Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
We loved our 2016 XC90. Really looking forward to seeing the reveal of the EX90.

Rivian is local and employee friends and family members so the R1S is our first choice. The Volvo will be our backup plan unless the price is crazy.
Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
We loved our 2016 XC90. Really looking forward to seeing the reveal of the EX90.

Rivian is local and employee friends and family members so the R1S is our first choice. The Volvo will be our backup plan unless the price is crazy.
Given the PS3 is 100k, Iā€™d wager that the EX90 starts at 100 and goes well into high 120ā€™s. Itā€™ll be a better car than Rivian for sure. Not off-road capable but better overall.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
As others note, whether snobbery or otherwise, do not discount the Korean EV auto manufacturers. I was guilty of doing so and have been pleasantly surprised. We have had multiple Volvoā€™s and German uber SUVā€™s/sedans over the years.

Not only do JD Power Initial quality ratings put the Koreans in 3 of the top 5 slots, but our Hyundai Ioniq 5 at half the price of our Rivian has many features the Rivian lacks, including:

- 800V battery tech
- 4 Regen modes engaged by paddle shifters
- Econ/All Purpose/Sport modes engaged by button on steering wheel
- Snow Mode
- CarPlay
- Available HUD
- 2 years of free EA charging

Iā€™m not suggesting the I5 is a luxury EV competitor, but those can be found or will be available shortly. Same for VW EV SUVā€™s.

Sponsored

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Is PS3 supposed to be more performance oriented while the EX90 will be more luxury oriented?

GR

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Is PS3 supposed to be more performance oriented while the EX90 will be more luxury oriented?

GR
That was SUPPOSED to be the MO, but the performance focused PS3 falls flat on it's face if you ask me. I didn't see a single performance oriented spec on it, other than the sport tuned suspension in the performance pack. Moderate power/speed specs (for an EV) and the same dual motor setup that most use. Basically just a eTron Sportback competitor.

Volvo version will just be three row version with a less sportback shape.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I read that the XC40 recharge is BEV based on its ICE sibling's chassis. Is the EX90 based on a BEV chassis?

GR

Sponsored

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
I read that the XC40 recharge is BEV based on its ICE sibling's chassis. Is the EX90 based on a BEV chassis?

GR
Yes, I understand that the EX90 will be based on the Polestar 3 platform, which is a bespoke EV platform.

UhOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf
I just noticed something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere... the interior/UI visuals show a range of 488 KM, which is more than 300 miles. I guess 300 miles is table stakes these days, but that's still good news about the EV90 and keeps it competitive with the R1S. The image looks like the battery might not be entirely full, so will be interesting to see if the range is actually more than that.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Given the PS3 is 100k, Iā€™d wager that the EX90 starts at 100 and goes well into high 120ā€™s. Itā€™ll be a better car than Rivian for sure. Not off-road capable but better overall.
Hopefully Volvo doesn't remove 12V outlets....

Reactions: Jac

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
If I could be sure of getting it within a year, Iā€™d probably switch to the Volvo at this point. Even though I still think the Rivian is cooler. Iā€™m sick of making excuses for Rivian, and sick of their barely-not-dishonest and always way too late comms about delivery status.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
If I could be sure of getting it within a year, Iā€™d probably switch to the Volvo at this point. Even though I still think the Rivian is cooler. Iā€™m sick of making excuses for Rivian, and sick of their barely-not-dishonest and always way too late comms about delivery status.
According to your signature, you have a LE on order and that would be the old pricing. I understand you have been waiting for a long time, but the difference in price would be huge, especially if the EX90 ends up more than $100K when nicely equipped.

GR
Sponsored