Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
lol what does this even mean? Long start up times? Have you been in any other EV? Do you think that a Tesla has a boot sequence where you can’t drive the car?
No I haven't been in any other EV's. Haven't been interested in Tesla ever really. So maybe then it has nothing to do with the infotainment. But my last Acura didn't play the radio for about 15 seconds as things came online so that was where I speculated some energy is going.

No need for the lol part. Just not sure where this energy is going.

What do you speculate the wasted energy is being used on and can be eliminated? It's going somewhere....what can stop happening?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
What do you speculate the wasted energy is being used on and can be eliminated? It's going somewhere....what can stop happening?
Let's look at it another way.. let's compare the wasteful Rivian to the BMW i3 that has literally 0% vampire over a 24hr period...

Using the Rivian phone app and BMW phone app (and remember you specifically asked about things running when the vehicle is "off" :

Both can show state of charge
Both can show vehicle location on a map (I guess in case you misplaced your vehicle 😁)
Both can precondition the cab
Both can start/stop a charge
Both can be sent destination addresses from the phone
Both can open/close /vent windows and lock and unlock vehicle
Both can flash headlights an sound horn for vehicle finder

Rivian has 1-2% battery loss (5-10 mi range loss) per day.
BMW i3 has virtually no battery loss that is measurable over a 24hr period.

As a community we need to stop giving Rivian a pass on this hugely wasteful issue, especially considering that other EV manufacturers currently build EV's that prove it's possible to have the same remote services Rivian gives us but with zero or close to zero vampire drain.

It's lazy and wasteful and flies in the face of Rivian's supposed "Green philosophy" they love to push out to the press and customers.

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
I’m really surprised that there are some that expect near zero vampire drain for a new car company. They are following the Tesla model. Vampire drain will go down over time.
Yes Rivian is so similar to Tesla in approach and vampire drains.

I have the Tesla and Rivian and they both seem to be heating the windshield area where cameras are looking through... every time there is snow on windshield I see a 8 inch square all cleared off and melted off.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Yes Rivian is so similar to Tesla in approach and vampire drains.

I have the Tesla and Rivian and they both seem to be heating the windshield area where cameras are looking through... every time there is snow on windshield I see a 8 inch square all cleared off and melted off.
Curious if anybody knows if that heated area is on a separate fuse than the camera, or if it could be disabled somehow through wiring. Surely that wouldn’t be 100w of continuous power, but it may be close

Sponsored

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
Curious if anybody knows if that heated area is on a separate fuse than the camera, or if it could be disabled somehow through wiring. Surely that wouldn’t be 100w of continuous power, but it may be close
That would explain why vampire drain is much higher in freezing temperatures.
I typically see 1.2 kWh overnite when freezing.

Thud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
They aren't inactive. Just not moving.
Got it. So an extreme vehicle needs extreme electricity while it's sitting in the garage, just absolutely slaying those electrons, all day and all night long. So much more extreme than a Model 3 which is just a pansy car that simply is too wimpy to absolutely freaking demolish battery kwh in the middle of the night.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Got it. So an extreme vehicle needs extreme electricity while it's sitting in the garage, just absolutely slaying those electrons, all day and all night long. So much more extreme than a Model 3 which is just a pansy car that simply is too wimpy to absolutely freaking demolish battery kwh in the middle of the night.
My point is not everyone buys a R1T or S to save the planet and wishes later they had bought a Bolt. I could honestly care less about the $ associated with this "vampire drain". I bought the R1T because it is fun. Not to save planet. Anyone who buys a R1 to save planet is very misguided, regardless of what the marketing says. It's not rocket science. 7000# vehicles aren't saving the planet.

