Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I did a quick test this past week when I was on a biz trip. Truck was parked in the garage (roughly 35-40 degrees) charged to 85%. Pulled the charger as i was leaving. Phone was with me far away from truck, checked via app no more than once a day. Over 3.5 days (roughly 80 hours) I lost 7 KWh as measure by the trip meter (reset at time I pulled the charger). This works out to 2.1 KWh / day.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I guess I had fooled myself into believing the chorus of people saying itā€™s not as bad as reported and only the edge cases are seeing such high drain. I really hope 4kWh per day of drain was an anomaly. Iā€™m testing again now. If I had known for sure it would be this bad, I wouldnā€™t have bought something off the R1 Shop.
As the weather warms up my vampire drain has decreased to about 1 kWh per day. Not great but not terrible. Hopefully it gets better with future updates.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

As the weather warms up my vampire drain has decreased to about 1 kWh per day. Not great but not terrible. Hopefully it gets better with future updates.
I can live with 1kWh per day. Like you say, not great but not terrible. Not sure why I'm seeing 4x than that. It's not cold here. I think when I setup my wifi, I may not have entered the correct password. Maybe having a bad wifi login caused it to stay awake more than it should. I'm testing again without wifi. If it fails again, I'll try wifi one more time with phone as key off just to get the lowest possible drain.

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

Did some quick math and assuming 30 cents per kWh (average cost in California as of 2023).

1% loss per day = 1/2MWh/yr = $150/yr in wasted electricty
2% loss per day = 1MWh/yr = $300/yr in wasted electricty
3% loss per day = 1.5MWh/yr = $450/yr in wasted electricty

Taking the higher end of that spectrum at 3%, at $3.44/gal (average fuel price in CA today) that's about 130 gallons worth of fuel. Compare against the closest vehicle, say a mid-size Ford Maverick AWD with a combined rating of around 26mpg, and you'd be right at 3.4k miles/year. Most people only drive 10k/year max, I personally drive about 5k and the rest goes on my model Y.

To put it another way, at 2.1 miles/kWh, 5k miles would require 2.4MWh or $714, PLUS another 1.5MWh or $450, or $1164 total to maintain for vampire drain, vs. an annual fuel spend of $660 for a Ford Maverick putting around town. So in my case the R1T would literally be wasting 63% more energy that I would otherwise consume due to vampire drain.

I had to retake 1st semester calculus four times so feel free to correct my math as needed! :)

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I was concerned about the that too which is why I measured the power needed to charge back to 70%. I could live with 1kWh per day but mine used 4. I have the latest software too. Whatā€™s different about our situations? Do you use phone as key? What is going on thatā€™s causing my truck to use so much more electricity?
Mine is stored locked in a 50F garage. For this test, I removed the app from my phone memory because I use PAAK, but don't have enough data to conclude that this matters. Gear Guard is "on", but set to disable at home. I don't do anything else special.

Sponsored

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Alright, running my first round of tests of disabling various things. Tonight I'm not going full disconnect of network, just two settings that I think are most likely to be contributing to the problem of data upload and waking up the vehicle:

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? PXL_20230321_010456826~2

For posterity, I've zero'd out the odometer and will check in tomorrow at around the same time to see total energy usage by kWh, not %:

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? PXL_20230321_010507298~2

Temps are at a nice 12 C and stable overnight. PAAK and GG off as well. SoC currently at 62%.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Alright, running my first round of tests of disabling various things. Tonight I'm not going full disconnect of network, just two settings that I think are most likely to be contributing to the problem of data upload and waking up the vehicle:

PXL_20230321_010456826~2.jpg

For posterity, I've zero'd out the odometer and will check in tomorrow at around the same time to see total energy usage by kWh, not %:

PXL_20230321_010507298~2.jpg

Temps are at a nice 12 C and stable overnight. PAAK and GG off as well. SoC currently at 62%.
Will be interesting to see if that makes any difference. I think I'll try it at work tomorrow.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Mine is like this, when it comes to its thirst for electronsā€¦
@uthatch

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 154A9E4E-9BCD-4E1E-A813-157C35D37820

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Mine is like this, when it comes to its thirst for electronsā€¦
@uthatch

154A9E4E-9BCD-4E1E-A813-157C35D37820.gif
LOL, I don't even know what to say to that!

But I will say that my truck has been at service for a week now and it went from about 145 miles of range down to 112 right now. But I don't think the drain is the same when it's at my townhouse, 2 floors down in a parking garage. Maybe having no connection to anything slows down the drain? But this is purely by gut, I really don't know.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

PXL_20230321_010456826~2.jpg

PXL_20230321_010507298~2.jpg

Curious to see what comes of this. I've heard of people doing packet captures on trucks connected to their home wifi networks, but I haven't had the chance to as I've always just had it connected to mobile.

