Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Rivian on a Rampage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Sierra, Ford 555, 29 Ford tudor
Same happened to me. Updated and was able to drive the next morning. Came back to the truck in the evening and it was completely dead. I 100% believe it was related to the update. I wonder if the update caused the 12v battery to drop below a certain voltage and the inverter will no longer change it.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
...or owners shouldn't just be doing hard resets for every little thing, and only when directed to by support.
I don't think people are doing it for "every little thing" and it really defeats the whole purpose of owning an adventure vehicle if you are planning to rely on customer service support every time there is an issue.

According to the manual, the only conditions for a restart are to be in park and not plugged in to a charger. They should be updating the troubleshooting section of the manual for those of us who actually read it if there are updated guidelines.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think they are trying to get people to do more sleep cycle resets instead of the full resets.
Ah yes the ole "have you tried simply not driving your vehicle" support. Awesome.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
This is the first that Iā€™ve read regarding needing to wait >1 hour bet hard resets. Couldnā€™t Rivian include a warning or just block a second hard reset in <1 hour to error proof?
They could certainly provide a warning assuming the screens are working - after all, it is plausible you need to do a hard reset because the screens are not working.

Blocking a second hard reset? Good suggestion, but depending on how the reset works, it may or may not be possible to block a second reset.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Same thing happened to me. Went from just fine to dead as a doornail. I did get any warnings or cards. Just would not go into gear, no HVAC or Bluetooth. Called Roadside Assistance directly and the walked me through a restart, then software restart, then put to sleep. Came back hour later, with support and she was dead. Local SC speculating 12v issue as well. I had. 12v error after the Snow Mode OTA. SC did a patch. But nowā€¦makes me wonder. SC has been great so hopefully Iā€™ll know something tomorrow.
Good Luck Trucker74!
UPDATE:
Got my truck back yesterday afternoon. 1 business day out of commission. I will get the get the invoice/service ticket today as it was literally last check out of the day. Advisor indicated it was the 12v system and likely related to software - thatā€™s all I knowā€¦. Iā€™ll report back once I get the repair order information.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
UPDATE:
Got my truck back yesterday afternoon. 1 business day out of commission. I will get the get the invoice/service ticket today as it was literally last check out of the day. Advisor indicated it was the 12v system and likely related to software - thatā€™s all I knowā€¦. Iā€™ll report back once I get the repair order information.
UPDATE:
Received my invoice this afternoon. ā€œReplaced 12v batteriesā€. It was intimated the last OTA update had an unintended negative impact on the 12v system. And I should not have another problem with this update. Pretty vague but there are some positives:
1. Experienced Roadside support even though the truck was home.
2. Was able to receive a tutorial on breaking into the Frunk and access the extended 12v terminals.

Now I just need a good spot to stash tools for access. And keeping my USB battery boost in the Frunk.

BTW, I heard 3 more trucks came in yesterday with the same symptom.

TIP: Donā€™t be a Dick. They (all the Rivian customer service folks) want to help but they donā€™t need to deal with A-holes.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
But at least we have a hotfix for that pesky Driver+ random disengagement....

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
This is the first that Iā€™ve read regarding needing to wait >1 hour bet hard resets. Couldnā€™t Rivian include a warning or just block a second hard reset in <1 hour to error proof?
In the paperwork that comes with the vehicle, the one that shows you how to do the two different reset procedures, it clearly states to not do the large reset repeatedly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tucker74

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The SC work estimate shows replace both 12v batteries and investigate charging issue, all Iā€™ve got so far. Seems similar to others with this update, asked for the jump & manual frunk procedure tutorial on pickup.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Rivian certainly has gone through a lot of 12V batts in the past year...

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
Rivian certainly has gone through a lot of 12V batts in the past year...
I think all the manufacturers have, I'm unsure what rivian uses but if it's a LiFePo that would explain a lot.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I think all the manufacturers have, I'm unsure what rivian uses but if it's a LiFePo that would explain a lot.
12v are standard lead acid batteries.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They're AGM.
Sponsored