Tried RAN for the first time -- could not charge

tjmsquared

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Macan
This weekend I was excited to get my first RAN charge at the Waynesboro RAN charger in Virginia. The bottom line is that after trying four different chargers, I could not charge. Here's what happened:

1. I noticed all the way there that it said 5 of the 6 were available, but all six were free. I'm not sure if the availability count anomaly had anything to do with my issues, but thought I'd mention it.

2. The first charger I tried got stuck on "Starting" the charge for 10 minutes before I gave up. I then went to two different chargers and got the "Unable to Charge; Disconnect and try again" error.

3. I finally tried the pull through charger and got the same unable to charge message. I called Rivian roadside and they had me reset the truck (hard reset). After that didn't work, they rebooted the charger and that didn't work either (endless "Starting" message again).
After all of those failed attempts, I went up the road a few miles to charge at an EA charger. EA worked just fine so I'm pretty sure my problems had nothing to do with my truck.

Has anyone else had a similar RAN experience? Is there any other troubleshooting that I could have done? The long "Starting" messages make me think it was having trouble authenticating the charge. Could this be an issue with my truck or Rivian account?

As a final note, the Rivian roadside assistance guy was great. He could not get me a charge, but was helpful walking me through the process and seemed really concerned about getting me back on the road. He had me call him back at the EA station to make sure I was back on the road okay.
Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

That's rough. I see you posted to Plugshare already, too bad there were some more recent posts on there to see if it was just you or everyone struggling.
I've only had one issue (out of 3 uses of RAN) but it was just with one stall prematurely ending charging and I could complete at the others.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I noticed all the way there that it said 5 of the 6 were available, but all six were free. I'm not sure if the availability count anomaly had anything to do with my issues, but thought I'd mention it.
I don't think this was the issue. I went to the Broomfield, CO RAN station yesterday and saw the map showed 3 of 5 available. There are 6 stations and all of them were available upon reaching the site. Seems that even with their own network Rivian can't seem to figure out how to provide accurate charging network availability data.

dthuren

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had the exact same experience on Sunday. Was excited to pull up to my first RAN station in Crescent Oregon. Pulled in, said charge starting, then everything went red and said Disconnect And Try Again. Tried 4 other different chargers, same thing, Hard reset, same thing. There was another RAN station on my route 2 hours later in Klamath Falls, and same thing there too! Dropped into a 63KW CCS ChargePoint station a few miles away, and charged great. Sucks that a Rivian can't charge at a Rivian station. Must be something with the truck because the chargers seem fine. Emailed Rivian yesterday regarding getting my truck fixed no response yet. If the RAN stations would have worked, would have saved me from sitting at slow chargers, which added 5 hours to my trip. Really sucked.
Sponsored