Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

Happening daily now, not getting a charge overnight at all now. Rivian tells me it is a known issue and will fix on next update. In the meantime they tell me to just go to nearest charger location. To me it does not seem they are moving fast enough fixing this. Am I the only one that is upset about this?
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Weird answer from them....

I think it was late last summer for me, I starting getting the red ring at the charger door on the truck. Sometimes right when I plugged in....sometimes mid session....sometimes not at all. Then it got worse and worse.

Figured out the high voltage wires in the charger head were shorting between charger and truck.

Got a new charger and has not done it again.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Most of us aren't upset because it isn't happening to us. If it was, we would certainly be upset. I would guess its a charger issue if its only at home, but if Rivian says its a "known issue", maybe they see something in the software logs. I did have an issue this week when I was charging at work (6kw), and after about 1 hour I saw on my app a charging error. When I went to the truck to move it to another charger, the R1T unlocked, and immediately started charging again from the same charger, with no following issues. I did not even touch the plug. I did submit a report for tracking purposes.

I do think they should enable a push notification if your charging session is interrupted before your preset charge limit after a certain amount of time. If I am set to charge to 70% (maybe factor in a 5% deadband) , and it stops or gets an error at 40%, and is stopped for a period of time while plugged in (maybe >30 minutes), I think we should get a push notification letting us know.

jbowen52

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Durango and Porsche Panamera
Occupation
Aerospace Support Engineer
What brand charger are you using?

OP
OP

Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

The Rivian home charger

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Happening daily now, not getting a charge overnight at all now.
If your charger used to work, then started failing occasionally, and is now failing all the time, it seems to me the most likely cause (and the first thing you should check) is that the power wires from the breaker have become loose at the charger terminals due thermal expansion/contraction. You should check the torque on the screws inside the Rivian charger. And you should verify that you're using the correct gauge and type of wire between the breaker and the charger.

While it's certainly possible there is a software problem somewhere, that really doesn't explain why the problem has been getting worse over time.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
did the latest ota fix your issue? I have the same problem, sc said nothing wrong with truck. but I'm seeing it on DC charging as well.

OP
OP

Soupdc

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Yukon
Clubs

It did not fix for me. Service did just come to explore the issue. Said it is likely from a hot disconnect of the charger and it arched power to the plug

longhornguy2015

First Name
Darshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura 2014 rdx
Occupation
IT Analyst
I started having the same issue today.

Would start a charging session, would be fine for a bit, then it stops and says vehicle error, then when i go back to the car it starts charging again. It has been fine up until today, never had issues charging. I contacted Rivian who asked for pictures of my charge port and charger. They suggested to plug in the seatbelt so the car doesn't sleep and fails at charging.

longhornguy2015

First Name
Darshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura 2014 rdx
Occupation
IT Analyst
Car failed again charging last night after the reset. It eventually finished charging as I left the cable in last night while sleeping.

Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I know it kind of defeats the purpose of having a nice fast wall charger but I've been having the same issue and Rivian hasn't given much good feedback on it. I've had good luck bumping the charge rate from default 48 amps down to 30 amps from the energy screen inside the truck. Hoping this gets me by until an OTA fixes it since I've seen many others having the same problem.

longhornguy2015

First Name
Darshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura 2014 rdx
Occupation
IT Analyst
I know it kind of defeats the purpose of having a nice fast wall charger but I've been having the same issue and Rivian hasn't given much good feedback on it. I've had good luck bumping the charge rate from default 48 amps down to 30 amps from the energy screen inside the truck. Hoping this gets me by until an OTA fixes it since I've seen many others having the same problem.
Yup you’re correct that it sucks. I tried lowering the amps and that didn’t help. Charged a bit this morning and it went through fine so just trying to figure out what’s causing the issue.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Have you tried tightening the electrical connections to your charger?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Ok, I see I responded earlier in this thread. I have now had a total of 3 Vehicle Charging errors while at work, on two different chargers, and each time I go to unplug and plug in again, the vehicle unlocks and starts charging again. I don't need to touch anything, but I do need to go to the truck. I submitted two tickets prior to today, and this morning Rivian called to see if I have had the problem again, and I hadn't. Until about an hour after they called. So I submitted another ticket. This only started for me the last 3 weeks or so, but seems to average once a week since it started.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
The sc said nothing was wrong but they are testing on their 8kw units at the shop. Lowering the amps does work to charge mine. But not really helpful for those of us with 11kw chargers.

Also I've noticed DC fast chargers that charge my kWh cut off while those that charge by the minute reconnect and retry.
Sponsored