First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I got the 2023.6.2 update Tuesday night, seemed to go fine other than taking a while. Immediately after I noticed much worse behavior with the phone (iPhone) PAAK as others have mentioned. Then today I popped into Lowe’s to pick up some items for a project, and truck is now bricked.

Initially it seemed normal, unlocked after standing next to door for ~10 sec and stereo/hvac running once entered. But then it wouldn’t shift into reverse, no pedal or key not present message just nothing when I operated stalk. So I tried an app close and reopen (had fixed a key not present in the past), no change. Next I tried a a soft reset, no change. Then a hard reset (reboot) which took unusually long sitting at 0%, Christmas tree of warnings on driver display and no hvac on completion. This isn’t good. Phoned support. They walked me through an app restart, Bluetooth restart, then hard restart with no change. Finally recommended a sleep cycle, which wasn’t ideal in a Lowe’s parking lot miles from home but I gave it a go and called the wife for a rescue ride home. An hour and a half later I returned with a card and fob in addition to my phone, long story short completely bricked … wouldn’t wake up or respond to any of the three keys. Rivian sent a tow truck. Didn’t anticipate the feeling of complete helplessness of not being able to troubleshoot or work on anything, I’m a guy who has built and restored dozens of vehicles 🙁. I’d hold off on this update, will post back what service center find’s Monday.

Rivian R1T R1S Truck is now bricked due to 12v battery issue [updated title] AA5648DC-90F8-4E0A-84BB-FFB0350EC302
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Most likely a 12V battery issue.

OP
OP
Tucker74

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Most likely a 12V battery issue.
Maybe, but whole interface was wonky after that hard reset, screens wouldn’t load and controls didn’t work. Had tried to get the ac back on in the 90 degree heat, would press and reset immediately. Was really strange … hope it’s simple like you said. Towing also a cluster if you can’t access the settings 😏

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I also had PAAK issue after the update, too. Tried a hard reset with no luck. Called service, they had me tried app restart, Bluetooth restart, delete and re-add phone key, all with no luck. They didn't ask me to initiate another hard reset since I had already done one ten minutes before (you need to wait ~ an hour before trying another hard reset since there are some modules needing longer time to reboot and that could go wonky as I understand). So they add a ticket to my existing service appointment next week. But then after a sleep cycle, I tried to re-add the phone key and that worked. It's been working flawlessly since in the last two days, responding faster than it ever has before. FWIW, my phone is an iPhone 14 Pro Max.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I also had PAAK issue after the update, too. Tried a hard reset with no luck. Called service, they had me tried app restart, Bluetooth restart, delete and re-add phone key, all with no luck. They didn't ask me to initiate another hard reset since I had already done one ten minutes before (you need to wait ~ an hour before trying another hard reset since there are some modules needing longer time to reboot and that could go wonky as I understand). So they add a ticket to my existing service appointment next week. But then after a sleep cycle, I tried to re-add the phone key and that worked. It's been working flawlessly since in the last two days, responding faster than it ever has before. FWIW, my phone is an iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Waiting an hour in between hard resets is probably something they should be telling us all. I could see people trying more than one in a row when they are frustrated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tucker74

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe the multiple hard resets messed something up, agree with @ironpig

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Waiting an hour in between hard resets is probably something they should be telling us all. I could see people trying more than one in a row when they are frustrated.
I completely agree - they should be telling people this.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So sorry…I understand this is extremely frustrating…I always have to keep reminding myself I am a beta tester…And I do cross my fingers and say a prayer when getting a new update 😁

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

That sucks. "could" be related to the update, but this has happened to many that have not been recently updated. I'd suggest a 12V battery, but the fact that it was just driven to Lowe's and only sat for a short time, seems unlikely it would have drained the 12V battery that fast. Maybe if it was low when he arrived, but the truck should have notified him of that. Probably one of the computer modules caused it. Seems like we're seeing a few more of these. Percentage wise, still well under 1% of all Rivian's on the road, but enough that they need to explore what's causing this issue and find a remedy for it.

