Sponsored

Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
I happen to be reading this while waiting at my Volvo dealer’s service area. A nicely equipped mild hybrid 2023 Volvo XC90, the outgoing model, stickers over $70,000.

71212259-C107-4090-B896-674B5FFFCDCE.jpeg
I got all of this for $50k in the Kia Telluride including Nappa leather seats, HK sound system, Ventilated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, sun curtains, AWD. Only thing missing from this list, 21" wheels. Kia comes with 20" wheels.

If you guys haven't test driven/been in a Telluride, I highly recommend it. I test drove both XC and Kia before making my decision.

And believe me, I did not want to go to a KIA because its a KIA. But their higher package cars are really worth taking a look at. Just good value for what you pay.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

The EX90 electric will probably be the best combination of luxury, quality, and size for a 3-row EV. I'm hoping they will have some innovative storage solutions like a large front truck. If not that could be a miss. Off-road performance will be mediocre, but it will probably drive on-road like a true luxury SUV. Hopefully price stays around $100k or less.

• R1S is about off-road and overall performance. True adventure style SUV. The luxury is good, but not like a fully loaded XC90. Very competitive price for what you get.
  • EQS is the highest level of luxury but lacks performance, and storage. It's also pricey. Decent off-road performance (believe it or not) but nothing like an R1S. Probably one of the best road trip 3-row EVs.
  • Model X is starting to feel dated, has so so quality, great performance on road, poor off-road performance, but price is way too high. Best for super charger network. Not much else in my opinion (coming from a previous Model X owner).
  • EV9 will be the best in terms of price, but will be at the lowest level of luxury. Perfect for someone simply looking to get into a large 3-row electric SUV with good specs, but doesn't want to break the bank.
The EX90 could lure us away from our R1S order if they can delivery on excellent storage, competitive price, great on-road efficiency, and fast charging. I would prefer the luxury of the current XC90 over the R1S, but the R1S has much better tech. I don't need the off-road performance, especially with our R1T as our camping go everywhere vehicle. We really want a great on-road 3-row EV that can haul 3 kids, 2 large dogs, and a bunch of gear, yet has typical German SUV luxury.

We have an order for an EQS SUV as well (no deposit required) but will most likely cancel. Price is more than we wanted to spend ($120k+) and lacks a front truck and roof rails.

R1S is still top of our list, but the EX90 will be one to watch.
This articulates how I feel perfectly... Down to the conclusion

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Both will be good. My money will go to who can give me the vehicle first.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Totally agree with what you're saying. Anyone who says the Kia will be a competitor to the XC90 hasn't sat in both. There's a reason many reviewers who has sat in a Rivian compares the finish to Volvo (I can point to at least 3 reviewers that did this). The Volvo finish of the interior will absolutely surpass Kia. At least in Canada the bigger ID cars won't be coming for a while so there's a good chance I can get my hands on an EX90 before my R1S is ready.

To your point, I don't think 90% of folks who are talking about Volvo have actually sat in one. As someone who Owned a Benz and BMW prior to my XC90, I can tell you the Volvo is on par if not superior in some aspects.
You clearly haven't sat in a top of the line Telluride.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Just had the talk with the wife who is next in line for an EV. “Pre-order the XC-90 on day 1 and decide later if you really want it. Don’t delay the initial decision, you’ll have plenty of time for the final decision.”

Last edited:

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This is likely the only true option that would make me switch from my R1S pre-order. We love our XC90 but want to go EV. If the rumors are true that it may launch in 2023 then it will be a race to see who can get me a car first - Rivian or Volvo. Understanding the Rivian is the better all-round vehicle and a marvel is many respects, but I fully anticipate the Volvo to also be much more affordable.
Probably not MUCH MORE affordable. Will be their top of the line offering

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Just had the talk with the wife who is next in line for an EV. “Pre-order the XC-90 on day 1 and decide later if you really want it. Don’t wait to decide.”
A woman of conviction!!!!

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
I got all of this for $50k in the Kia Telluride including Nappa leather seats, HK sound system, Ventilated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, sun curtains, AWD. Only thing missing from this list, 21" wheels. Kia comes with 20" wheels.

If you guys haven't test driven/been in a Telluride, I highly recommend it. I test drove both XC and Kia before making my decision.

And believe me, I did not want to go to a KIA because its a KIA. But their higher package cars are really worth taking a look at. Just good value for what you pay.
I've been a committed Volvo customer for years, and went from an XC-90 to a Telluride. It's an impressive car, and not far from Volvo-levels in comfort and capability, even at my trim level (EX-Premium, so leather but not Nappa, no HUD or some other nice to haves). The Volvo had a pretty big edge in performance however: it was a V8 Sport. The Rivian was supposed to be the XC-90's replacement, but the continued delays forced me to get an interim car (the XC-90 was 13 and had become a real money pit, the Achilles heel of luxury vehicles).

The Telluride is a worthy XC-90 successor, and changed my mind about Kia. After owning one, you realize why Consumer Reports rates the Telly so far above every other mid-size SUV. Based on my Telluride experience, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the EV9 if it becomes available before the Rivian. The EV-90 could also be a great alternative, if Volvo can manage to keep it under $90k.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I'm glad the last two posts back me up with the Telluride. I have the SX-P, fully loaded and my sister has a fully loaded XC-90...

She asked if I'd trade SUVs because she feels like my Telluride is much more nimble yet feels just as luxurious... I said no thank you! Haha.

I'd buy the EV9 in a heartbeat if I wasn't this far down the road with Rivian...

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I’ll never buy a car where theres a risk of it catching fire for having a tow hitch. That and Kia/Hyundai dealers are the absolute worst. If they can bypass the dealers, no franchise laws up here, I would consider in EV9 though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I'm glad the last two posts back me up with the Telluride. I have the SX-P, fully loaded and my sister has a fully loaded XC-90...

She asked if I'd trade SUVs because she feels like my Telluride is much more nimble yet feels just as luxurious... I said no thank you! Haha.

I'd buy the EV9 in a heartbeat if I wasn't this far down the road with Rivian...
I mean, with all due respect, one of the posts you're referencing compared the Telluride to a 13 year old pre-refresh XC90, not exactly comparing apples with apples....and even then I reread his post he still says the Tell isn't "far from" the 13 year old Volvo and the way it's worded puts the Volvo ahead of the Tell is most respects. I guess people gleam what they want from posts.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
I mean, with all due respect, one of the posts you're referencing compared the Telluride to a 13 year old pre-refresh XC90, not exactly comparing apples with apples....and even then I reread his post he still says the Tell isn't "far from" the 13 year old Volvo and the way it's worded puts the Volvo ahead of the Tell is most respects. I guess people gleam what they want from posts.
When someone begins a statement with all due respect they mean nothing but respect...

I don't agree with you dissecting @Yossarian post above and the conclusion you reached. He sounded quite reasonably impressed with going from a Volvo to a Telluride...

Nowhere is he comparing 13 year old tech against a new Telluride.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Built on the same platform as the PS3 which is also going to be made in the same plant. Makes sense. Hopefully it does well. IMO the PS2 is the most fun and well thought out EV.
Sponsored