Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Also sitting in a 55* garage, 48 hours= 2.1kWh drain so right around the same scientific 1.05/day.
That's no unlocks, no GG, and a removed wireless charging mat (which was shockingly large/heavy). Also it had sat for a few hours before initial parking so was already at garage rest state. That's about the best I've ever seen in mine.

Edit: That included the latest update download but not install.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

Just a thought experiment here, but if you were to say change your wifi password so that your truck could no longer connect, and lets say you threw your phone into the river (I want to do this sometimes), do you guys think that would help at all? I plan on not connecting my phone, EVER, nor connecting to wifi at home, when I get mine. I imagine the truck will still mine bitcoin and upload over the cellular network, however...

As of now, I have found large threads on this forum going back a whole year outlining vampire drain. What's taking them so long?

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Just a thought experiment here, but if you were to say change your wifi password so that your truck could no longer connect, and lets say you threw your phone into the river (I want to do this sometimes), do you guys think that would help at all? I plan on not connecting my phone, EVER, nor connecting to wifi at home, when I get mine. I imagine the truck will still mine bitcoin and upload over the cellular network, however...

As of now, I have found large threads on this forum going back a whole year outlining vampire drain. What's taking them so long?
Would likely make no difference. Mine is in a concrete parkade with no wifi anywhere and cell signal is also not available (it's practically a bunker).

Based on most recent testing (confirmed with a FLIR thermal imager) the source of vampire drain is the various Driver+ sensors; they are always on which draw about 50-65w constantly.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Good stuff on the tests guys. It does seem now that temps are getting warmer for some of us that vampire is going down a little bit. The temp info with these tests is very pertinent as the camera/radar really like to be in the upper 50's. This is likely why your 55 degree garage helped with the minimal vampire and why it's bad in my 35 degree garage.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Good stuff on the tests guys. It does seem now that temps are getting warmer for some of us that vampire is going down a little bit. The temp info with these tests is very pertinent as the camera/radar really like to be in the upper 50's. This is likely why your 55 degree garage helped with the minimal vampire and why it's bad in my 35 degree garage.
Agreed, benefits of parking at work overnight. Downside is when I go home and have very cold outside nights.

Phantom Breaking, meet Vampire Drain.

Annoying that I only use Driver+ a couple times a month at most and yet have the tech warmed up all winter. Need an option to opt out of instantly active Driver+. But they are probably constantly feeding the data back to CA so won't disable that even if we aren't using it. For ref, its an hour drive for me to get to the closest road I can use it on. That's 30kWh a month (best case) for driver+.

@SurfnBike I've never connected to wifi for what that's worth, but do have enough 4G to download updates.

Sponsored

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Agreed, benefits of parking at work overnight. Downside is when I go home and have very cold outside nights.

Phantom Breaking, meet Vampire Drain.

Annoying that I only use Driver+ a couple times a month at most and yet have the tech warmed up all winter. Need an option to opt out of instantly active Driver+. But they are probably constantly feeding the data back to CA so won't disable that even if we aren't using it. For ref, its an hour drive for me to get to the closest road I can use it on. That's 30kWh a month (best case) for driver+.

@SurfnBike I've never connected to wifi for what that's worth, but do have enough 4G to download updates.
While parking out on cold nights try putting it in "shipping mode" and that turns off all those heaters.

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
While parking out on cold nights try putting it in "shipping mode" and that turns off all those heaters.
I might be mistaken but I thought the 'shipping mode' myth was busted? It really shouldn't be something we have to enable when we park every night either...

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I might be mistaken but I thought the 'shipping mode' myth was busted? It really shouldn't be something we have to enable when we park every night either...
Shipping mode is busted. Left it for 6 days and still used 50 watts continuous -- 1.2kW/day. And will be doing another shipping mode test s00n with battery monitors connected to the 12v's.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
Y’all experiences are very different than mine.

With gear guard on, proximity lock/unlock turned on for the phone/key our R1S barely even consumes 1% overnight. Sometimes it even remains at the same percentage.

Sponsored

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Y’all experiences are very different than mine.

With gear guard on, proximity lock/unlock turned on for the phone/key our R1S barely even consumes 1% overnight. Sometimes it even remains at the same percentage.
Overnight is not a long enough test. The 12v batteries will power the electronics for several hours before the HV battery kicks in to charge them. So you might not lose any HV charge overnight because it is not being used at all.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Overnight is not a long enough test. The 12v batteries will power the electronics for several hours before the HV battery kicks in to charge them. So you might not lose any HV charge overnight because it is not being used at all.
Fair - I’ll try and see if I can get some extended time without using the car. Keep y’all posted.

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Fair - I’ll try and see if I can get some extended time without using the car. Keep y’all posted.
Also it seems as though you are in a much warmer place than a lot of country. If the cameras are being heated to upper 50s then you probably won't have much since it's warmer in Miami.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Also it seems as though you are in a much warmer place than a lot of country. If the cameras are being heated to upper 50s then you probably won't have much since it's warmer in Miami.
Makes sense.
Sponsored