Sorry to the OP that it happened. I went through it a couple of months ago. Not fun. To Rivian's credit, they gave me a loaner and had mine back in about 3 business days. Been good ever since. We are all early adopters, there are going to be issues. Rivian will sort them out and improve. Tesla had plenty of issues too. Even big manufacturers are having issues with their first EV's. It's a learning process for all involved. Seen videos of bricked Hummers, Lightnings, Teslas, etc, etc. It's not just Rivian. It's new EV tech, which is new to even the big manufacturers. They're learning too.

Best of luck and hope they get it resolved quickly for you.

OP
OP
Tucker74

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
After reading multiple other threads with same issue, seems to be something with the 12v battery after this update. @Dark-Fx was on it, I’d throw a torx in your tire kit and jump pack in the frunk if I were you 😉 At least you’ll be able to get in your truck -

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
After reading multiple other threads with same issue, seems to be something with the 12v battery after this update. @Dark-Fx was on it, I’d throw a torx in your tire kit and jump pack in the frunk if I were you 😉 At least you’ll be able to get in your truck -
Remind me how to open the frunk, manually, if the 12v supplied switch above the bumper is dead also?

OP
OP
Tucker74

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Remind me how to open the frunk, manually, if the 12v supplied switch above the bumper is dead also?
Remove torx on lower DS front inner wheel well, reach in and pull release cable. Detailed in troubleshooting section of manual. That and a Noco or similar jump pack would get you in, and possibly enough juice to do something.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
m
Remove torx on lower DS front inner wheel well, reach in and pull release cable. Detailed in troubleshooting section of manual. That and a Noco or similar jump pack would get you in, and possibly enough juice to do something.
I wonder if you could recharge the 12v battery, via the 12v frunk port, with a NoCo charger? Maybe they put a diode in there to prevent such trickery?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

m

I wonder if you could recharge the 12v battery, via the 12v frunk port, with a NoCo charger? Maybe they put a diode in there to prevent such trickery?
"SUPPOSED" to be able to recharge the 12V batteries from the cables in the back of the truck. Still haven't heard of anyone having any luck with it. Rivian told me it would work. But, again, my problem was a module rather than the battery, so that's why jumping, charging and even replacing the 12V batteries didn't work on my truck.

They did indicate it's a complex wiring system. So, not sure how much you could rely on charging it from the back. It certainly can't hurt to try.

For those that want to be pro-active, could buy one of those trickle chargers that comes with wires that you can bolt to the battery, then manually run the wires down to inside the fender well. That way, if it happens, you don't have to actually open the frunk, just plug in the charger and let it charge. Reminder, if truck is bricked and you manually open the frunk, you won't be able to close the frunk until the issue is resolved.

And, if it's bricked, the only way to get the doors to the cab open are with a unique "break-in" tool that Rivian contracted tow trucks are supplied with. If it turns out it was just the battery, then once charged, you should be able to open the truck again, if it will reset, which sometimes it apparently does not. Many have still had to have the truck towed to Rivian. If it's a module, then charging the 12V battery won't do anything.

Because of my experience, I now leave my window open when the truck is parked in the garage so I can at least get my stuff out of the truck. That was my worry last time as I had a lot of important stuff in there that I needed and couldn't get to. Supposedly, the module that failed on my truck was only the second one that's failed. But, there are other modules that could do the same thing. If an update bricked the truck, then its programming that's causing the issue and again, the 12V battery doesn't resolve that issue.

Again, doesn't hurt to try charging it, but from what I've been told and read, in most cases, if the truck is fully bricked, it's going to require a trip to the service center. I could be wrong, but in the OP's case, doesn't sound like a 12V issue.

Last edited:

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
I completely agree - they should be telling people this.
...or owners shouldn't just be doing hard resets for every little thing, and only when directed to by support.
Sponsored