From what I recall reading it was pretty talkative with all of the diagnostic broadcasts to the cloud.

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I took delivery of my R1T on Friday. My number 1 concern buying it was the vampire drain. With so many different experiences in the community, it was hard to tell how big of an issue it was going to be for me. On Saturday evening, I charged it to 70% and in the morning noticed that the battery was down to 61%. I wasn't completely sure it charged to 70% though and I think the gear guard may have been on so I didn't want to panic.

Yesterday afternoon I made sure to charge to 70% then unplugged the truck at 12:36pm. The truck was parked outside, low temperature of 46, phone as key and wifi turned on, gear guard off. I never opened the Rivian app during the test. I waited until 11:58am the next day to check for drain. I lost 3% in a little less than 24 hours. It was down to 67%. The eight miles of stated range loss is more than I drive most days. It lost that doing nothing! I charged it back to 70% and it took 4kWh. I'm so disappointed. That's beyond awful. One year of vampire drain from my R1T (1460kWh) is more electricity than my home uses many months, including charging two other electric cars (Model X and i3)!

I'm going to run one more test tonight with climate and wifi manually turned off. I'm leaving phone as key on because I'm not willing to own a $80k vehicle without a proximity based key. If I don't see an improvement, I'm not sure how long or if I can keep this truck. At least for me, it sucks a lot of joy out of owning it. I understand that many people would scoff at selling it just because it wastes $200 in electricity a year but I find the unnecessary inefficiency incredibly off-putting. You wouldn't put up with a gas car venting 3% of its tank a night. Neither of my other EVs waste electricity like this. It's totally unnecessary. I know we're not going to save the planet driving 7000lbs electric trucks but this is just crap engineering and in a year and a half, Rivian hasn't shown they can consistently or meaningfully get the drain down. I'm not confident they're ever going to fix it. Alex on Autos called this out seven months ago and my truck drains even worse than his did. Now I've got to do the math on how much of a bath I would take holding onto it until one of my other EV truck reservations comes up or just turning around and selling it next week. This is not how I thought my Rivian honeymoon would go.

IMG_4180.PNG

IMG_4178.PNG

IMG_4179.PNG
Just got my R1s a few days ago, and I am at 2% of lost per day parked in the garage at 60 degree. My 3 years old model 3 is parking outside at 45 degree and lost 1 total mile. Hope there will be a fix, but I highly doubt it will be anytime soon. I really do love the car, but this is very annoying !!!

jlstan

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang GT
Solar has saved me on this, but they really need to figure it out. With all the Tesla experience they had/have on the team, they had to know this was going to be an issue (and how to address it).

I will add, however, that my percentage and miles usually bumps up after the battery warms up in the morning. Only use the kWh on the trip meter. None of those other measures are legitimate...

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Sorry to hear that, Iā€™m surprised there are so many variations.

Iā€™m not seeing anywhere near that, I see one or 2 miles a day for the first 24 hours and less after that if not moved. I do park in a garage with gear guard off but nothing special other than that.

Iā€™ll test tonight, it should be parked for 2 days after I park it tonight. I will screenshot the loss.
Iā€™m surprised too. Itā€™s maddening.
Solar has saved me on this, but they really need to figure it out. With all the Tesla experience they had/have on the team, they had to know this was going to be an issue (and how to address it).

I will add, however, that my percentage and miles usually bumps up after the battery warms up in the morning. Only use the kWh on the trip meter. None of those other measures are legitimate...
Wouldnā€˜t measuring the amount of power from the wall required to charge to a set level be the most accurate measure?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Iā€™m surprised too. Itā€™s maddening.

Wouldnā€˜t measuring the amount of power from the wall required to charge to a set level be the most accurate measure?
You would have to know what the loss is from the charger. Also on the Rivian app the power delivered by the charger is always a whole number so not very accurate in my mind.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
LOL, I don't even know what to say to that!

But I will say that my truck has been at service for a week now and it went from about 145 miles of range down to 112 right now. But I don't think the drain is the same when it's at my townhouse, 2 floors down in a parking garage. Maybe having no connection to anything slows down the drain? But this is purely by gut, I really don't know.
If the truck can ā€œseeā€ your FOB or PaaK the drain is higher. Early on, the ā€œseeingā€ distance was far. I could be in my house, and these items far from the truck, and yet the truck connected to them. I think Rivian adjusted that via a recent update. My solution was just to plug it in every night and always leave with my preset ā€œfull tankā€ when I the house.
Sponsored

Last edited: