Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Ok. I'm going to confess that my mum drove a Volvo. There I've said it. When I think of Volvo-I associate it with my mum. I wouldn't won one over the R1 but I can see why others might. It is a wonderful safe family car. It has a lot going for it such as the dealer network and the reliability history.
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Frunk admittedly looks small, although much of it is dedicated to a “tire repair kit/warning triangle”, so might be more useable if you take out the divider.
Unfortunately based on videos I’ve seen, even if the divider can be removed (I’m not sure it can as it seems to be molded in place) the frunk is very shallow, which is why the cited volume is so small. It isn’t a frunk you can use to hold grocery bags.

I use my frunk way more than I expected, especially compared to our Model X. Part of that is the convenience of it being power operated and part is that it fills in for normal trunk space on the R1T. I’m not sure I want to go back to a vehicle without a useable frunk.

I’m hoping Volvo allows preorder holders a way to get hands-on experience before configuring/ordering.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Tiny frunk (little over 1 cubic foot) with rear storage looking pretty small as well. Bland styling. Bland exterior colors. Portrait interior center display. Slow as far as EVs go. Unimpressive range. Easy pass.
I'm curious why you list Portrait center display as a negative. I've found Rivian's landscape center display to be a huge step back from my former Model X's portrait display. The portrait display lends itself much better to multitasking, as you can essentially stack two or three landscape apps on top of one another. Rivian can't even show multiple apps simultaneously yet. The only area a landscape display excels is full-screen video, which is of little use in a car outside of public charging stops.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I think this is definitely a case of "different strokes for different folks." If the pricing ends up being very competitive with whatever the latest R1S pricing will be, it then comes down to personal preferences. I personally would put safety above all else.

GR

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I think this is definitely a case of "different strokes for different folks." If the pricing ends up being very competitive with whatever the latest R1S pricing will be, it then comes down to personal preferences. I personally would put safety above all else.

GR
I think all vehicles are relatively safe so I’d put it second to longevity/reliability.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I think all vehicles are relatively safe so I’d put it second to longevity/reliability.
If you're going just based on crash test results, sure. Most manufacturers design their vehicles to perform well in crash tests.

The real indicator, however, is looking to see who doesn't fall flat on their face whenever a test is changed or a new test is added. Granted, it's old news now, but I will always give Volvo credit because the first gen XC90, 11 years after its release, pretty much passed the small overlap front crash test with flying colors while most every other car on the market struggled because it was a newly introduced test.

Accidents do not happen in controlled environments and there is a lot to be said about manufacturers that design their vehicles with safety as a primary focus versus those that design their vehicles to do well in crash tests.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
If you're going just based on crash test results, sure. Most manufacturers design their vehicles to perform well in crash tests.

The real indicator, however, is looking to see who doesn't fall flat on their face whenever a test is changed or a new test is added. Granted, it's old news now, but I will always give Volvo credit because the first gen XC90, 11 years after its release, pretty much passed the small overlap front crash test with flying colors while most every other car on the market struggled because it was a newly introduced test.

Accidents do not happen in controlled environments and there is a lot to be said about manufacturers that design their vehicles with safety as a primary focus versus those that design their vehicles to do well in crash tests.
Agreed. I was wooed by the accident-avoidance features they were promoting. It's certainly important to be able to survive a crash (which I think Volvo in general has a pretty good track record of), but to avoid a crash in the first place would be infinitely better.

GR

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Eh I would say this picture is a bit aggressive. In a world where you can adventure without going offroading I would say EX90 is plenty capable to not 'soccer mom' and be functional while the R1S will fill the niche of needing offroad capable. Granted at least 50% of R1S buyers will use it exactly like EX90 buyers you mention.
You're right, but vehicles are rarely about how you actually use them, it's about how you want others to think you use them and the version of yourself you'd like to portray or aspire to be more like.

Reactions: Jac

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
You're right, but vehicles are rarely about how you actually use them, it's about how you want others to think you use them and the version of yourself you'd like to portray or aspire to be more like.
Yeah but most people see all suv as offroad capable even though it’s not true to us.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Yeah but most people see all suv as offroad capable even though it’s not true to us.
Yes, real SUVs. The Volvo is a crossover though. It (and others like it) are specifically made to mimic as close as possible the driving experience of a car, but with more space. Another reason it's not really in the same category of vehicle.

A Discovery or Defender 110/130 is probably the closest you can get to an R1S, and that only covers the off road half of what it can do. Basically, the R1S is equivalent to owning both an Cayenne/X5/X7 and a Defender 110/130/Land Cruiser. That's why it's just a great value, even at current pricing, you'd have to spend $200k to replicate it through two other vehicles.

catman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9, Honda Accord Hybrid
All we have at the moment is the concept. The EX90 goes into production only in Fall 2023. However, the specs are wonderful; it is a Volvo; is serviced by a local dealership; has Apple CarPlay built in; and has a fast charger capable of charging the vehicle from 10 - 80 percent in 30 minutes.

Given my R1S delivery date was pushed out by several months (now sometime in 2024 after an initial date of Q2 2023), I decided to put in my deposit for the XC 90 as well. If the Volvo ships early, I will likely get it over the R1S.

Interestingly, within 10 minutes of placing the deposit I received a call from a local Volvo dealer who promised to show me the vehicle as soon as he gets one.

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

GR
It's Volvo's entire ethos. Yes by the time i get my R1S it will have snow mode likely...but that's the crap that would never fly with Volvo. They are so hyper focused on safety they wouldn't let an EV that heavy be on the road without a 'no regen' option

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Not sure if I would go with Volvo electric. My sister has a hybrid XC90 and has had massive electrical problems with it. Like almost to lemon law problems. Has left her stranded multiple times.. the car will literally shut down while driving.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
However good Volvo's safety record is, its ICE reliability record is and was poor. It's not clear how that translates to EVs.
Sponsored