Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Because it is the same 5th gen, nothing has changed except a minor refresh in 2015. Toyota was going to kill off the 4Runner before the popularity of the refresh. Toyota keeps there models around for a long time to maintain reliability, parts availability, and 3rd party support. Some of the most supported aftermarket models are the Wrangler and 4Runner.
Oh I know - I've had four 4Runners. Just amazes me how excited people get when Toyota iterates every decade or so.
Sponsored

Mjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
software engineer
I think it looks great. Hopefully it doesn't get any bigger.. the tacoma is already a good size. The Tacoma EV is less exciting. They'll absolutely half ass it like they did the BZ4X.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Mostly because people love them and they generally sell over 100k per year. 🤷‍♂️
This. Basically printing money the longer they keep them around with sales like that.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Oh I know - I've had four 4Runners. Just amazes me how excited people get when Toyota iterates every decade or so.
Because it happens once a generation. I’ve had my 4Runner since I bought it new in 2012, it now has 160,000 miles.

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Because it happens once a generation. I’ve had my 4Runner since I bought it new in 2012, it now has 160,000 miles.
I'm not hating on Toyota - again I've had 4. My last was a 2014 after the fascia refresh. I just remember getting excited then - 10 years ago - that we were about to get a 6th gen. But I digress....

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
I'm not hating on Toyota - again I've had 4. My last was a 2014 after the fascia refresh. I just remember getting excited then - 10 years ago - that we were about to get a 6th gen. But I digress....
hard to convey tone via text. The first part was a joke because they take so long to redesign the 4Runner and Tacoma.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

I still can't comprehend why the current 4Runner is basically the same as the original 5th gen design that came out in 2009!
As others have said, people keep buying em. But toyota is 100% okay with that. Zero investment required in R&D, no new anything, and that thing has to just be a money PRINTER for them. They didn't even go through an ugly phase - the vehicle's just been good looking forever. Whoever did the initial design and engineering on that product deserves to retire when and where they please.

These renders look really good. I love the tacoma and seriously considered getting one instead of the R1T that I ended up with.

dpc166

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
Not going to lie, I kind of love it. I don’t have a ton of faith that it’ll get more than 250 mi of range and subpar charging speed, but I’ll watch this space.
That'll be just fine for me. I don't need it to be a road trip truck but it'll do some good for the local hauling i need to do and a number of trips. It'll certainly keep the weight down if they can avoid a huge battery.

Sponsored

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

That'll be just fine for me. I don't need it to be a road trip truck but it'll do some good for the local hauling i need to do and a number of trips. It'll certainly keep the weight down if they can avoid a huge battery.
Totally fair.

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
It looks really pretty good. Much like Rivian didn't abandon the standard notion of what we think trucks look like, Toyota seems to be simply taking something that's not broke and electrifying it. So what will the offer that's innovative? Given their market power, the R2 needs to be ready to fight this thing.

ED05

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Wonder if I would get it faster than the R1T in spring of 21. At least there would be a service center near by.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My long gone 2002 Tacoma is probably my favorite vehicle I’ve owned, but when I look at this all I think in Ewww.

Reminds me of when movies set in the future take current cars and add weird body kits to make it look futuristic. Pass

Last edited:

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Toyota is a conservative company. The 2024 Tacoma styling will simply be an evolution of the current truck that still sells like hot cakes.

It’s unlike the new WRX redesign that has seen sales take a nosedive due to the ugly black plastic cladding around the wheel wells and a barely noticeable 3hp increase.
You mean the Subaru WRX (Civic) SI? 😂
Sponsored