Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Looks just like the gasser. Sigh.

It doesn't fuel the same, it doesn't drive the same, it doesn't brake the same. Why should it look the same? I think the successful designs will be the ones that look different. Maybe 5 years ago ok, but playing conservative now is a loser, IMHO.
Why do EVs have to look like spaceships and have so much unnecessarily complicated technology? A simple Tacoma style pickup that is electric would be perfect. The Rivian has so many unnecessary points of failure because it’s cool and techy not because they are actual improvements in design.
Sponsored

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Love me some Tacomas. Had an 07 TRD Offroad and a 17 TRD Pro. Great trucks, terribly cheap interiors. These leaked images are just the new gen of ICE trucks. Probably will have a hybrid option. Don't see Toyota coming out with full EV Tacos for a few more years. Par for the course w/ Toyota.

Last edited:

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
To me this isn't remotely any form of competition other than the general size. You couldn't pay me enough to drive one of these daily or even infrequently. The Rivian is completely unique in its own segment and the harsh, primitive, not-enthusiast-friendly (unless maybe the "overlanding crowd" count as such) Tacoma is nowhere in its league - nor will this new one be. I can see how some might cross-shop, but most of us would not.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I owned a 2019 TRD Pro previous to my R1T. The trucks sell on their reputation. They are primitive however with rear leaf springs, rear drum brakes, etc.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Looks like yet another Toyota design penned by a 6th grader!

Sponsored

dpc166

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
Totally fair.
Certainly don't want you think I was trying to knock what you brought up, but to me I think 250+ mi range would be sufficient for what a lot of Tacoma owners would need (myself included). I'd be hauling a trailer every now and then, but for short distances. I'd also be using the bed for lumber and whatever else I need around the house for landscaping and such so to that end range doesn't matter. Looks like the 2023 model gets about 400mi of range with just gas so that's not terrible, but it's also a 21gal tank. I honestly have seen very few Tacomas towing anything in my area so I'm thinking that 250+ mi range should be sufficient for most of their sales. If they have an option for a larger battery then that would be cool. I certainly hope the price is in the right range because I really don't want to pay over $60k for a truck. I really love the Rivian and hope to see something in that price range in the future.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Certainly don't want you think I was trying to knock what you brought up, but to me I think 250+ mi range would be sufficient for what a lot of Tacoma owners would need (myself included). I'd be hauling a trailer every now and then, but for short distances. I'd also be using the bed for lumber and whatever else I need around the house for landscaping and such so to that end range doesn't matter. Looks like the 2023 model gets about 400mi of range with just gas so that's not terrible, but it's also a 21gal tank. I honestly have seen very few Tacomas towing anything in my area so I'm thinking that 250+ mi range should be sufficient for most of their sales. If they have an option for a larger battery then that would be cool. I certainly hope the price is in the right range because I really don't want to pay over $60k for a truck. I really love the Rivian and hope to see something in that price range in the future.
Ideally Toyota will come out with a 400+ mile range pack launch for those of us that would want to slap on larger tires and/or tow with their trucks.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Why do EVs have to look like spaceships and have so much unnecessarily complicated technology? A simple Tacoma style pickup that is electric would be perfect. The Rivian has so many unnecessary points of failure because it’s cool and techy not because they are actual improvements in design.
Because EVs have to care about aero efficiency in a way that an ICE does not. You can't get something efficiently aerodynamic without it looking like a spaceship/plane/etc.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Because EVs have to care about aero efficiency in a way that an ICE does not. You can't get something efficiently aerodynamic without it looking like a spaceship/plane/etc.
This is how it's going to be until some advancements are made in battery energy density. Maybe in 20 years battery packs will be able to contain so much energy that it won't matter as much. For now the sleeker the better.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That EV version won’t be ready any time in the near future (2025 or 2026?). 250 miles of range will be well under the average by then and Toyota would be far behind the competition again if that’s all they do.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Ideally Toyota will come out with a 400+ mile range pack launch for those of us that would want to slap on larger tires and/or tow with their trucks.
Its a lot easier to type that than to engineer and build that. No one else has done it yet.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Its a lot easier to type that than to engineer and build that. No one else has done it yet.
I don't think building it would be a problem, look at the battery capacity of the hummer, the issue is money.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I don't think building it would be a problem, look at the battery capacity of the hummer, the issue is money.
I doubt you could fit the Hummer EV's battery in a Tacoma EV chasis. Could be wrong, but I'm guessing that would require a drastic re-imagining of the dimensions of the vehicle to achieve.

Reactions: Mjl

GeoMars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla model 3, 2014 4Runner
Our current vehicles are a 2014 4Runner (90k miles) and Tesla model 3 (60k miles). I'm on the waitlist for both an R1T and a Cybertruck, but I expect I will buy a 2024 hybrid Tacoma or 4Runner if they're as good as the hype.
Here's why: As much as we prefer driving our model 3 to the 4Runner where the roads are paved and superchargers are available, we need a vehicle to use at our off-grid vacation property in southern Utah. Access is by 2 miles of poorly maintained dirt roads, we have only limited solar power available at the house, and the nearest fast-charger or supercharger is 120 miles away. To charge a Rivian max pack on our solar power would take an entire month if we left it charging full time, and then we wouldn't be able to drive it.
When I told my wife my plan for charging would be to pay to charge an e-truck overnight at the nearest lodge, bike home 10 miles on an electric mt bike, and then bike back to get the truck the next day, she said: "That's nuts.", and I couldn't really disagree. And we didn't even get to discussing a plan for snowy weather.
So, as much as I like electric vehicles, I haven't yet seen one that will work for our adventures as well as our 4Runner. An R1T max pack or Cybertruck might (barely) have adequate range to get us from a fast charger to home and back in good weather, but we wouldn't have much range left for driving to trailheads. An updated Tacoma or 4Runner would just work better for us.
Sponsored

Last edited: