from the point of view of all passengers. The F150's have way more leg and shoulder room.

In the Lightning I had a 6' passenger in the front seat and 6'4" passenger in the seat right behind them, and everyone had plenty of room to stretch out.

In the R1T I had 3 skinny 5'5" passengers in the back seat and they were sitting shoulder to shoulder. Fairly comfortable, but probably not for a long trip.

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
+1. Not if you want them back there for long trips. Not a huge interior to a full sized truck, but big if you compare the footprint of the truck.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
2 adults, an adult-sized and aged kid (20) and another smaller one (10) plus a Really Long Dog. No problem.

If you want maximum space, get a full-sized truck. My Tundra was cavernous compared to my R1T. If I had another kid … I’d still have my R1T and get a minivan for long-haul transport.
Ok I have to ask about this ”really long dog” now…

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Good morning.

As others have said, you are the only one who can say whether the R1T will have enough space for you. But since you have tried both a Tacoma and an F-150 you can imagine the T is somewhere in between. I drive a Tacoma and it’s plenty of space for me, but I’m single and 90% of the time I’m the only occupant. When I drove the T I was like WOW, it’s so big inside! Others switching from full sized trucks have had the opposite reaction. I think most could make it work, bit only you know if it works for your family.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Half dog, half giraffe, all derp.

A6D4A989-82B3-4CDD-9079-91E0A08EBB8A.jpeg
As advertised, sir!

In my head I was thinking Basset hound long, but you threw a curve ball at me. Derpy dogs are the best dogs!

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Good morning.

I've got a F-150 Lightning and an R1T. With 3 kids, I'd stick with the Ford. Even with 2 younger ones in car seats, the Ford is much more comfortable and does a better job at handling various snack cups, bags, etc.

Not that it's not doable or even terrible, but hauling a family is significantly easier in the Ford.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
As advertised, sir!

In my head I was thinking Basset hound long, but you threw a curve ball at me. Derpy dogs are the best dogs!
He’s the bestest.

Family: “Sometimes I think you love the dog more than us!”
Dad: “ … “
Sponsored