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

My point is not everyone buys a R1T or S to save the planet and wishes later they had bought a Bolt. I could honestly care less about the $ associated with this "vampire drain". I bought the R1T because it is fun. Not to save planet. Anyone who buys a R1 to save planet is very misguided, regardless of what the marketing says. It's not rocket science. 7000# vehicles aren't saving the planet.
Whether a Rivian is "Green" isn't even the issue, it's just plain wasteful to burn energy for no reason. Seriously, it's just annoying to have the range change from the time you leave to when you come back. Having to calculate in vampire drain when planning trips can be frustrating, and if someone doesn't drive the Rivian a lot, losing 12% a week means you're probably burning more battery sitting than driving, for no reason, it's just dumb.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Whether a Rivian is "Green" isn't even the issue, it's just plain wasteful to burn energy for no reason. Seriously, it's just annoying to have the range change from the time you leave to when you come back. Having to calculate in vampire drain when planning trips can be frustrating, and if someone doesn't drive the Rivian a lot, losing 12% a week means you're probably burning more battery sitting than driving, for no reason, it's just dumb.
Agreed, whether you're leaving it at the airport to fly private to Africa for some big game hunting, or going camping at a Greenpeace rally, we shouldn't have to do the math and stress we won't have battery left on return.

But back to the question at hand. Lost 0.8kWh in a 58* garage over 15.75hrs. 1.22kWh/day drain.

Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I've held off on posting anything regarding battery drain until I had some good data to share from our R1T. We got our truck in December. We live in the DC metro area, so winter temps at night are often below freezing.

We created a website to track our vehicle usage. Without getting into too many details, the site tracks things like charge %, range, battery capacity, air temp, etc. Over the past three months our average nightly drain is around 1%. I posted a screen shot of our data set from the past 11 days. Positive SOC numbers are nights we charged. With warmer nights we've noticed 0% battery drain. Even when we go back to January/February data, the drain is not significant.

We also track driving with the site and we're seeing better efficiency than what the truck reports. I'll share more data when it's relevant, but I just wanted post our experience with battery drain. It has not been significant.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 9.12.41 AM

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

I left the truck unplugged in the garage last night. Here is the pattern I usually see.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 1679327352154

Ignore the short blip close to "now" as I was doing some network work.

Truck goes to sleep for about 3 hours, then wakes up and stays on the network for about an hour. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Pattern is usually similar when plugged in "idle" - when going to a full active charge it tends to chat more and stay awake while doing so.

No, this isn't checking consumption of juice. Just a data point for those looking at things.

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
I left the truck unplugged in the garage last night. Here is the pattern I usually see.

1679327352154.png

Ignore the short blip close to "now" as I was doing some network work.

Truck goes to sleep for about 3 hours, then wakes up and stays on the network for about an hour. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Pattern is usually similar when plugged in "idle" - when going to a full active charge it tends to chat more and stay awake while doing so.

No, this isn't checking consumption of juice. Just a data point for those looking at things.
Is this based on network activity from a monitor of sorts? If so, what activity is it doing (uploading AWS, telemetry, etc)./ If my apartment wasn't 6 floors above my parking spot I could try to connect my R1T to my WiFi for monitoring.

If it is network, I'm going to run a test this week starting tonight shutting off all network connectivity in the deep settings. I'm not driving at all this week after today so it's worth testing for me.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Is this based on network activity from a monitor of sorts? If so, what activity is it doing (uploading AWS, telemetry, etc)./ If my apartment wasn't 6 floors above my parking spot I could try to connect my R1T to my WiFi for monitoring.

If it is network, I'm going to run a test this week starting tonight shutting off all network connectivity in the deep settings. I'm not driving at all this week after today so it's worth testing for me.
It is - typically sends up around 50MB or so at a minimum. I haven't reset the data collection on it, but the vast majority is always AWS.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 1679329476915

That should be the last day, but I drove it some and there is always telemetry uploads after driving that are higher.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
It is - typically sends up around 50MB or so at a minimum. I haven't reset the data collection on it, but the vast majority is always AWS.

1679329476915.png

That should be the last day, but I drove it some and there is always telemetry uploads after driving that are higher.
Why does R1T need to send 580MB of data to AWS? Would disabling Alexa eliminate this?
Sponsored